Diablo® III

+ atk speed % = + damage?

I've noticed one thing that item which gives attacking speed bonus, give more damage (on the character screen) than an item which actually gives me higher main attribute

For an example here: Demon Hunter
I have this amulet, +120ish Dex, with +14% attacking speed
the system says this amulet makes higher damage than my
190ish Dex amulet

I started to wonder, by the higher damage, does that means damage per second?
And with my higher Dex amulet, it DOES gives higher damage, but just slower than attack, which doesnt show on the character screen?

Anyone had that figured out?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
you have to account for effective gains for that to make sense
(initial - final) / initial

when you have 1000 dex, 100 damage gets multiplied by
[1+1000/100] = 11 = 1,100 damage

at 1120 dex it is
[1 + 1120/100] = 12.2 = 1,220 damage

(1220-1100)/1100 = 10.9% effective increase

but if you have 0 ias% the +14% = 14% effective

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4254457226
damage equation formula - the same is true for single wield, just ignore the avg APS and avg weapon stuff
Edited by zoid#1554 on 7/3/2012 9:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In that case, if i am a DH, which rely on planting mines on the ground, and kite monsters into it.

It seems like the + atk speed wouldnt actually affect my attack when my attack isnt base on speed? But the actual dex would gives me higher damage instead?
Edited by spyder#1382 on 5/22/2012 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
In that case, if i am a DH, which rely on planting mines on the ground, and kite monsters into it.

It seems like the + atk speed wouldnt actually affect my attack when my attack isnt base on speed? But the actual dex would gives me higher damage instead?

I haven't tested how APS works on minions such as companion/traps, certainly ones that only trigger once. however cooldown and limited use effect tend to favor damage range, NOT dps weapons with speed

operate under the assumption traps favor slow weapons and have no use for IAS/APS until tests show otherwise. in this case the character DPS is misleading (it is misleading for cooldown heavy attacks anyway)
Edited by zoid#1554 on 5/22/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
yes, this is making a confusion for me. However the good thing about the DH mine trap is that there is no CD.

it seems like I would have to test it out myself then. :D
Reply Quote
Go simple math.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
yes, this is making a confusion for me. However the good thing about the DH mine trap is that there is no CD.

it seems like I would have to test it out myself then. :D

DPS is an infinite continuous average, a proxy for average comparisons on gear totals
it is a poor proxy for anything that is not continuous

for traps (and other cd's or limited abilities) you have limits on the actual 'trigger' speed/rates and number you can have out at once, as well as bonuses for any Area of effect, or hits on a variable of multiple targets
Edited by zoid#1554 on 5/22/2012 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]