Diablo® III

2h Barbarian Inferno Build

85 Tauren Death Knight
So I find it insulting that Blizzard said "every class is a dps class" and then expects melee to go tanks with sword and board for inferno difficulty while everyone else just kites monsters to death. Thus I refuse to pick up a shield on my barbarian.

First of all, this works for me with my gear, others may not have the gear or like the play style but I find it fun and effective - so far. I am still farming act 1 inferno for gear, as I get spanked in act 2 because everything hits so hard, which I blame for my weak low-mid 50`s gear on all but 3 of my slots. I suspect it will work once i get a few more upgrades for act 2.

I was using a 2h with 670~ dps, around 850 top end, then my friend found a magic 2h mace from Act 2 Inferno with 1037~ dps and 1350~ top end. The top end is most important for 2h, as it means your % based skills do more damage.

Maximize STR, gem for STR, except the amazing helm slot for a Amethyst (purple) because of the huge HP bonus. However, stats are priotized as thus:
Str->Stam->Dex->Resists(Resist all)->Armor. You will need to hit things hard, then be able to take damage since you're in melee, dodge will help a lot, especially against bosses and hard hitters, resist All elements is really the main focus but Fire would be the most important one since Molten, Mortar and Fire Chains are so brutal in inferno. Armor is last because the other stats are just more important, however it should be something to consider.

Skills

Left Mouse Button: Bash - Onslaught: This is great for single targets, all 3 hits have a chance to "interrupt" most monsters/elites/champions which makes small groups easier to deal with.

Right Mouse Button: Seismic Slam - Strength From Earth: The lowered cost basically turns the skill into a 310% weapon damage attack, this is GREAT for large groups of monsters, very few monsters are immune to the knock back.

1: Ground Stomp - Trembling Stomp: This isn't really important on whick rune you use, i like this one because it adds damage to the skill, and with a 2h it's effective enough. Helps a lot with getting more damage out of Earthquake.

2: Furious Charge - Dreadnought: The charge is great for a small interrupt if needed, the healing is great, but it makes for an amazing escape when you get surrounded or are in a corner you need to get out of.

3: War Cry - Impunity: This or invigorate work well with Inspiring Presence, the more resists yuo have the better impunity becomes, it is a 50% bonus to whatever value your resist is, so if you have 2 you get 1 extra, or if you have 200 you get 100 extra. Stacks well with Superstition.

4. Earthquake - The Mountains Call: Making this skill have no cost means all your Fury can be used for Seismic Slam, so your AoE damage becomes very high. This is especially helpful with elite/champion packs because you can use it more often - which becomes very important if you die and have to run back..zz..heh...

Passives:
Superstition - 20% resist to all magic damage, very important in Inferno when almost ever champion pack has Molten, Mortar or Arcane Enchantment. The Fury gain isn't really that great, but it can help fuel more Seismic Slam spam.

Inspiring Presence - 1% of your max hp per second on War Cry for the first minute + double duration. This isn't really important, but the alternatives aren't much better.

Juggernaut - 20% disable duration is huge in Inferno, also the free heal can save you many times against frozen/jailer/knockback(yes, it works vs knockback)/nightmarish elite/champions.

Now how to play. It is pretty straight forward. Against groups you kite them around till they are bunched up, in inferno they mostly just swarm you anyway, then either toss off a few bash hits or if you can't take much damage yet, stun them, charge through, shout then spam seismic slam on them. With my weapon I do around 30k~ damage to each monster hit, 2 hits and most monsters are dead in a solo game. Of course if you have a weaker weapon, more is just fine, just keep kiting the monsters till you can slam and charge again.

Against elites i let them group on me, I stun, then earthquake immediately - unless they are shielding, then you wait till after the shield falls off. Save charge for the heal as you will need it. spam seismic slam, charge when needed, pay attention to health globes.

Against champions, you want to focus on removing the minions first. If the monster has immune minions, you might want to try running past/away from them. I don't know of anyone who likes or can easily deal with that modifier on champions with any class. Other than that, once the minions are down from AoE it's pretty easy with onslaught to 1vs1 a champion.

Anyway, that's the gist, hopefully barbarians do get a buff to Dual Weild crit builds, as well as some more "oomph" to 2h builds. I also hope they fix some of the passives to be more robust and not so useless. Bloodthirsty, Animosity, Boon of Bul'Kathos to name a few are useless - 3% life leech isn't good until you do damage and once you do everything hits so hard the % isn't enough, 10% of 15 is 1.5, yay 1.5 extra fury every 10 seconds...yawn, 30seconds off a 120 second cooldown? sweet, oh wait, then I lose out on the much more important defensive passives that have a much higher impact on the game.
Reply Quote
great post
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 01:24 AMPosted by Protodoom
I was using a 2h with 670~ dps, around 850 top end, then my friend found a magic 2h mace from Act 2 Inferno with 1037~ dps and 1350~ top end. The top end is most important for 2h, as it means your % based skills do more damage.

Weapon top end damage doesn't actually matter as skills are normalized for weapon speed. Your abilities hit for the same with a 1000 dps with slow attack and high top end as with a 1000 dps weapon with fast attack and lower damage.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 04:11 AMPosted by HomoMoonBrok

Weapon top end damage doesn't actually matter as skills are normalized for weapon speed. Your abilities hit for the same with a 1000 dps with slow attack and high top end as with a 1000 dps weapon with fast attack and lower damage.

Has this been confirmed somewhere?
Reply Quote
ty this was a pretty good read. beefy build with a lot of control abilities.
Reply Quote
Absolutely fantastic guide. It is really effective to almost any encounter. Although I am only in Act I though, it will be interesting to see how it will play out in Act II. I use Deafening Crash for Ground Stomp for the slow to be able to seismic slam them more, instead of using the Trembling Stomp for extra damage. Elite encounters are still challenging, but like you said, the fire resist along with other resistances is key.

+1
Reply Quote
how many times do you die as this build?
Reply Quote
Great build, it seems well thought.

The only thing I can notice, is that you don't use Revenge. It is one of the better skills of the Barbarian for me, allowing your character to heal a lot and deal mass zone damage around him (especially with a great 2H weapon). It could work well with your Earthquake strategy to stay few seconds longer in the middle of the ennemies, keeping them into the Earthquake and dealing additionnal damages. Maybe instead of War Cry, with Veangence is mine to get more fury for your Seismic slams ?

Boon of Bul- Kathos could be great instead of inspiring presence, to Earthquake more often.
Edited by Caill0u#2454 on 5/24/2012 5:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
video or it didn't happen.
Reply Quote
A terrible build compared to Timerobbers tbh.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149540401?page=1

Superstition is never worth it in Inferno, it doesn't do anything. Never take it.
Frenzy > Bash in all situations and so on..
And a build without revenge is always lol...
You cant serious rate dex over all resi?
Edited by snakzz#2295 on 5/24/2012 6:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks dude, just got through act 1 inferno solo, and now that I am in act 2 i needed a big change, followed everything and hoping it goes it. thanks
Reply Quote
The only viable 2-handed builds are "tank builds" with tank stats and tank skills, but wielding a 2-hander.

The end result is that it's not an effective DPS build by all means, nor is it a good tank build (in fact you'd need even more gear than a regular tank to survive due to lack of shield). It does look good however, which is probably why people bother with it.
Reply Quote
I refuse to tank in inferno and doing just fine thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Protodoom: What kind of stats do you have? HP and damage-wise, just want to see how I stack up.
Reply Quote

Has this been confirmed somewhere?

This is the case but it doesnt really matter. I find I take so much damage I fill my rage very quickly. And as far as damage/fury, harder hitting weapons are better. I kill much better with a high damage slow 2H weapon.

If you're not using seismic slam (as many don't) raw damage prob doesn't matter.
Edited by Kingsmash#1881 on 5/26/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with you mostly, but I've tried both and I kinda like frenzy with maniac more than bash, but I haven't beaten act 2 yet, so I'll give bash another whirl.
Reply Quote
People actually use Bash? Wow O.o

I've always found Superstition to be lackluster. It seems great in concept, but I really find myself dying a lot more without my nerves of steel/tough as nails. And since I use Wotb+quake, boon is almost an auto choice. (boon stacks with moutain's call, which is actually really nice.)

I'm curious to why you think Dodge is better then all resists? Sure your build is semi-kitie, but ranged spells still hit you pretty often. I would think all resists would just be an auto choice over dex.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]