Diablo® III

Can artisan add socket?

I looked on the game guide and it looks like the jeweler can add sockets to items but the option is not there ingame.
Sockets are from player-crafted items :)
When creating certain items you will get a 'Socket' which would be were the magic abilities would be shown.

Hope this helps.
Sockets are from player-crafted items :)
When creating certain items you will get a 'Socket' which would be were the magic abilities would be shown.

Hope this helps.

Wait so why did the game guide say jeweler can add socket?
It might be a later recipe.
100 Night Elf Druid
You have to lvl artisan's ablities by paying gold. He will socket for you when hes at a high enough lvl I'd say.
bumping this, where's our socketing!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/jeweler/
Shen can etch a socket into shields, helms, belts, or pants

jay even replied that the info was outdated and you can socket weapons as well

lv 7 Jeweler here and still no add sockets option, Do have to farm inferno to unlock this socketing feature?
Edited by PhoenixDown#1904 on 5/18/2012 12:59 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.
Well. It's official. The next expansion pack in two years will have an enchanting artisan :-P
05/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference.

I just wanted to say I completely agree with this statement. I've experienced it myself while playing.

If you could add sockets, basically everything you itemize would require it. Why not balance stuff without the added step? Well done.
Edited by Helios#1847 on 5/18/2012 4:07 PM PDT
As an aside, I just want to say that when I rescued the Enchanting artisan, and realized who she was, then realized I wouldn't be seeing her again, I got a little sad :\
I was wondering that myself. Thanks for clearing it up Zarhym.
It'd be way better to just have every item drop with a socket than to have almost no items with sockets in the game. This really devalues gems imho. :/ Maybe with the expansion when we get jewels / runes / something else too.
Felt like a chore == Enhanced complexity. There's just only so much complexity you can remove before we get items and look at the pretty green numbers and equip them. I like to think "hey, if I socket this and drop an X gem in this socket, it's actually better, even though it shows as worse right now!"
85 Tauren Druid
lol

I was going crazy, was trying to :P
will there be future gems. i was thinking of this telling friend how much customization can change the game. i like how the item can be different everytime and gems is more valued depending on which random properties u get.

right now! My barb at 47 with decent gear does about 1k dmg ,none crtical hits, with critical hits 2k dmg. with ancient hammer 4-5k dmgs . and if u turn on wrath skill that increase your stuff, you could do 5k, 8k, 10k dmg with critical hits.

i luv how you made d3 , so much customization from skills to crafting or item drop, and difficulty to choose from different level of standard players can handle.
Edited by N0Frames#1362 on 5/18/2012 4:48 PM PDT
have to agree with Blizzard on this change...enchanting and adding sockets always felt like a chore or a "tax" on new gear in any MMO that had those features and it wouldn't feel any better here

the only boring thing about gems though is that you pretty much only have two choices for "Other:" your primary stat or vitality.
Edited by ElevenEleven#1177 on 5/18/2012 4:43 PM PDT
05/18/2012 04:42 PMPosted by ElevenEleven
the only boring thing about gems though is that you pretty much only have two choices for "Other:" your primary stat or vitality.

Same thing with armor that has more than 2 primary stats, it's a waste most of the time. :( The best items I've found have just had 1-2 affixes and multiple sockets.
100 Troll Priest
Unfortunately, we're at a point with the game where it's a loot based reward system, with mostly poor items. If i get another witch doctor item that has STRENGTH and DEXTERITY, I seriously just want to stop playing. The class itself feels broken enough with how weak the "pets" already are, not getting any gear to help isn't making me feel any better.

Instead of being excited to see a yellow drop or something, I'm more skeptical to see how flat out bad the item itself is. That's a horrendous failing.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]