Diablo® III

Can artisan add socket?

With how weak gems are compared to stat affixes, it seems like socketed items will be the black sheep end game now. It was nice when they were an addon to an already good item but now they are more of a drawback
That's pretty lame. Easily one of the most fun things in D2 was sockets, gems and runes and now in D3 it feels neutered and pointless for the most part.

You easily could have made it hard to add sockets like costing an extreme amount of gold or a ton of pages of jewel crafting or even both. Then it would alleviated the problem you had with the system.
Edited by Skapocalypse#1789 on 5/18/2012 6:16 PM PDT
05/18/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Angstrom
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uVdmdzfb0

Great video, thanks for the link.
05/18/2012 05:54 PMPosted by Crazycast
Your D3 item property system has many parallels with WoW. run speed on boots, primary stat gemming on armor and rings, special gem bonuses on helms. Maybe it would be nice to continue with this for such as being able to add gem sockets to belts. Enchanting would be very cool as well. You could add the functionality to the jeweler NPC but it wouldn't be nearly as much of a chore only having to do it once in awhile.

uninstall diablo 3 and go play wow.

No no no, I love WoW players telling Blizzard to make Diablo more like WoW. As if its a better game or something. Funny huh?
SO they've now basically deleted yet ANOTHER part of customization.

I could choose my 6 skill points and be the same as anyone else in the game within 20 seconds.

BUT atleast i could have socketed my items with 3-4 sockets and chose a combo of the 20 or so total sockets. Atleast then i could make it somewhat my own instead of being the same as everyone else. Thanks blizzard.

God forbit this game requires a TINY bit of thinking or planning. Cater to the weekend warriors and the flavors of the week...
05/18/2012 06:08 PMPosted by Shadowmant
With how weak gems are compared to stat affixes, it seems like socketed items will be the black sheep end game now. It was nice when they were an addon to an already good item but now they are more of a drawback

Yes I was thinking the same thing too, especially when I found my first +170 to stat item, gems cant compete, 3 sockets on armor is bad.
05/18/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Andood
Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.

This sounds like a lesson very well learned from the WoW experience.

Overload on item 'customizations' that become an absolute requirement only detract from the gaming experience

Yeah because streamlining any sort of complexity or choice down to the lowest common denominator is so much better. It's amazing to me how this has swept the industry and games being dumbed down are actually encouraged.
i dont think finding an item and having to return to town to socket it, is a chore at all. u dont HAVE to return to base to socket it right away anyways, u can wait till u go back to sell your loot. also i think they should add more gems >_< just 4 is very standardized. but then again, that would just eat up more space in my already half full of gem stash.
lol the idea of it almost got me excited but nevertheless, its a good decision to take it out.
85 Draenei Mage
well, the only critique i would have is missing the diamonds uping the resistances when added to a sheild. i have lost track of how many times i have been poisoned to death by the attack tree flowers. why was that really handy gem left out? nobody will soon forget needing the resistances maxed out and then some, just to stay alive long enough to defeat Diablo. making yourelf practically immune to elemental dammage was the most useful thing ever. please bring diamonds back even if i cant have a 4 socketed sheild right now? oh, and while we are making suggestions and requests, how about some other dye colors?? i love that i can change up my coloring, but i would love to see red, purple, pink and black please!!!
So basically we cant add sockets in our items yet or we can??
85 Draenei Mage
05/18/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Spectral

This sounds like a lesson very well learned from the WoW experience.

Overload on item 'customizations' that become an absolute requirement only detract from the gaming experience

Yeah because streamlining any sort of complexity or choice down to the lowest common denominator is so much better. It's amazing to me how this has swept the industry and games being dumbed down are actually encouraged.

remember that its just come out of beta. think of it like vanilla wow. just being able to change your coloring is a good thing already. they do read this stuff and pay attention to what we want, just be patient and look forward to what comes as they get the kinks hammered out. :)
Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.

I can't say I agree with the decision, but I understand the reasoning. For me personally this makes me question whether collecting gems will be worth the effort, as I don't know the "cost" in item terms of the sockets. For example, if you have an item roll bottom tier, it's probable that an open socket is worth more than a straight stat that can be placed by gem, as you could use a higher tier gem to get a larger effect. But on a top tier item that may not hold true. Without that information it's very difficult to assume that gems will be worth carrying, and considering it will take a lot of farming at higher difficulties to get gems with larger effects, it's quite possible it would never make sense.

Blizz's developers are pretty smart, and I'm sure they did some amazing balancing act that makes it worth it, and I'm still going to collect for that reason. But it is going to be that much harder to compare now, versus being able to look at the base stats and go. Personally I would prefer to be able to add the sockets (maybe at a high cost or requiring some rare mat to do so, in order to make it less automatic of a decision) when I find a piece of gear that would be better except it has no socket.

To me, it seems like I'm just less likely to find an upgrade if I'm already wearing the gem.
05/18/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Shadowed
Speaking of Gems and sockets, I find it annoying that When comparing one weapon with an empty socket to your current weapon with a filled socket, it Does not TRULY compare the items and you essentially have to unsocket the gem and compare them without it to see which one would be better after the gem is added.

Totally agree, it really is annoying.
i hate paying high $ to craft something of my own with my wizard and 3 times in a row i get strength on it instead on intel >_<
read guys. they said they could put it in the future in the game, depend if they need to kick it up a notch. i was reading people are getting smashed in inferno.
Im really sorry to say, I think this was a bad choice on the devs side.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]