Diablo® III

Can artisan add socket?

Have to agree with Blizzard on this one. I'm really not interested in adding sockets to every item I drop. Give me a good item all fleshed out over a socketed item any time.

A socketed item never feels complete to me... some might think that's a good thing but I just want my sweet gear and don't want to mess with it. Sure, I use sockets... I'd be just as happy if they were not in the game though.
The goal is to make it not feel like a chore. Socket every item you get? Are you insane?

No I really have to ask, are you insane?

This idea, this concept, that we must somehow socket everything is a stupid one. Why do you think that's what being asked? It should be costly to give yourself a highly sought after upgrade. Something you have to think about.

A chore? Not at all.

We want the ability to give the in game mechanics more use.
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Except an weapon without a socket is pretty worthless.
100 Draenei Priest
I fully agree with the design philosophy on this. If every item can have a socket added to it, then there's no value to it. You'll always have that +str (or whatever you use) in that slot forever more, and it's just causing you to have to mod the gear each time.

Plus, without the ability to add sockets, it makes drops of gear that has sockets a nice reward and an interesting decision as to whether to use it. Do I switch out my current piece and lose my +10% Gold Find and +50 strength so that I can add a +15% Magic Find gem? Can I afford the str loss? Do I care more about Magic Find or about winning harder fights?

I know that's a simplified example that's probably obvious to many, but you get the point - you're given genuine choices to make that you as the player have to make.

I'm still scrubbing around in normal mode, so I'm just stacking Magic Find up to the sky (I'm at like 70%) even if it means keep that level 4 belt with 8 armour on it. I'm sure when I get to the harder difficulties that I'll have to start making trade-offs, and those kind of decisions are what make the game fun, not just having extra ways to add the same arbitrary number to every piece of gear.

Think how tedious it is in WoW. Get a new piece, enchant, gem, reforge, transmog. There's no decisions to be made - you already know what the best enchant is, what the best gem is, what your best secondary stat is, and what your transmog set it. Granted, there's the hit-cap to negotiate and you can change your transmog when you want, but 99% of the time, you're just going through the chore of motions and expenses that come with upgrading.

Good call, Blizzard folks.
91 Blood Elf Paladin
^
Check the auction house. You'd be surprised the prices people sell some items.

I always look for my primary stat + vitality and magic find is generally the 3rd stat that interests me the most outside of weapons. I like to get weapons with primary/vit/socket/life steal the most.
still maintenance ??why cant login??
Why would take out a feature added to the game to make it better and acculty I think it would of been fun for us to be able to freaking add sockets... and what not.. way to rep your game and like say that your going to be able to socket items when i look on youtube of a preview of the crafting and socketing weapons / etc feature's .. with artisans .

this feature was one of the reason I pre-ordered my copy of diablo 3 way to drop the ball hopefully there are going to be patches for this soon cause socketing has been a major feature in diablo for ever and was one of my favorate features in the game that made it different then other games back then.... and you guys removed because of a few peoples opinions which isnt very logical when i didn't even get into the closed beta.. i signed up for like a long time ago..

Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.
05/18/2012 03:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
Artisans cannot add sockets to items. That information about the jeweler in the game guide of our website is erroneous and we're in the process of updating it.

You might want to update the game graphics as well. The table to the right of the jeweler, which is currently used for combining gems, clearly has a socketing icon and tools on it. The first level has the actual gem combiner behind the jeweler, but it can't be clicked on, and it's nowhere to be seen on higher levels.

Socketing was a feature that was in the game very early on, but ultimately it didn't end up enhancing the play experience as we had hoped. Instead it just kind of felt like a chore. It's a really good feeling to see an upgrade drop, equip it, and keep moving on. When adding sockets to items was inserted into that equation, it made it feel mandatory to return to town every time an upgrade dropped to pull the gem from your current item, add a socket to the new one, and carry your gem forward. There's already a little bit of this in Diablo III with gems, but the fact that you can make a choice in most situations on whether or not to use a socketed item makes a big difference. As another consequence, the ability to add sockets made the random rolling of a socket as an item affix feel kind of crappy. And given the way items and stats are generated in this game anyway–you’ll virtually never get the same item with the same stats twice–we don’t currently feel there’s a major lack of customization depth.

Adding complexity to systems isn't a problem for us, but it has to enhance the gameplay, not add to it an element of tedium just for the sake of intricacy. Ultimately this is why adding sockets was pulled. Now, if we feel down the road that the item game needs some new flair, we'll absolutely consider additional customization features (such as enchanting or socketing). But we have to make sure they're designed in such a way that the game is enriched through the added complexity, without creating a convoluted item system that detracts from the initial excitement you feel when you get an epic new weapon or piece of gear.

Why not post such explanations BEFOREHAND? Your reasons make total sense and after reading your post, I agree that I wouldn't have wanted manual socketing in the game as well. But please..next time inform your customers beforehand instead of letting erroneous information deceive people into making decisions they regret later on.
A socket on a weapon or armor should be no more valuable then the cost to put the socket on the weapon or armor. Period.

Why is a gem valuable if it is perfect? The length of time it took to get it there.

Actually let me ask an even better question. Why does a socket count towards an items affixes?

I have been getting items with 100 Dex, 120 Strength, 170 Intellect, 110 Vitality. And a socket takes one of these stats place?

The only socket slot worth being socketed in the game right now is the damn weapon and helmet slot, and it primarily should have a Ruby for the weapon.

Sockets in the game right now are only ever worth it if the piece of armor hits your main stats, and has sockets, because then it just adds a little bit more to it. Sockets aren't worth our time at all.

You don't want to devalue sockets? I have run into countless socketed rings, and amulets, With only a socket. You want to know what those are? Complete and total trash.

Sockets and gems are a useless feature in the long haul right now. Level 50 by the way. The only time I use them is as an after thought if I ended up with slots.

Let's put it this way. Actual in game discussion.

This weapon would be awesome if it had a slot, but sadly it does not.

Hey this armor is awesome, often lacking a slot entirely.

You've made a mechanic where the players, are getting to level 50, and not being able to use their gems. No I'm dead serious, I'm giving all my gems to my friend and as a group we are sitting on the Cave of Wonders as far as gems go, and we have very little use for them on any form of regular basis. And when we do, it was a huge off chance.

Make it pricey, make it costly, make it something you have to put effort into. Not everything in Diablo has to be based purely on luck.

I mean hell. In D2 the only reason Rune words worked so well was because the items didn't need to have anything other then sockets to make an item powerful. Here? If all we have is 4 sockets on a piece of gear, that gear is completely worthless no matter how you place those gems.

What do we have to work towards? A Blacksmith, a Gem smith, and a Stash. Those take Gold, and farmed items, It isn't hard to achieve, but it isn't easy either. These take work, and effort.

So make sockets take work and effort. Don't make it easy. It sure as hell shouldn't be made mandatory unless your shooting for absolute best.

A lack of being able to socket gear takes a huge part of customization and use of gems away from the hands of the player.

I remember defending Diablo 3's customization saying we would customize our stats through gems and sockets. Which while still true, when you luck all your players into the character customization aspect entirely instead of giving players the option to make their own luck on sockets, the player begins to miss out on a huge aspect of the game, and it is a huge aspect of the game, the number of gems that drop is proof enough this is a large part of the game.
Hey blizz, can you rethink that socketing for WHITE items! cause it would make them worth picking up to some people like me!

what has happened to blizzard, look at this guy.. is he serious?

people like this is why blizzard is such a terrible company these days.

absolutely terrible.

NO they are NOT!!! if you hate Blizz that bad then i hope you cancelled your account as soon as you posted this if thats how you really feel. i deal with them mostly over the phone and they have been nothing short of wonderful! the similarites mentioned between their other games such as WoW and D2, are probably there because they got it right the first time. i still remember the bright purple Sanders Ripwrap Boots with the 40+ run speed from D2; my mage on that game wore them long after she should have just for that one stat. i dont know about anybody else, but i find it a bit comforting when i see something that smacks of the other games because they were and still are fun. my friends and i cant be the only ones who bring our comps to each others houses now and again for a weekend to play older blizz games for nostalgias sake. relax please. sure its a bit on the vanilla side, but they have to start someplace with it. they do read these and listen to us, so just hang in there and let them work it out. sheesh!

It's suck ups like this that keep devs from changing games for the better :|

Blindly agreeing with their every decision is not good for the game.

Not being able to add sockets limits the how long an item will be useful and forces people to go back to grinding loot drops. It takes out player choice yet again from a game that has done that already quite a bit compared to its predecessors.
I agree with Blizz on this call seeing as I'm already sinking tons of money...but I think that it would have been nice if socketing had been handled in D2 where there was one quest where you got to add sockets to an item but you could only get the reward once per difficulty for a total of 4 socketted items for a character total.
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but there was a quest in D2 that you could used to add sockets to an item. This was doable only once (per difficulty? I can't remember), but made you think really hard before doing so. Can anyone confirm whether this kind of thing is available in D3?
90 Undead Mage
I like the idea of being able to add sockets to things, however I can also understand the point made earlier on in this thread by blue. Why not make the socket adding capability a limited quantity? It's been some years now since I've played diablo II but if I recall isn't there a 'quest' where u can add 3 sockets per character (1 socket per difficulty level) to items, but once those quests are used up you're out of luck? Maybe a rare event spawn in D3 with the add socket function? Just ideas.
The games is done again.

I just want to login it said full put me on waiting list than now is down.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]