Diablo® III

Diablo 2 Story blows this out of the water

The story in D2 is original, complex, and unpredictable. The story in D3 is a cliche hollywood movie where the twists are seen from a mile away, the dalogue is laughable, and key events make absolutely no logical sense.
Reply Quote
If you think Diablo 2 has an original story compared to Diablo 3, I suggest you take the nostalgia glasses off and take another look.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't say D2's story was original, but yes I agree the plot and characters were much better. I think when Bill Roper and friends left, there was no one left to really stand up to Metzen and the Blizzard Irvine writers and just say "no, this is stupid".
Edited by Hexxus#1912 on 5/15/2012 11:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The story in D2 is original, complex, and unpredictable. quote]

[quote="51485819735"]The story in D2 is original, complex, and unpredictable.

Yes because follow the prime evils and try to stop them before they enact their plans is so unpredictable. The moment you saw Marius take the soul stone out of Tal Rasha you knew Baal was going to get it back. Diablo was going to retake the throne of hell. The only really intriguing thing was Mephisto corrupting the seat of power of the church of zakurum.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 10:36 PMPosted by LanCeR
The story in D2 is original, complex, and unpredictable. The story in D3 is a cliche hollywood movie where the twists are seen from a mile away, the dalogue is laughable, and key events make absolutely no logical sense.

Troll copy & pasted this from the SC2 forum (which was itself copied and pasted from elsewhere) and swapped in "D2" and "D3" for "SC1" and "SC2".

D2 was easily predictable... "We have to stop the wanderer! Oh noes, we got there too late! Alright, we have another chance! Oh noes, we got there too late again! Oh, we finally killed him! But it was merely a diversion!"
Reply Quote
hey lets kill off leah, cain and change tyrael to wisdom OMG sounds like a plan...wtf is this s***
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The ruined D3's story by showing the Black Soulstone trailer. Even edited, it revealed way too much.
Reply Quote
diablo 2 story was predicatble but nonetheless good. Prime evils were charismatic, not like in this game where every bad guy talks too much, classic hollywood bad guy who talks way too much and likes to tell what he is going to do. !@#$ that s***! I want my scary bosses not this wow crap
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Hexxus
I wouldn't say D2's story was original, but yes I agree the plot and characters were much better. I think when Bill Roper and friends left, there was no one left to really stand up to Metzen and the Blizzard Irvine writers and just say "no, this is stupid".

Metzen is one of the worst writing hacks I've ever had the displeasure of reading. My dog's poops have better character development.
Reply Quote
This is kind of like when you see a movie as a kid and you remember it being absolutely epic, and then you watch it as an adult and realize its not that great. D2's story wasn't any better than D3's, but you played it a decade ago and the nostalgia is giving it bonus points. My biggest issue with D3 is having to sit through cut-scenes full of insipid dialogue, but i don't think that's any worse than having to sit in town clicking on npcs and listening to them talk for ten minutes to get any of the story like you do in D2.
Reply Quote
To OP : no
Reply Quote
D2 is still epic. The story isn't unpredictable and wholly original but the way it's presented is so badass it's amazing. D3 was meh.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/15/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Hexxus

I don't thik Metzen has a part in this story since I have not heard his horrific voice acting.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 03:18 AMPosted by Kabloosh

I don't thik Metzen has a part in this story since I have not heard his horrific voice acting.

Metzen always has a part to play in the development of Blizzard storylines; he's the vice president of creative development for the company. He's been with Blizzard since it was just a tiny company, so basically there's only a handful of people who could theoretically override his opinion on something. That person used to be Bill Roper, the Blizzard North producer/director who was the glue of every Blizzard project from Warcraft 2 up to vanilla WoW.

I don't know what has happened to Blizzard over the past few years. They used to make simple yet charismatic stories and characters that were worthy of your emotional investment. Now their villains are very scooby doo-esque and their plot lines feel very contrived and unfaithful to the existing lore of their franchises.
Reply Quote
/signed hollywood crap story
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]