Diablo® III

Diablo 2 Story blows this out of the water

1 - It was my understand that Metzen has been involved with storytelling in those games since Warcraft I. I'm absolutely sure he wrote Starcraft whcih was legendarily awesome. There has been a change in direction since then though that is pretty clear, activision?

2 - You can throw crap at Metzen all you want(I don't like much of what was done in wow to tell the truth) but you can't say this is not awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZpwb4yZR4s
Edited by Auron#1900 on 5/17/2012 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay I agree with you guys, Diablo 2's story wasn't exactly unpredictable and not that complex. But it is still far superior to D3 story.

05/17/2012 06:30 AMPosted by Auron
1 - It was my understand that Metzen has been involved with storytelling in those games since Warcraft I. I'm absolutely sure he wrote Starcraft whcih was legendarily awesome. There has been a change in direction since then though that is pretty clear, activision?

Agree, I've noticed a change in direction beginning with WoW. The storytelling and art has changed for the worse very, very noticeably.
Edited by Nathonas#1687 on 5/17/2012 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Go check IMDB

Diablo 2 writers

Writing credits
Stieg Hedlund (story and dialogue) &
Matthew Householder (story and dialogue) (as Matt Householder) &
Phil Shenk (story and dialogue) &
Kurt Beaver (story and dialogue) &
Bob Vieira (story and dialogue)

Harley D. Huggins II

Diablo 3 writers

Writing credits

Leonard Boyarsky
Flint Dille co-written by
Chris Metzen story
Jay Wilson

They had 5 people working on the story for d2 and only Metzen for D3. Now I like what Metzen did for SC1 but SC2 was very campy and D3 was not terrible, but could of been done so much better. I can think of at least 3 things I would change to the story.

Maybe next time crowd source the story as I see great ideas in the forums here.
Reply Quote
Metzen is sort of the George Lucas of the Blizzard company. He can make some good stuff if there's people there to challenge him. Lucas with the first Star Wars trilogy and Metzen with the earilier Blizzard games. However, now that they're in roles that give them lots more power, they are surrounded by a bunch of yes-men.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I don't even remember Diablo II's story outside of the cinematics.

But yes, the cinematic told a better story than Diablo III's. The stuff with Marius was just gold. Really set the tone for every act very well.
Reply Quote
Metzen is sort of the George Lucas of the Blizzard company. He can make some good stuff if there's people there to challenge him. Lucas with the first Star Wars trilogy and Metzen with the earlier Blizzard games. However, now that they're in roles that give them lots more power, they are surrounded by a bunch of yes-men.

Gary Kurtz is credited as the one who kept Lucas in check; however, he was an executive producer.

The most baffling flaw with the George Lucas analogy is that Metzen is merely the vice-president of the creative department; that means he has an actual superior within his own department (i.e. the president) and he's no longer a game designer. So if any of his counterparts from other departments (art, game design, cinematics, etc.) or even the executive producers wanted to veto his ideas, they could easily do so. If anything, Metzen's technically the yes-man, not the other way around.

People are giving Bill Roper (responsible for the Hellgate: London fiasco) and James Phinney (who hasn't done anything noteworthy ever since) way too much credit when bashing newer Blizzard titles.

Personally, D2's plot is the main reason why I never bothered finishing the game: a tale narrated by some random senile hobo that we never get to meet? What the hell is that crap? Why does the cutscenes had to focus on this pathetic whiner? Why couldn't they focus on our hero's awesome feats instead?
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 5/23/2012 12:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 was WAY better in all aspects than this crap!Come on people Diablo with f*ckin !@#$?Tyrael turned to wisdom just to fight the corrupted angel in an expansion?So f*ckin predictable..Diablo 3 REALLY has the easiest boss fights from the franchise...!And of course D3 is a f*ckin bad copy of D2 because;you have the same ACTS FFS!!!The best moment was in Caldeum when i had to go to the SEWERS!HAHAHAHAAH!Or the moment when i had to crush the demon warmachines!Just remember...TOTAL BULLSH*T!
Reply Quote
I liked the D2 end, and the act 2 cinematic. It wasn't the best story ever, but it was decent enough.

SC2 was just awful. It was every one-liner and hollywood cliche imaginable. Looking back at the SC1 storyline (I played it when I was 12), it wasn't as good as I remember but it was leagues ahead of SC2.

D3..I really expected them to do more with Belial. He's more like the Rookie of Lies. I think they could've had a lot of value splitting Act 3 into 3/4 (and maybe doing some more stuff with Belial). That way, the "twist" is in Act 5, people would think 4 is the close and maybe Diablo breaks out of the Soulstone after Azmodan. On the twist, make Adela betray everyone when she sucks up the soul instead of having the lame line "They're no doubt celebrating".
Reply Quote
I really prefer Diablo 3 over Diablo 1 and 2 any day of the week. Diablo 1 used to be my favorite but when Diablo 2 came out I didn't care one bit for Diablo, but when Diablo 3 came out and I beat it. I now much prefer diablo 3 and don't like 1 and 2 any more
Reply Quote
I think the story is fine. People that have been following the game might have found it predictable, but that's because we've sat around discussing every possible narrative for years.

The story is fine. The narrative...not so much. Honestly, if they changed some of the dialogue, I wouldn't have any problem with it. Make the Evils shut up, for heaven's sake...
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Fraxinus
The ruined D3's story by showing the Black Soulstone trailer. Even edited, it revealed way too much.

Yeah, when I realized that was basically the act 3 main cinematic I was like "WELP I know where this story is going."

05/16/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Rawr
diablo 2 story was predicatble but nonetheless good. Prime evils were charismatic, not like in this game where every bad guy talks too much, classic hollywood bad guy who talks way too much and likes to tell what he is going to do. !@#$ that s***! I want my scary bosses not this wow crap

They do talk WAY too much in this. They seemed so much more devious and frightening because they weren't constantly taunting you like the !@#$ing school bully. Mephisto never spoke outside of the cinematics (where it's appropriate) and a single taunting line upon engaging him "MY BROTHER'S HAVE ESCAPED YOU". He had a wonderfully creepy voice that set the tone of that fight. Same with the Diablo fight. I don't think he ever said anything except "NOT EVEN DEATH CAN SAVE YOU FROM ME".

I think the story is fine. People that have been following the game might have found it predictable, but that's because we've sat around discussing every possible narrative for years.

The story is fine. The narrative...not so much. Honestly, if they changed some of the dialogue, I wouldn't have any problem with it. Make the Evils shut up, for heaven's sake...

It was predictable because it was piss obvious. What else would the fallen star have been? Why else would Adria have behaved the way she did? "MY FATHER WAS A GREAT WARRIOR WHO DIED WHEN TRISTRAM FELL TO THE DEMONS." Gee, I wonder who that was pointing to? All her mysterious powers? Unthinkable what she might have been. Emperor Hakan? I called that the second time we saw his !@#, and I was suspicious after the first time.
Edited by krameriffic#1314 on 5/26/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong!

People are blaming the wrong things. It was not predictability of the storyline that was the problem.

It was the execution. Such as when certain plot lines are introduced, when certain plot lines end, how dialogue was written, how dialogue was delivered and so on and so on.

A storyline can be predictable and still be enjoyable, it does not need to be unpredictable.

I cringe every time Azmodan rears his fat head at every corner and talks to me. I cringe every time Diablo and his/her heavily synthesised voice talks to me. Nearly every line delivered was poor both in writing and in voice acting.

Some plot lines come and go too quickly. Zoltun Kulle being a prime example. I didn't even realise I was grabbing pieces of a dead guy until I picked up his last piece and when I put him together, he became a boss. What.
Reply Quote
In conclusion;Diablo 3 should not be called Diablo.Period.
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Asdrubael
In conclusion;Diablo 3 should not be called Diablo.Period.

This.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080258672
Reply Quote
This is like complaining that that the star wars prequels ruined the original three, when in reality all 6 movies were pretty crappy.
Edited by Deadtomato#1466 on 7/12/2012 8:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The story had potential but it felt like the quality was pulled directly from 2002. Like 5 min of video and chat text to explain everything. I felt almost as immersed as I did when I played through WoW quests. I would also love to know where Jay is getting his feedback about the story being amazing. I call bull on that as anyone can go on metacritic and see that nearly every negative feedback has a problem with the story. Combat(Interesting and well designed), Story(Lame, 2002 quality).
Reply Quote
Why is it that I can buy a game like FFXIII with probably an hour or more of cutting-edge cinematics, beautifully written scores and awesome voice acting for the same price as what.. four 1 to 3 minute cut-scenes? And this platform should be able to handle a heck of a lot more graphic detail?

This is a dark, gothic horror genre game. Not Scooby Doo. Ok, to give a little credit, not Spider Man and His Amazing Friends. There. A notch up.
Edited by Melancholy#1609 on 7/13/2012 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]