Diablo® III

Diablo 2 Story blows this out of the water

Story was allright compared to Wings of Liberty. I just thought it was poorly executed... and rushed. You have to understand that Chris Metzen's influence and favors a paticular theme. Hense why he admits the whole "One trick pony." If you're expecting anything from him, then prepare to see:

Villians who want to destroy the universe for !@#$s and giggles

- Drunken and sloppy Main characters (Jim Raynor)

- Robots

- inspiration from other works like Starship troopers, batman, and transformers.

- Something to do with Heavy metal.

- hot women

- Cowboy stuff

- Cute girls (That sometimes you want to beat with a corroded lead pipe. I'm talking about Dr. Hanson (sc) and Leah (the brat from D3) ).

- Beer.

Its typical, but hey, sometimes its fun. I can't blame the guy really. I too like some aspects of it. Its just that sometimes he, god willing, has to take risk to try something new.
Reply Quote
Nah, Diablo 2's story isn't that original or unpredictable. It was pretty obvious to me the moment I beat Act 4 and watched Diablo die that Baal was still unaccounted for, so I expected to see him in the end and did.

Where Diablo 2 shines over Diablo 3 is not the overall story, but the execution and character portrayals. Diablo 3 is over-written. Way too much cheesy talking that wrecked the mystery, awe, creepiness and eerieness of the Lords of Hell. Diablo 2 had a less is more approach. I don't know if this was intentional -- maybe Blizzard's writers back then wanted to write lengthy crap dialogue but just couldn't squeeze it all onto the CD-ROM technology of the year 2000. But the very brief pithy comments from the player characters ("the sanctity of this place has been fouled") and the enemies ("not even death can save you from me") made for a nice touch that didn't feel over-done. Now we have to put up with Disney-esque villains that utter 1001 variations of "You'll never defeat me now, mwahaha!"

Anyway, with possibly two expansions in the works, I really hope Blizz takes this criticism to heart. It's not too late to redeem the Diablo franchise by making the villains more terrifying and cutting out cliche and cheese.

Also, for all the Metzen bashing going on, I'd like to just add that Metzen isn't completely terrible. I really enjoyed some of his older stuff. I think Of Blood and Honor was a good book. I do really dislike SC2's story though, even worse than D3's in my view.
Reply Quote
Wow, I've never seen this thread anywhere before.
Reply Quote
D2's story is pretty bad actually. It's just incredibly well told.
D3's storyline is good. Only the different elements just don't add up and the way it's told is really bad.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 04:52 AMPosted by Hexxus

I don't thik Metzen has a part in this story since I have not heard his horrific voice acting.

Metzen always has a part to play in the development of Blizzard storylines; he's the vice president of creative development for the company. He's been with Blizzard since it was just a tiny company, so basically there's only a handful of people who could theoretically override his opinion on something. That person used to be Bill Roper, the Blizzard North producer/director who was the glue of every Blizzard project from Warcraft 2 up to vanilla WoW.

I don't know what has happened to Blizzard over the past few years. They used to make simple yet charismatic stories and characters that were worthy of your emotional investment. Now their villains are very scooby doo-esque and their plot lines feel very contrived and unfaithful to the existing lore of their franchises.
\

I literally can not stop laughing at this post. Hexxus must be a family member of Bill Roper or something. Have people honestly already forgotten about the biggest failure of a game ever made in Hellgate: London?
Reply Quote

Metzen always has a part to play in the development of Blizzard storylines; he's the vice president of creative development for the company. He's been with Blizzard since it was just a tiny company, so basically there's only a handful of people who could theoretically override his opinion on something. That person used to be Bill Roper, the Blizzard North producer/director who was the glue of every Blizzard project from Warcraft 2 up to vanilla WoW.

I don't know what has happened to Blizzard over the past few years. They used to make simple yet charismatic stories and characters that were worthy of your emotional investment. Now their villains are very scooby doo-esque and their plot lines feel very contrived and unfaithful to the existing lore of their franchises.
\

I literally can not stop laughing at this post. Hexxus must be a family member of Bill Roper or something. Have people honestly already forgotten about the biggest failure of a game ever made in Hellgate: London?

That is due to rushing the game rather testing it, obviously. But what does that game have to do with Bill Roper in general?

Also

Keep in mind that the original staff no longers work in Blizzard / Blizzard North. Now you have a superficial cooperate company that makes overhyped games. I was optimistic with Diablo III, but it was after a week of waiting that I realize how poorly recieved it was. Forget the Metacritic, are so biased with fanbois that they give autmatic game of the year scores to such a superficial game. Hell, Sacred looks like a better diablo than this one.
Reply Quote
Conceptually the Diablo 3 story is good but its execution was so bad that ultimately for me it made the story experience much worse than in Diablo 2.

I still don't think it is as bad as Wings of Liberties plot.
Reply Quote
All I want them to do is invest a bit of money in some new writers, who can make it less cheesy, less hollywood-y, and more exciting.
Reply Quote
I understand the boat when they say Diablo 1/2 didn't really have a great story. At its essence, it was just "go there, kill that." Which is okay because the game was fun and sometimes, less it more. And then you have Diablo 3:

Maghda: My master wants the sword pieces
Maghda: I stole all your sword pieces when you weren't looking
Maghda: I kidnapped Deckard Cain so he can repair the sword
Maghda: Oops, I just killed Cain before he could say yes or no
Maghda: I'll just leave the sword pieces on the floor while I swallow the Stranger into a vortex
Maghda: Now to torture the Stranger with some channeled lasers

So at first she wanted the sword (enough that she wanted it repaired) but just leaves it on the ground a meter away from her feet. I guess if she has her prize in the Stranger, the sword doesn't really matter anymore, which is okay...except with her superior teleportation powers, why didn't she just kidnap Tyrael whenever, wherever?

Yep
Reply Quote
Why compare diablo 3 to diablo 2? Diablo 3 comes out in 2012, it is expected to adhere to modern standards , not 10 years old ones, and they have resources to do it properly. So yes it should have been not only at least as good but much much better, you should compare it to other modern games or Blizzard games where story and dialogue was indeed good which was Warcraft 3 and TFT expansion, and thats a fact with no nostalgia glasses.
Edited by Frozenkex#1835 on 8/29/2013 8:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I loved the Diablo 2 story because it was simple and to the point, executed well, and had a twist at the end that made it intriguing. I didn't like the Diablo 3 story at first, but I thought about it one day and tried to come up with reasons why I didn't like it. For me I couldn't find a problem with the core story, and actually it is a decent and simplistic plot like the Diablo 2 story. However, the main problems I had with the story was the dialog and writing, for example Azmodan and Diablo constantly badgering you that you will fail, and forced fed questing from Maghda. The other thing I had a problem with was the character implementation, such as introducing new lords of hell (Belial-Lord of Predictability, and Zap "Azmodan" Brannigan) because they just didn't live up to my expectations of evil malevolent beings plotting to take the world of sanctuary. They were more like cartoon characters that reminded me of Dr. Claw saying, "I will get you next time! Gadget."
Edited by Mertz#1128 on 8/30/2013 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
d2 presentation was better, it felt darker, more sinister. In terms of cause and effect there weren't any oh snap moments, but I got the feeling that I was a part of something evil.
Reply Quote
I was highly impressed with the d3 story. Finding out the meteor was a being, not generic omen, was a pretty damn cool twist.

However.

Diablo seemed painfully shoehorned in. My immediate impression was "A professional writer was not responsible for this part."

the twist came out of !@#$ing nowhere and interrupted the contour of the story violently, which until that point had been above my expectations. Tbh I would have been less offended if the game were called "Azmodan", with Diablo as a non-canon bonus boss.

In retrospect, my only other complaint were some of tyrael's voiceovers, which were overly grandiose and generic in a way that, for some reason, reminded me of the writing work from WoW. Generally speaking, Diablo games don't end on bright, sunshiney high notes with trumpets blaring, they're bleak and dark from stem to stern.

Actually, let me revise: I believe the story would have been improved by simply removing the Akara/Leah subplot altogether and filling that void with something better. Hell, "Leah" doesn't even sound like the name of the Diablo character, does it? And, as a Diablo 1 veteran, I still don't give a damn if Akara remained in the mire of the original game or not.

Even if the entire first iteration of diablo 3 was scrapped, the story probably wasn't. There's no reason it, at least, should not have been strong all around.
Edited by Daimoth#1641 on 9/12/2013 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 10:36 PMPosted by LanCeR
The story in D2 is original, complex, and unpredictable. The story in D3 is a cliche hollywood movie where the twists are seen from a mile away, the dalogue is laughable, and key events make absolutely no logical sense.

In my opinion, Diablo 3's story is more comparable to cartoons intended for young children instead of even a cliche hollywood movie. The way the villains chitchat with you nonstop with irritatingly awful dialogue is just laughable. Everything that happened with Belial was very predictable.
Edited by Halothus#1939 on 9/12/2013 8:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I dunno, I thought D2's story was pretty crappy but was told well. D3's story was pretty good but was horribly told.
Reply Quote
Nostalgia. Old times are always better than actuality.

Also, 13 years ago you would probably be a kid and more impressionable.
Reply Quote
D2 wasn't anything grandeur, it was a story about chasing down Diablo and being shown just what happened before you showed up. Really, it built up anticipation of when you're going to finally catch him and what it will be like. I remember thinking in Act II "Oh **** I might have to fight both Baal and Diablo!".

At the time it was a good story, and that's how you should look at pieces of work like that. With any product it's about first time experience: you can't read a book after the first time and experience exactly the same feelings as before. If I played D2 again it wouldn't be as great as the first time. And I'd find all the flaws like everyone else is finding in D3. Did I enjoy D3 when I first played through it? Yeah I sure did! If there was an achievement for 100% map exploration, I got it. I was into the game from start to finish - granted, I did find a flaw with the ending - like who cares if Tyreal is mortal and the aspect of Wisdom in Heaven? I just saw the soulstone with all of the prime evils fall into nowhere...THAT'S KINDA OF A BIG DEAL!!!!! **** Tyreal and his graduation back into angel academy. I wondered to myself "Adria is gonna catch that soulstone and be the next vessel". Nope...

If anything the ending of D3 sucked big ****, which sets a bad taste for everything before and after it. I've read stories with mediocre endings and some that I wasn't satisfied with, but they fulfilled their purpose of being an ending - tie everything together. D3 left a lot of stuff alone, in a very bad way. I saw the RoS trailer and even then....how can I be excited for this? Another crappy story you want $50 for? Sorry, you buned me on a crappy ending for $60.

I mean with D2, I was like excited about the ending. "What will Baal do?!" So when LoD came out it was like the grand finale of D2's story. D3 feels to me like "Well, we got a lot to fix...".
Reply Quote
Idk I really liked the story of d2 Marius was conflicted by this intriguing and mysterious follower, who actually was the hero from d1 if anyone was paying attention. Going through act 1, I really liked tristram in d2 in d3 it feels like an after thought. Going through the monastery through the cloisters to the catacombs felt just like the level progression from d1. All the way to andarial, who wasn't that epic to fight but niethrr is the butcher.
Act 2 got better, out gholein needs to make s comeback and going to the claw viper temple, the maggots lair and finding the horadric cube beats magdha and the fail prince king Belial, although the summoner was interesting. He doesn't beat the summoner from d2 and the arcane sanct. Plus tal rashas tomb was nice.
Act 3 was were it fell short, you only really did the council and the durance of hate.
Act 4 is where it made up, the chaos sanctuary was great I liked how you had to pull seals and beat mini bosses, destroying portals in d3 is anti climatic.

Of course act 5 was great too well see ros act 5 before we judge.

I think a lot of it has to do with the art direction of d3 being comical (no pun intended) and wowish it just kills the story, imagine a horror movie with lighting and setting of a comedy and you'll have s totally different movie. In my total opinion d3 needs a complete reboot with true horror writers / artist this wow clone called d3 is a pure fail as a successor to d2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]