Diablo® III

Vitality Hunter

Yes you did indeed hear that right. You thought barbarians were tanks? Well you thought wrong... Under some thought and after magically equipping a one handed mace this idea came to me.. With wondrous thoughts I thought to myself.... Demonhunter.. tanking?

I then proceeded to put on all the vitality/dex/ Little bit of a strength gear I could find.. Carefully looked at my skills/passive skills

And created this

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UZXVhg!gXV!YaZbZY
(Elective mode needed)

Personally like to to Open with knives, use defensive cds when needed (Shadow power, smoke screen, shadow power when needed)

All those abilities DO NOT need a ranged weapon. So feel free to use whatever one handed weapon gives you the best stats..

I'd also like to add I created this at level 52 (Hell difficulty)

And yes, your mind is full of ....

Leave the bashing down below Elitists.
Reply Quote
He's not kidding, he does more damage than my monk.

:|
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've been doing vita-based DH since half way through nightmare. It's a lot of fun.

I use this set up (it's for solo play): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXlV!ecb!YabZZb

In "standard" battles, I just bum rush the monsters and drop down 7 or so caltrops, call down rain of vengeance, dart out of there and spray the battlefield with bolt lightning.
Reply Quote
Help me understand your M.O. while using this.
I find it intriguing but would like to confirm how it works.

Obviously VIT and DEX is a given.
Not sure how STR scales with your surivability.

Certainly with Numbing Traps/Gloom you have damage mitigation, albeit a small one.

With Shadow Power being used a max of 2x (saving last bit of Discipline for emergency SS) for a duration of 6 seconds.

Staggering FoK passive for another 3 seconds for lesser mitigation for a total of 9s.

Additionally, I would assume you're shielding to add blocking tables to the equation.
Chain stunning with Primary and Secondary are obvious, but can't imagine how reliable it is, especially with CC decay in Hell+.

After Avoidance > DR from Skill/Passive > Block > Armor (crap values) > Damage

You have no passive armor modifiers, so after mitigation and avoidance checks, you're still going to be hit like a train.

What am I missing?
Edited by San#1821 on 5/20/2012 3:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, I've been doing vita-based DH since half way through nightmare. It's a lot of fun.

I use this set up (it's for solo play): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRYXlV!ecb!YabZZb

In "standard" battles, I just bum rush the monsters and drop down 7 or so caltrops, call down rain of vengeance, dart out of there and spray the battlefield with bolt lightning.

And what I think everyone doesn't understand as this is NOT DH. This is a 1 hander and a shield. TANKING .. AKA... Sword and Board.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 03:18 AMPosted by San

It's just a random stat in his gear.

05/20/2012 03:18 AMPosted by San
You have no passive armor modifiers, so after mitigation and avoidance checks, you're still going to be hit like a train.

Well it's for Co-op, so he has a monk with him for some slight over-time healing. Not sure how, but he takes less damage than I do and he's right there with me in melee...
Edited by Valraine#1746 on 5/20/2012 3:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 03:47 AMPosted by Ohgodohplzno
Well it's for Co-op, so he has a monk with him for some slight over-time healing.

I did forget to mention I do have a Mantra wench.
Reply Quote
Since you've stated you're in Hell, have you stonewalled in any Acts?
Do you find your health fluctuating a lot or is it quite steady?
Additionally, what's your DEX?

I'm curious to see how often you dodge in combat.

You both seem to get it work; it is nice having a monk buddy around for support and Mantra shielding, plus on-demand healing spells.
Reply Quote

1 STR = 1 Armor
Armor reduces damage from everything, including magic.
Reply Quote
I use a similar build, just swap out FoK for Razor Disk Chakram. Good to know I'm not the only one doing this! And yes, in act 4 hell.
Reply Quote
Hrishi

I use a similar build, just swap out FoK for Razor Disk Chakram. Good to know I'm not the only one doing this! And yes, in act 4 hell.

Interesting the chakram never clued in with me, will try now.
Edited by Miscimus#1605 on 5/20/2012 4:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lots of stuff wrong with the build, even though in theory tank DH is sound. You have Numbling Traps but no Caltrops or Spike Trap, only FoK which has a 10secs cd, you have Grenadier but you're not using Cluster since using a 1h melee weap(you could be using a 1h xbow btw) and your only Hatred spender is a single target, meaning you probably have 0 use for all that hatred you get from it so why even get it, you rely on stuns which are reduced in Inferno so that won't work that well then and you have 2 similar defensive abilities that compete for the same ressource. When do you need to use Shadow Power over Smoke Screen? Sure you get lifesteal but you still take 35% of the dmg so it's probably going to be neutral in terms of health gains, so why have 2 slots for the same thing? Why not say Sentry with Aid Station?

The idea is good, the execution not so much.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 04:23 AMPosted by San

Only against what seemed to be vampiric, electric, desecration and the creature had knockback as a standard. Those mobs took half my life in one NORMAL melee hit, so we both had to kite to beat them.

As a monk, I just used deadly reach to attack from range and get spirit and he went back to ranged, but other than that... he's the last of us to die most of the time if we do die.
Reply Quote
Do you find your health fluctuating a lot or is it quite steady?
Additionally, what's your DEX?

I'm curious to see how often you dodge in combat.

You both seem to get it work; it is nice having a monk buddy around for support and Mantra shielding, plus on-demand healing spells.

Strength 243
Dexterity 804
Intelligence 167
Vitality 745
Armor 2290
(Not that great stat wise, but its working)
Reply Quote
Hrishi

Interesting the chakram never clued in with me, will try now.

I was rushing to finish hell but I also thought about using Shuriken Cloud, didn't want to switch my build before I finished hell but I was going to do it later today. You should try that too!
Reply Quote
Ah, yes perhaps. This idea just struck me so I'm just currently testing it out of .. just the fact to test it. Never actually did put much thought into it but the ideas that everyone has said are making it quite fun to play.. I will try this sentry with aid station now, see how it works.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]