Diablo® III

Lost Quest/Map Exploration Progress

17 Human Priest
I seem to lose my progress whenever I log back into the game....

For example, I have this quest to find a crown, I'm kinda early on still. I was at the Cemetery of the Forsaken, and there were three crypts to explore. I went down into one, and I managed to find the passage to the next level. My character seemed to "sense" the crown nearby or something.

Anyways, I thought it was awesome I had picked the right crypt by chance, but I wanted to explore the other two. So I back tracked, and looked through the other two. By the time I was finished, it was late and I was tired, so I logged out of Diablo without actually making it down to the second level of the crypt.

When I logged back in just a little while ago...the crypts were all in different places and my map was completely unexplored! It was as if I hadn't been there before at all. Monsters everywhere and everything... Three new unexplored crypts. I seem to have lost all the progress I made before logged off last night.

I did a little exploring then logged off for a sec to see if it was just a fluke, but when I got back everything was unexplored...again. Not sure what is going wrong here. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Edited by Leiyan#1587 on 5/20/2012 11:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The described behavior is part of the standard Diablo game mechanics throughout the whole series. It is not a bug.

Dungeons and Areas are regenerated and repopulated with mobs each time you come back into the game to increase replayability and to allow you to grind for more XP and more loot before you move on to more dangerous areas. In Diablo 3 you can also get different mini-quests and events for most areas if you play them more than once.

You do not lose any of your progress. Your quest state, character, gold, stash, artisans, etc. are always saved.
Edited by Baumvieh#2136 on 5/20/2012 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
17 Human Priest
Is there any way to turn this "feature" off? I'd rather not have to wander into zones I had been to before that the game thinks I haven't. As it is, I logged out originally 30 seconds from being able to move on... When I got back into the game today, it took me better part of an hour to find the next level down again.

Also, I would say this completely counts as lost progress since I would have been an hour further into the game if I hadn't lost my entire map.
Edited by Leiyan#1587 on 5/20/2012 11:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No you can not turn that off. It is an important part of the game mechanics.

Everytime you reach a checkpoint the game will spawn you at that checkpoint when you quit and resume.

After some time you'll get a feeling for how long it takes to get from one checkpoint to the next so each time you can choose to commit yourself to continue playing until the next one or to leave it there for the day.

Even if you have to clear some area/dungeon again because of leaving before reaching a checkpoint you're still making more progress because you get more XP and more loot and there's a chance you'll find additional mini-quests and events that hadn't been there on your previous run.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]