Diablo® III

WAIT: Are All The D2 Heroes DEAD?

87 Undead Warlock
At the end of D2 Tyrael throws his sword into the world stone. BUT before he does he gives the PCs a town portal they can take back to Horrorgath before we see the end cinematic.

That all makes sense.

HOWEVER....

In D3 Tyrael explains that the reason he falls from Heaven 20 years after for his "transgressions" and not immediately is because it took TWENTY YEARS for his body to REFORM. The blast was so powerful, it kersploded him along with most of the people on the mountain (who also went insane later if I'm not mistaken).

Thus....it is possible they did not survive. I dont recall if it was stated somewhere they actually didn't.
Reply Quote
The barbarian in Diablo 3 is the same barbarian in Diablo 2. they say something like that on the DVD you get with the CE
Reply Quote
The Barbarian in Diablo 3 is not the same Barbarian from Diablo II. He was going to be originally, but they couldn't figure out a way to make it work when 9 characters hadn't killed Diablo before and one character had in dialogue.

If I recall correctly, it's confirmed that the Sorceress survived for a time and actually instructed our female Wizards. However, she was later killed by an assassin. Additionally, the Necromancer was mentioned.

I guess what I'd like to know is if they are alive, why didn't our original heroes make any attempt to stop Belial or Azmodan, or why Deckard Cain didn't pay them a visit.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
They were all killed when Mt. Arreat exploded.
Reply Quote
Well, as for necromancers, they're mostly past 70 years old and probably suffer from alzheimer and forgot most of their spells.
Barbarians are said to have mostly perished in the destruction of Mt. Arreat... And, umm... Yeah. Speculation.
Reply Quote
The Barbarian in Diablo 3 is not the same Barbarian from Diablo II. He was going to be originally, but they couldn't figure out a way to make it work when 9 characters hadn't killed Diablo before and one character had in dialogue.

If I recall correctly, it's confirmed that the Sorceress survived for a time and actually instructed our female Wizards. However, she was later killed by an assassin. Additionally, the Necromancer was mentioned.

I guess what I'd like to know is if they are alive, why didn't our original heroes make any attempt to stop Belial or Azmodan, or why Deckard Cain didn't pay them a visit.

Do you have a source for this?

Because my understanding is that the D3 barbarian IS the d2 barbarian. The other characters are simply unmentioned.

Just because it isn't explicitly called out in the storyline doesn't mean it isn't implied - the warrior from D1 becoming diablo in D2 was never called out, nor was blood raven as being the rogue from act1, I believe.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
05/21/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Fraxinus
They were all killed when Mt. Arreat exploded.

That's what I keep saying

Because my understanding is that the D3 barbarian IS the d2 barbarian. The other characters are simply unmentioned.

I have read this many times as well. I do not know original source, but I think I recall blue post or an article somewhere.

05/21/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Merk
Just because it isn't explicitly called out in the storyline doesn't mean it isn't implied - the warrior from D1 becoming diablo in D2 was never called out, nor was blood raven as being the rogue from act1, I believe.

And possible implication doesnt make it "true".
Edited by Mijuu#1695 on 5/21/2012 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
In Act II, you meet the Necromancer's apprentice. So at least the Necromancer survived, long enough to teach him.
Reply Quote
Would be lovely if we could get some kind of official response to this question. It seems to be asked constantly. There is a question over on Stack Exchange, and plenty of gripes there that the sources are not definitive. http://gaming.stackexchange.com/a/68200/21619

The wiki states that "The game takes place in Sanctuary, the dark fantasy world of the Diablo series. Sanctuary was saved twenty years prior by unnamed heroes in Diablo II. Having survived that onslaught, Tyrael rewarded the heroes by sending them to safety. It is up to a new generation of heroes to face the forces of evil threatening the world."

However it is unclear where that whole paragraph came from, or if someone just made it up.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Reeven
In Act II, you meet the Necromancer's apprentice. So at least the Necromancer survived, long enough to teach him.
Who is this apprentice? I don't remember meeting him.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If you pay close attention to the fleeting conversations between the Barbarian and Kulle while wandering through Kulle's Archive zones, Kulle asks the Barbarian if he's ever seen anything like his archives, and the Barbarian replies with the Worldstone Keep in Mt. Arreat... Considering entry into the keep required either the Relic or defeating the Ancients, I doubt he just happened to be strolling through, regardless of his people being the guardians.

From that and the visible age of our Barbarian combined with some tidbits of dialogue between him and the Followers which clearly defines him as being an aged Barbarian. And why did they choose an older looking character model instead of a younger one as they did with Diablo 2?

It may have been the original intent to link D3's barb with D2's, hence why bits and pieces of the game lead to this conclusion, but it's circumstantial at this point. If that was their intention, they pulled out any definitive information.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 01:27 PMPosted by Merk

Because my understanding is that the D3 barbarian IS the d2 barbarian.

Leonard Boyarsky, the lead developer, once said the D2 and D3 male barbarian were the same person.
Proof: http://pc.ign.com/articles/885/885169p1.html

Jay Wilson, the project lead, also confirms this.
Proof: http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2662371

There's more of the same, but I think those two suffice. Now I've also heard that this decision was reversed as the years drove on, but I've never seen the proof with my own eyes. Not saying these people are lying, but just I've never found it. Maybe it was during a BlizzCon session.

Now it does appear that the devs stopped mentioning that the D2 and D3 male Barbarians are the same after 2009. Lots of stuff changed through development. Also in the actual D3 game, you don't see the Barbarian and Cain "reminiscing about the old days." They'd have clearly known each other.
Reply Quote
The Barbarian in D3 is NOT the Barbarian from D2. That was the original intent, but they reverted that design later because it would have given the male Barb (and ONLY the male Barb) a unique story that none of the other classes would have. (Source: http://www.diablowiki.net/Barbarian) All that being said, the male Barb's dialogue could certainly be interpreted as he's doing this dance again because he wants a good fight. Cain would be the only person who could recognize the barb, and it might be his eyesight isn't what it used to be.

There is an event that can spawn in Act 2 that involves an NPC (Mehtan the Necromancer) who references his master throwing down against the demons. No information is given about that original Necro, but it does display that he either had an apprentice before dying at Mt. Arreat or survived Arreat and took an apprentice later. (Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5151717807)

Isendra (from the Wizard short story) is heavily implied to be the Sorceress from D2, and her fate is managed in that story. However, it's entirely possible that Isendra is merely another Zann Esu Sorceress.

So to answer the OP's direct question: none of the heroes from D2 are dead until Blizzard specifically says so. Since none of those heroes seem to have been involved in D3 in a direct manner, it is equally possible that they died after Mt. Arreat or afterwards. Regardless, there is very little reliable information about the fate of those characters, and virtually none within the context of the game itself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
05/21/2012 09:33 PMPosted by iwik
Who is this apprentice? I don't remember meeting him.

He's the quest giver for a random event that can appear in the desert zones before reaching Khasim Outpost / Alcarnus. (if I remember correctly)

You come across him and his three skeleton minions, and he asks you to help him fight off some restless ghosts that the Cultists disturbed. In dialogue, he mentions something to the effect of his master being one of the heroes who helped defeat Diablo 20 years ago.
Reply Quote
The Barbarian in D3 is NOT the Barbarian from D2. That was the original intent, but they reverted that design later because it would have given the male Barb (and ONLY the male Barb) a unique story that none of the other classes would have. (Source: http://www.diablowiki.net/Barbarian) All that being said, the male Barb's dialogue could certainly be interpreted as he's doing this dance again because he wants a good fight. Cain would be the only person who could recognize the barb, and it might be his eyesight isn't what it used to be.

There is an event that can spawn in Act 2 that involves an NPC (Mehtan the Necromancer) who references his master throwing down against the demons. No information is given about that original Necro, but it does display that he either had an apprentice before dying at Mt. Arreat or survived Arreat and took an apprentice later. (Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5151717807)

Isendra (from the Wizard short story) is heavily implied to be the Sorceress from D2, and her fate is managed in that story. However, it's entirely possible that Isendra is merely another Zann Esu Sorceress.

So to answer the OP's direct question: none of the heroes from D2 are dead until Blizzard specifically says so. Since none of those heroes seem to have been involved in D3 in a direct manner, it is equally possible that they died after Mt. Arreat or afterwards. Regardless, there is very little reliable information about the fate of those characters, and virtually none within the context of the game itself.

+1 this. He beat me to it, but those were all the exact same points I was gonna make. :P
Reply Quote
While the paladin's fate is not explicitly mentioned, the healer in Act 1 will mention that Zakarum has fallen. Although this doesn't necessarily mean the paladin is dead, his ending certainly isn't very happy.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

thats because all of this was later figured out before D3, just like the warrior later becoming Leoric's oldest son, when originally there was no connection in any dialogue that the warrior as your playing it was also leorics son... they Ret conned a lot of the lore for Diablo.. and there are still tons of plot holes
Reply Quote
They're still playing diablo 2
Reply Quote
Yes but they never retconned it for the Barb being dead. This can allow us all to assume the Barb was alive and just went off to do whatever after the events of D2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]