Diablo® III

Anyone Able to Solo Hell Act 4

With their monks without having die and insanely amount of times. I've 65% resist to all, and if I'm assuming right I've like 65%+ dodge after mantra and dualwield skill and around 6k dps. I also use the sw combo but I still die frequently to elites. Is there something I'm missing or is this just normal?
Reply Quote
Ok so they fixed quickening well I be damned.
Edited by Awakened#2156 on 5/22/2012 6:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your information isn't clear.

What level are you?

What hard number do you have for your resists? To have 65% you would need around 500 as a hard number, which personally, I haven't seen anyone with. Do you mean just 65 resist to all? If it's just 65 resist then that number is extremely low. The actual percent resist would be around 10% or less. The best best way to build this is pick 1 resist and try to stack that on all your armor, then spread it using One with All passive.

With 65% dodge, if that is accurate, you are using the passive plus your mantra to jack this, but the reality is there are many things you can't dodge, so trying to over-stack this at the expense of some other better options is probably hurting you.

I may be ignorant, but what is the sw combo?

Lastly, your damage number 6k, is low. Spend a little time checking the AH for better weapons. There are some great finds there.

I'm lvl 60 with 14500 dps, 368 resist (55%), and about 38% dodge. I melt hell mode difficulty with no deaths, whether there are people in my party or I am solo, it makes no difference.
Reply Quote

What hard number do you have for your resists? To have 65% you would need around 500 as a hard number, which personally, I haven't seen anyone with.

Yeah thats the problem I'm having I suppose with dodge. Some creatures just ignore dodge%. (I know the mallet lords do.) And yes, I've 65% resist to all without the resolve skill.

I'm assuming if I use resolve it would be 90% resist to all? Cause it doesn't seem like it, many creatures can still kill me in 1 or 2 hits so I'm thinking it scales with dificulty. So even at 100% resist to all in inferno that number would only be 50%.

Edit: I actually have over 500 as a hard number and it's not even close to being maxed out.
Edited by Awakened#2156 on 5/22/2012 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I solo'd hell act 4 @ lvl 59 with this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WhXYgj!XdY!ZabcaY
I also solo'd all of act 1 inferno with it.
Edited by Kyoubou#1603 on 5/22/2012 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hell Act 4 isn't much of a problem for me, so I guess I'll help. I use the same build I use for Inferno.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WTYhXg!dYc!ZcbaYY

TBH, at this point I use conviction aura and pump more damage, but that is the general build. You run in with serenity, use blind before serenity wears off, and SSS for tougher things. Run out and do it again until dead.

What you need:
A good weapon (2h diabo is generally best for damage and cost) - you want ~800 damage on the weapon
1k dex
1k vita
In total you want/need around 10k damage. Really everything else isn't as important. 30-40k health helps a lot also to prevent random charging mobs from killing you and for lasting boss fights.

With this you can plow through Hell easily, but inferno is still impossible for a monk until you get 500+ resistances (which is millions in gold in the current AH).
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WfgXTQ!ZYX!ZaYZbZ

This is my build. It's incredibly defensive, and it works really well for me. I'm not as offensive as other monks, but I'm essentially invulnerable until Inferno. I literally stand in one place during the entire Azmodan encounter. I don't even leave the void zone on Hell difficulty. Same thing with Diablo's fire; I just stand there, lol. I have a lot more up-time on bosses than most monks (or Barbs), because I don't need to transition out during survival phases at all.

Remember that you're immune to damage while Seven-Sided Strike is active, so you can use it like a second Serenity when you have to. When you're up against Frozen enemies, for example, you can 7SS just before the first ice explosion, then Serenity your way through the second. By the time the third comes around, 7SS could potentially be off cool-down.

That's how I survive Hell. Your mileage may vary.
Reply Quote
I seriously doubt you have 65% dodge. Dodge is calculated multiplicative so if your total dodge before mantra/passive is 30% and you gain 15% from each ability that's 30% * 15% * 15% or put easier .7 * .85 * .85 = .50575 so your chance to be hit by an attack is 50.5% so your chance to dodge is 49.5 I don't know what your stats are but I doubt you have 50% dodge from dexterity which is what it would take to get to 65% dodge with mantra and guardians path.

Also to have 65% resist to all against level 60 mobs(i have no idea what level the mobs in hell are) you would have to be rocking 550ish resist all i'm not saying you aren't there but that's impressive.

Whats your damage reduction from armor? What is your Max health? Both of these are important factors to figuring out how to help. What skills do you run?
Reply Quote
Yeah I already had plans to addin sevensided strike now that quickening is nerfed.
Reply Quote

Also to have 65% resist to all against level 60 mobs(i have no idea what level the mobs in hell are) you would have to be rocking 550ish resist all i'm not saying you aren't there but that's impressive.

Actually, I got 636 which shows as 67.97% resist all. I'm factoring in time of need. Without it I got 530.

My health is very low though like 15k, that's the sacrifice I decided to make to get my resist all so damn high.
Edited by Awakened#2156 on 5/22/2012 6:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I solo'd hell act 4 @ lvl 59 with this build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WhXYgj!XdY!ZabcaY
I also solo'd all of act 1 inferno with it.

That's almost exactly my build and I love it. The only 3 differences are Exploding Palm (right button), Dashing strike and Resolve over Serenity, Mystic Ally and Transcedence (Im still in NM, so i dont need that much health, but i know i will have to change latter.)

I see everyone here focusing on either too offensive or defensive but absolutely no one until now, use a build of causing status on enemies (Crippling Wave and Bliding Flash, and i also like the Palm whatever).

I will try to work this build up until inferno.
Reply Quote
you are already being hammered by diminishing returns on resist you can prob afford to lose some for vit in some places
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 06:38 AMPosted by Raion
you are already being hammered by diminishing returns on resist you can prob afford to lose some for vit in some places

I guess that was my flaw in my build. I stacked resist to much and didn't notice the diminishing %. At around 300 you get 50% but at 632 that is only a 17% increase.

Do diminishing returns also affect skills like resolve? Thinking of taking that out too if that's the case.
Edited by Awakened#2156 on 5/22/2012 7:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe damage reduction is also multiplicative so if you had 50% dmg reduction from armor 50% from resist all you get 30% for being melee and 25% from resolve i believe your total damage reduction would be 86.8%ish
Reply Quote

I guess that was my flaw in my build. I stacked resist to much and didn't notice the diminishing %. At around 300 you get 50% but at 632 that is only a 17% increase.

Do diminishing returns also affect skills like resolve? Thinking of taking that out too if that's the case.

Armor doesn't experience "diminishing returns". Diminishing returns implies that each point beyond some point gives you less value than the point before.

Take your example that 300 armor gives 50% reduction. Let's also assume you have 10k hp. This makes you twice as tanky as without armor, giving you an effective hp bonus of 100%. Your total effective HP (EHP) is 20k.

We can now calculate that each point of armor multiplies your HP by 1/3%.

So, at 632 armor, you get 632*1/3 ~= 211% EHP bonus.

This means with an HP of 10k you get 31k EHP, roughly 3 times tankier. This means that incoming damage must be reduced by 67% (the damage you take is 1/3 of the original hit).

As you can see, every point of armor beyond 300 is worth EXACTLY the same amount of armor below 300. They both give you exactly 0.33% of your HP pool per point of armor.
Edited by Explodinator#1913 on 5/22/2012 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I soloed diablo no problem in hell. 8k dps and 300 to all resistances.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Explodinator

Armor doesn't experience "diminishing returns". Diminishing returns implies that each point beyond some point gives you less value than the point before.

Take your example that 300 armor gives 50% reduction. Let's also assume you have 10k hp. This makes you twice as tanky as without armor, giving you an effective hp bonus of 100%. Your total effective HP (EHP) is 20k.

This means with an HP of 10k you get 31k EHP, roughly 3 times tankier. This means that incoming damage must be reduced by 67% (the damage you take is 1/3 of the original hit).

As you can see, every point of armor beyond 300 is worth EXACTLY the same amount of armor below 300. They both give you exactly 0.33% of your HP pool per point of armor.

Armor most definately does have diminshing returns the formula is armor / (armor + (50*mob level) so against a level 60 mob 3000 armor would give you 50% damage reduction 6000 armor would give you 66% damage reduction double the armor but only a 16% increase. if you had 9000 armor it would be 75% reduction which is a 11% difference. the problem you are having is you are assuming that each point of armor reduces damage at the same rate which it doesn't each point of armor you gain reduces it's value.
Reply Quote
Your HP is way too low, you need at least 30k when you get to Inferno and that's still barely enough. Without a ton of element resistance you will be chewed up in seconds, so it's a fine line between DPS and resistance.

Right now I don't have the gear needed to get anywhere on Act 2 Inferno until I find new gear or spend millions on the AH.
Reply Quote

Armor most definately does have diminshing returns the formula is armor / (armor + (50*mob level) so against a level 60 mob 3000 armor would give you 50% damage reduction 6000 armor would give you 66% damage reduction double the armor but only a 16% increase. if you had 9000 armor it would be 75% reduction which is a 11% difference. the problem you are having is you are assuming that each point of armor reduces damage at the same rate which it doesn't each point of armor you gain reduces it's value.

I see you completely ignored my post and the math inside it. The amount of EHP you gain from 0-50% reduction is the SAME as the amount of EHP you gain from 50-67%.
Reply Quote
Level 60 in inferno act 2 here, soloing hell is easy. I'm way overgeared for hell. Way too under geared for inferno act 2.

11k damage, 42k hp, 56% DR, (I have terribly !@#$ty resistances however).
Edited by nni#1250 on 5/22/2012 1:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]