Diablo® III

Diminishing Returns on Armor = Myth (graphs)

So sum it up. Best will be average out like

5000 armour
500 AR
5000 life

right?
Reply Quote
Diminishing Returns: The idea that an extra point in something (Armor) yields less return than the points before it. Ex. the 100 point in armor is less effective than the 99th point.

Didnt you just prove his point? Or did i miss something in my lack of sleep?
Reply Quote
I appreciate the work the OP has done. It's led a lot of people to consider a lot of things. This is now months later and the scenery has changed a bit and a lot more testing has been done. I'd like to chime in now from a less mathematical perspective and make some practical points because many people who have been involved in this thread have shown an interest in "what should I add in my gear next, which piece of gear should I choose?" - as a result of this thread.

To answer the people asking what direction should I take my gear I will present my current findings:

1) Ideally you should have a plan for your character as the gear will revolve around the plan
2) You need to know WHAT the maximum amount of stats possible are given that items do have budgets of 6-affixes, what stats can and cannot appear on what slots and what abilities legendaries provide that you cannot get on rares.
3) You can build your theoretical perfect model for your plan with complete information about the values possible.
4) You can seek to aquire items which match the design you plan - which move towards the goal of the perfect stats you want. Even if another item seems to be better because it produces bigger numbers in certain areas.. perhaps it does not does not match your goal.

Looking at the monster power levels we see monster health and damage going up several orders of magnitude. This is clearly to match the multiplicitive nature of the items.

What I have found is that in practical terms, you are best off with:

1) All resistance on all or most slots
2) Primary stat on all or most slots
3) Attack speed everywhere you can get it - without reservation
4) Crit chance everywhere you can get it - without reservation (if barb or wiz at least)
5) Average Damage
6) Crit damage is very important but more situational. It tends to lead to more spikey damage and spikey heals which aren't great for survivability which in turn leads to needing more defenses which leads to having less dps....ahem...
7) Life steal is nearly mandatory on belt or weapon or both
8) Some life per second is greatly helpful

Armor, if you decide you want more of it - is best taken on a slot where you already have your primary needs taken care of and you have some affixes left over.

As for vitality, you need just enough of it to survive spike damage but every bit of it beyond that is merely weakening you. If you want to stand in front of a pack of elites and take a bunch of hits before going down - then sure, maybe that should be your plan from the start to stack tons of vitality. If you want to demolish anything and everything you come across in a speedy fashion you need to be *tough*, you need to deal lots of damage and you need to convert that damage back into life.

Vitality is best added and exchanged with primary stats via chest/pants sockets. This is a great way to shift your vitality needs versus having too much of it nailed into your items. This allows your dps roof to always be as close to maximum possible while still being able to change it around for things like uber bosses.

The best way to be tough, assessing what I know of what is possible to get where and in what quantities is to stack all resist, primarily... regardless of inefficiencies due to having more than a 10:1 ratio -- because of item budgets, because of what you can get where and knowing all the maximum values and possibilities for every equipment slot. If you take +armor in a slot where you do not have 70-80 all resist, you took a hit because you are getting base armor from items and you would have to be really out-of-whack for +400 armor to be worth more than 80 all resist... reduces % melee/ranged might also be very nice but Blizz hasn't exactly gushed lots of information about what things do what types of damage in the game and not all their mechanics seem to make sense.

The best way to deal lots of damage... attack speed, crit chance, crit damage/average damage, primary stat.

The best way to heal: Don't have a zillion life. Use *some* lifesteal and possibly *some* LoH depending on your skills. Skills such as rend which return a % of life back based upon your dps are golden as they allow you to use even more aggressive equipment than you could otherwise normally survive the highest levels of the game with.

Back on the original topic: The OP has made some interesting points that were not obvious to all because the game displays only DR %. From there I just see a lot of arguing about context of the usage of the word "Returns"... so maybe the title could read "Diminishing returns of effective health derived from armor = Myth" and that might be more clear but it's not a big deal.
Edited by Svendre#1554 on 11/24/2012 8:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't know what the cheering is about, basically the author needs to go back to school, any school with foundation in maths, science, engineering, or economics.

If worth a million dollars, I stole 50% from you. You're now worth $500,000. You're very angry that I took away $500,000 from you.

Now, I stole another 50% from you. You're not as angry now, because I only took $250,000 from you.

Then, I stole another 50% from you. You're actually happy now, because I only managed to steal $125,000 from you!

Now I'm worth $875,000 from $0, and you're only worth $125,000 but you're happier, so that makes both of us happy! :)

If you plot the rate at which I take money from you, you'll get a linear straight line (eHP doh!)

In case you're from a different world or come from a strange school, this is the globally recognised definition of diminishing returns:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

The very charts in that "proof" already closes the argument.

To explain clearly how Armor, AR, %elite reduction, %melee reduction works towards total mitigation, just take off the reading value of each of those curves, and multiply the applicable terms together in the following way:
Mitigation = [1 - (1-Armor.decimals) x (1-AR.decimals) x (1-elite reduction.decimals) x... etc]

Don't pretend to be a maths geek when you don't even know the basic definition of "diminishing returns". It's as ridiculous as trying to say "Force = mass of dog poo", when the whole world agrees that "Force" has a different definition.
Edited by PaulNg#6869 on 7/23/2013 3:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Paul... this is a 2012 thread...

Wonder who bump it
Reply Quote
Paul... this is a 2012 thread... Wonder who bump it

I bumped it because Gunner couldn't let the issue drop. So I'm coming to the root source, to get the wrong facts straightened out.
Reply Quote
Necrotrolling...thx though I almost forgot about this debate...
Reply Quote
Thank you for taking the time to share this. I was wondering how the armor and resists worked.
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 03:47 AMPosted by PaulNg
Paul... this is a 2012 thread... Wonder who bump it

I bumped it because Gunner couldn't let the issue drop. So I'm coming to the root source, to get the wrong facts straightened out.

I don't know what you were thinking about when you bumped this, but basically you need to go back to school, any school with foundation in computers, forum etiquette, reading comprehension, or necromancy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]