Diablo® III

Torchlight 2 vs Diablo 3

05/24/2012 04:44 AMPosted by Pentagram
So is anyone going to play Torchlight 2?

I Already AM playing TL2 - the beta is awesome. It also supports up to 6 players in a single game (and can be modded for up to 32 players in a single game if you want).

However, not everyone will like it for one big reason:

The game is 100% moddable, online and offline. And Runic Games will not be hosting Secure Character Servers like Blizzard does for Diablo 2 Closed Realms and Diablo 3.

Anyone can create a character in TL2 and GIVE THEM any weapon or armor or item in the game and go online with them and play in games with people playing legit and ruin the whole experience for everyone.

So, unless you ONLY play with friends, you might join a game with someone who maxed out their character and is 1-shotting everything in the game.

However, since the whole game is 100% moddable, the community can create their OWN MAPS, bosses, levels, etc...

So, there is good and bad. But the TL2 community will have to police itself since it's going to be so open and unrestricted.

Just something to consider.
Edited by Scourge#1319 on 5/24/2012 6:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
If I wanted to play a cartoony PoS game, I'd go buy Rift.

you do know the guys who developed diablo II worked on this game right?.....its 20$ and im almost certain itll have more longevity than this wanna be dungeon siege game blizzard released called diablo III......to cartoony? have you seen the pony level? guess not.

And the guys who were part of D2 and are now working on TL2 are STUCK in D2. The game has the same clunky skill-point system, apparantly there's no respeccing either. TITAN'S QUEST had respeccing, and Diablo 2 had respeccing around the end, but Torchlight doesn't? The heck?

I also like more diablo / titan's quest realism in games. I like Torchlight's style, but I love the grittier feel of Diablo.

Anyone can create a character in TL2 and GIVE THEM any weapon or armor or item in the game and go online with them and play in games with people playing legit and ruin the whole experience for everyone.

CRAP! That's what I hated about Titan's quest. :(

Oh well...
Edited by Barathos#1862 on 5/24/2012 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
guess i will play EVE Online again
Reply Quote
Starcraft ftw
Reply Quote
BWAA? Rift has insane graphics! Get a better computer man.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 06:10 AMPosted by Barathos

you do know the guys who developed diablo II worked on this game right?.....its 20$ and im almost certain itll have more longevity than this wanna be dungeon siege game blizzard released called diablo III......to cartoony? have you seen the pony level? guess not.

And the guys who were part of D2 and are now working on TL2 are STUCK in D2. The game has the same clunky skill-point system, apparantly there's no respeccing either. TITAN'S QUEST had respeccing, and Diablo 2 had respeccing around the end, but Torchlight doesn't? The heck?

I also like more diablo / titan's quest realism in games. I like Torchlight's style, but I love the grittier feel of Diablo.

CRAP! That's what I hated about Titan's quest. :(

Oh well...

There's talk about making a matchmaking system that will let you choose "legit" games and "modded" games, but nothing is set yet.

Right now, the idea is you can play with your characters online and offline [the same character(s) for both modes] and you can use the included TL2 editor to do whatever you want - mod your characters or even mod the whole game itself. Like re-mod the game with newer, higer-Res models and textures - even do a Diablo 3 conversion mod if you want LOL (I totally expect a community-made Diablo 2 conversion mod for TL2)

Basically, if you want to play legit - you need to go out of your way to only play with legit players and stick to private games. Runic is not going to store online characters in an un-editable vault - they will be saved to your own PC.
Reply Quote
If they do a special $5 steam deal like they did many times with TL1 I will probably get it.

In TL1 is there was a huge thread in the bug report section of the forums filled with people reporting an ember lance bug (including me). The Runic staff ignored it saying it was just a graphics glitch. It caused me and a few friends I talked into buying the game and playing with me to die often. They refuse to address it or even admit it. That is a pretty big bug and most of all, I felt terrible I convinced my friends to buy a game with such an obvious bug they refuse to fix.

Another blow from Runic games, they started Runic under the promise of an MMO. Their hardcore fans came from Mythos (like me) and loved it. We were excited about getting a quick single player ARPG while on the way to the MMO. They promised it wouldn't derail the MMO too much. We believed them and the fans all got behind them.

Well they lied. They got greedy after having some success of TL1 and sold out to making another quick (although they didn't get it done very quickly!) ARPG to make a few more bucks. I will still get TL2 if they run a special, but I will never be a "fan" of Runic games again.
Edited by Nosaji#1517 on 5/24/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Neither, i am going for Guild Wars 2 while playing Skyrim! Diablo III sucks!!
Reply Quote
Why would i want an ihop steak when i have a high end restaurant filet mignon in front of me? no.

Torchlight one was one of the most overrated, bland, un-fun and unoriginal games i have ever played.
Reply Quote
Lets see

Torchlight 2-cartoon graphics, dumbed down gameplay, magically pixie fairy quests.

D3- awesome graphics, killing zombies, mass hoards coming at me, blood at guts everywhere.

I think you can tell the winner
Reply Quote
Why would i want an ihop steak when i have a high end restaurant filet mignon in front of me? no.

Torchlight one was one of the most overrated, bland, un-fun and unoriginal games i have ever played.

I agree, Torchlight was easily one of my least liked ARPGs, besibes maybe Dungeon Runners. I liked all the Diablo games, Titan Quest, Path of Exile, Borderlands, and Darkspore all better.
Reply Quote
Guys, I agree Diablo 3 has many flaws (that will be fixed I hope), but it's a Diablo 3 general discussion forum. Thus, if you want to speak about other games, there are other places.

It should be deleted.
Edited by Saryia#2565 on 5/24/2012 6:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, bought and paid for already. Too bad there was no CE.
Torchlight is great.
Reply Quote
05/24/2012 05:00 AMPosted by KamoteChunks
+1 it looks like disneyland and if people are complaining about drops in d3 wait till you play TL XD

a, not disneyland. no it's not as dark but honestly neither is d3.

b, the drops are better. i have been in beta (still am til today) - the drops are interesting and varied, with more that matters than just vit+main dmg att, and much more creative.

i cannot wait for torchilight 2, and i am very surprised to be saying that having not even beaten d3 normal yet. the itemzation is so very boring - and the linear, non-random maps even moreso.
Edited by digibucc#1923 on 5/24/2012 7:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, I prolly buy it if it is out in the store but if it is not, then I have no choice but to buy it on steam.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]