Diablo® III

Demon Hunter lvl 60 Build - Hell Difficulty

I play with this:

Status
Level 60 - Demon Hunter
Hell Act I

Stats
Strength 126 (126 Armor)
Dexterity 759 (759% Damage / 25.18% Dodge)
Intelligence 318 (31.8 Resistance)
Vitality 1368 (56824 Health points)
-------
Armor 2218 (42.51% Damage reduction) (+ Shield 17% Block)
Damage 7554

Active skills
Primary Weapon: Hungering Arrow (spray of teeth)
Secondary Weapon: Chakram (razor disk)
Device: Fan of knives (hail of knives)
Defensive: Smoke Screen (lingerine fog)
Defensive: Caltrops (jagged spikes)
Hunting: Preparation (battle scars)

Passive skills
Brooding
Steady Aim
Sharpshooter

Follower Templar
Skill (5): Heal
Skill (10): Loyalty
Skill (15): Charge
Skill (20): Guardian

Some problems:
1. The caltrops takes away the discipline from the (incredible) important Smoke Screen. Even if it's nerfed now I still think it's a "must have skill" so avoid the ice-blast/arcane while sitting in the cage for example.
2. I'm not sure that the Templar's Guardian skill is really useful and that I should choose the other one to get more discipline regeneration to solve the problem above or at least make it a lesser problem.
3. I feel kinda less agile and miss my old vault to escape.

Any other comments?
I would appreciate any help on this build!
Reply Quote
When I solo I use the regen skill offered by the templar.
I don't use ss. Never have and unless I can't handle act3 and higher I never will. I just use caltrops with the 2 second root, vault with the 50% reduced cost.
I'm only running 30k hp. But I'm also hitting 14.7k damage
Currently level 59
Edited by MrOrange#1808 on 5/24/2012 3:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
level 57 here and in a1 hell. i've recently switched out caltrops for vault and i've always used SS + prep/battle scars. caltrops seems easier to use but it is less effective imo against champion packs. i feel being very skilled with vault will make you much safer than caltrops. i'm having trouble with it now though because i've just started using it. i'm not vaulting enough in situations i should be but i think with time i'll get better.
Reply Quote
MrOrange how has caltrops been against champion packs? i feel like since i've been playing hell most packs seem to run right through it. i'm hoping if i can vault around efficiently it'll be an overall better defensive skill than caltrops in tougher situations
Reply Quote
Hmm, interesting.
I just have a feeling that SS and Prep/Battle scars is a "must have skill"!
However, Vault also steals Discipline points from SS...and Vault wont help you if they wall/cage you.

If discipline points is out I use the fan of knives as a last cleaner to gain time for the SS/potion/prep.
Reply Quote
that's why you take the root perk. That's essential because without it they just run right through. Vault is fine for me. If I get walled. I put a caltropa down wait for them to trigger it and vault forwards. Then backwards or w.e I can go to kite. On top of all of this I also grab impale with the stun perk. It works out for kiting too. When you hit fast mobs you will run out of discipline soon enough so I have to resort to impale then auto attack and rinse and repeat while kiting of course. I'm in act 2 hell btw. If I can do all of this without ss then it must not be that vital then huh?
p.s I also carry fan of knives its nice for a huge burst damage when they get to close and it slows too
Reply Quote
Level 58 dh. After the SS nerf I started using Spike Trap->Scatter (which places 3 traps at once) and recommend it. I place defensive traps before engaging, and set more traps while kiting. Traps hit hard with sharpshooter, archery, and a x-bow.

Near walls and doorways I can often get all 3 traps to hit for 75k damage total.
Reply Quote
If soloing most immobilize / stun builds work to kite. I find SS less useful the further I go when alone.

When playing with a partner SS is crucial. It lets you smoke out from frozen blasts while maintaining DPS, dump aggro, etc. I usually pair it with tactical advantage. Stop firing for 2 seconds to quickly re-position far away if the mob comes close to me, continue DPSing.
Reply Quote
Act 1 inferno dh here. I have a few suggestions. I think there a few flaws in your build. In fact, the biggest one, you already self identified. Caltrops taking away all valuable disc. I'd highly recommend replacing it with vault acrobatics rune. It is really effective and can save you a ss cast. So if your in a fight and you have full disc, use smoke screen. Next time you need an escape, use the vault. This way your disc is regening and you can get your vault cooldown recovering.

Replace your passives. I'd go acrobatics over brooding. 60% haste is really good.
Replace steady aim with archery, this is just preference but the steady aim is unreliable when you need it the most (when enemies are on top of you).

Change the hatred generator to evasive shot. Rune it with the 2 disc cost and witness the insane synergy of evasive shot and acrobatics. This will allow way more kiting than costs way less and generates more hatred than HA. Plus it is better to haste yourself than to slow your enemies (avoiding arrows etc). Also, if you want, use the multishot version of evadsive fire. It is actually really powerful but i prefer the lower disc cost of the 2 disc rune. So much to say about this skill. Another benefit of evasive is if you are fighting teleport mobs and spamming evasive fire then get teleported on, you will leap back quicker than you can even react.

Im on a phone at the moment so ill wrap this up.

Try nether strike over chakram, look it up, best single target and aoe spell and gives you life leech, which is great vs damage reflect.

Replace fan of knives with bat companion or multishot with supression fire. The disc gain as a solo dh is very good.

Lastly, buy items that give +discipline. Aka if you have plus 12 disc thats basiclly 2 additional SS after prep.

Bored at work, im actually drafting a DH guide but i might not ever finish it because im addicted to diablo 3. Anyways have a good day.
Reply Quote
Sorry about the typos, hard to write a big post on a phone at work. If you need me to clarify any of that cryptic message let me know.
Reply Quote
This thread was very informative, thanks.
Reply Quote
19 Gnome Warlock
Yea. This thread is very helpful. I'm a 45 DH finishing Act 2NM.

Bdy - I have a couple questions:

By acrobatics, you mean Tactical Adv? You get movement speed not haste... or maybe that is just schematics.

Shield/quiver - when aiming to maximize our disc pool, if would make sense to rock a bow and quiver. Does it worth giving-up the survivability a shield can provide?

What is your vit/dex ratio on avarage?

If and when you write a guide, please post the link in here... the sc forums are full of suicide builds, so their use value is very low for us.

((edited typos))
Edited by bym#1763 on 5/25/2012 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yes movement speed for tactical adv. Discipline regens 1per sec. If using evasive fire with surge rune it also cost 2 discipline and provides 2 sec of next level movespeed :)

I don't know my dex vit ratio but i'd say a quiver with 6 discipline or higher is better survivabilty than a shield. Hell act 4 expect hits for about 20-30k from opressors. Sheild armor will reduce it by about 7% which is 1400-2100 hp then you have a 1/5 chance to block another 1-1.5k. Or you can stack more discipline and dps to avoid it all together by killing them quickly and dodging. this alone doesnt make up for the shield, but what does it that 2handers provide more vit / stats and dps than 1 handers. My bow gives 198 vit and quiver gives 103 dex (dodge/dps) and 60vit about. So you can gear the quiver to provide similsr levels of protection through vit on top of the disc sweetness.

I guess tatical advantage is really about efficentcy. Why waste valuable disc slowing mobs when you can get a free movespeed increase.

Again, sorry for typos and grammar, on a phone at work. And yes, i wish blizzard would make hc class forums.
Edited by BDY#1756 on 5/25/2012 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
bdy has a very good post. Inferno as a DH is a new game. I do not play HC but I can tell you this, hitting the Inferno wall pushes us to seek info. The DH thread is full of hard crit builds that expect you to die. Finding a useful dps survival thread is rare.

Some info from my own experience, smokescreen is for damage reflect mobs. I typically kite with traps or evasivefire/vault+passive. That results in much less death but when I hit a difficult rare/champ on a weird screen angle and he starts attacking before I can move, SS saves like nothing else.

If you're at 30k+ hp then shadowpower with gloom can be a better alternative to ss. 3 seconds vs 1.5. just expect to lose more than half of your hp.

I think the most useful advise from bdy is about the snares vs self movement speed. On Inferno you really cannot snare rares (they have a high % reduction to cc) but your self buffs are just as efficient as always.

ps. butcher on inferno does his random aoe hook and it hits me for about 40k. It's quite difficult to dodge/react because there seems to be no tell. Especially when kiting off screen. The many many random deaths from this has been frustrating. Since this is a HC thread please go in with more than 40k hp OR sentry with damage reduction and or caltrop with damage reduction passive. That way you do not have to fear the random hooks. He only does the ability once between his charge attack but it can be anytime after he charges. You're not safe nor can you avoid it once it's coming unless you're already out of range. The range can be the screen width though, it seems certain angles are shorter than they appear and I get hit when I think I am ranged.
Edited by Zidaen#1208 on 5/25/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Okey some things has changed!

First things first:

Status
Level 60 - Demon Hunter
Hell Act II

Stats
Strength 126 (126 Armor)
Dexterity 814 (814% Damage / 26.28% Dodge)
Vitality 1493 (62512 Health points)
-------
Damage 7045

Active skills
Primary Weapon: Hungering Arrow (spray of teeth)
Secondary Weapon: Chakram (razor disk)
Defensive: Caltrops (jagged spikes)

Passive skills
Brooding
Steady Aim
Sharpshooter

Follower Templar

And to some of the comments I have been reading:
1. Since I ONLY use one handed crossbow with a shield I don't think archery helps over 20% extra damage, 10 yards in the game is very close to the character and Brooding really helps me maintain full HP/ recover faster since my build is vitality based I benefit ever more from this. If monsters getting too close I use the fan of knives and escape, they also have a slow effect.
2. However, there is some really interesting tactics discussed here (goin gto checek it all up later when I come home from the beach)

But first a specific question:

The last skill on the templar gives either more regen for disc (extremly important) or something that would save you (or can It really do that?) What do you guys prefer?
Reply Quote
This build is so much diffrent from the one im using, i'm almost at Belial A2 hell, and im lvl 56 with 38k hp.

Im using Frost arrow, multishot with broadside and a big fat 2hand crossbow. Sharpshooter gives me 21k crits my first round of multishot for every group of mobs and I aint never going back to 1hander and a shield =))
Reply Quote
Also worth mentioning, is if you get good enough gear, you wont need Brooding you can get that healing from only gear slots.
Reply Quote
You guys really think Brooding is not worth it??

I always thought of that as a "must have" skill period...
Reply Quote
Brooding might reduce downtime and potion consumption, but it stops working when you need it most.

I leave health globes behind so I rarely have downtime where there isn't a health globe nearby.

Though it might be useful for a few locked encounters without healing available, like Kulle and Rakanoth.
Edited by Khaaannnn#1814 on 5/27/2012 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok after bdy's post I use this now and it's a totally new gameplay. I hope you bdy will see this and give me some final adjustments =))

Status
Level 60 - Demon Hunter
Hell Act II

Stats
Strength 126 (126 Armor)
Dexterity 814 (814% Damage / 26.28% Dodge)
Vitality 1505 (63541 Health points)
-------
Damage 4815

Active skills
Primary Weapon: Evasive Fire (shrapnel)
Secondary Weapon: Elemental Arrow (nether tentacles)
Defensive: Vault (acrobatics)

Passive skills
Brooding
Steady Aim
Tactical Advantage

Follower Templar
Edited by WindStorm#2361 on 5/28/2012 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]