Diablo® III

A permanent fix to your FPS Stuttering issues

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello dear gamers,

From all of the time I have spent playing Blizzard's wonderful games, this is the first post that I am actually creating on the Battle.net forums.

To get right down to business, with the release of Diablo III, as much as I and many others may be enjoying the game, there will always be performance issues on release. Even if a game took approximately 12 years to make. That being said, Blizzard over it's 12 year development has chosen to code Diablo III with a "steaming" type of engine (the fact that certain files, in this case, the .mpq assets must be constantly read from the hard-drive in order for the game to function "properly"). Unfortunately, this combination of code has lead to many woes for many gamers, including ones with high-end PC gaming rigs. This issue has become known as the "Loading Assets Issue" . While there may be a lot of temporary solutions posted on these forums thus far, I would like to post what may be a permanent fix which may apply not only to this game, but to everything you may do on your PC from now on.

Look into Windows Cache optimization solutions. Two of the biggest programs (yes, they are shareware) that I can think of are Raxco's PerfectCache, and O&O's CleverCache. Basically, these types of programs optimize your file cache management in Windows. This results in an enormous performance boost, sometimes doubling your original system speed without any additional hardware purchases or restrictions to your system’s stability. If a computer is used without interruption for longer periods, slower answering times of applications will occur. By restarting the computer, you will find out that the system runs with significantly higher performance. The reason for this is the empty file cache resulting from the reboot of the system. These programs achieve the same result without any reboot, ensuring maximum performance while the system is online. To some extent, some may say it performs just like a RAMDisk, but the difference is that the important files that are being utilized at a specific moment are the ones being taken care of right away, unless otherwise specified. I have recently installed O&O's CleverCache, and I must say, virtually ALL of my stuttering problems that I suffered before, are gone. The only "stutter" I get now is when the game actually loads up for the first time.

My System Specifications

Operating System: Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)

CPU Type: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz

System Memory: 8.00 GB

Video Card Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Twin Frozr III) 301.42 Drivers

Video Card Memory: 1.28 GB

Desktop Resolution: 1440x900

Hard Disk Size: 2TB (2x1TB RAID0)

Download Speed: 50 MB/s

With the system mentioned above, I have been going from 150+ fps to 20 CONSISTENTLY. It never stayed in one place because I always was in the middle of big action. After the fix, without VSYNC, I maintained my 150 fps through out. The game really did feel fresh, as it should have during launch.

TL;DR: IF YOU ARE HAVING A SEVERE LOADING ASSETS ISSUE, GET A PROGRAM THAT WILL BETTER MANAGE YOUR WINDOWS 7 FILE CACHE. DOESN'T MATTER IF IT IS FREEWARE OR SHAREWARE.

SOME EXAMPLES:

SHAREWARE:
http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/ooclevercache

http://www.raxco.com/home/perfectcache_workstation.aspx

FREEWARE:
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fancy-cache/

http://www.outertech.com/en/how-to-speed-up-your-computer
Reply Quote
I don't get it, I installed so now do I just leave it on?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/25/2012 04:04 PMPosted by KeytaR
I don't get it, I installed so now do I just leave it on?

Yes. One you have selected the software that you want to use, make sure it always runs in the background and also runs on startup. That way, the Cache will always be optimized. Any other questions? What software did you end up using? Please tell me if it is helping you put in any way.
Edited by ShobuPrime#1748 on 5/26/2012 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just your friendly neighborhood bump.
Reply Quote
Just install and run diablo?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/25/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Wolfz
Just install and run diablo?

I know some people do not have the "Loading Assets" stuttering issue... they are lucky. But if you even stopped and took a second to read what's going on in these forums... ESPECIALLY what's going on in the technical support area here, you would notice that there are many people with both high and low end gaming rigs that are having many unexplainable issues. That is why I took my time to write this.
Reply Quote
I'm not at home to try this right now, but thanks for offering up another possible solution. I will be trying this when I'm home this weekend, so just tagging the topic.
Reply Quote
I have not tried this yet but I am curious as to why this would actually work. From my understanding the stutter problem is caused because D3 loads all the assets on demand. Once those assets have been loaded into your ram and cache the game will run smoothly until it hits another new asset. (Which happens alot)

The longer you play D3 and the less often you restart windows the smoother D3 will play. This happens because those assets have been loaded already. So why would having a program that clears the cache help reduce the stutter. If anything I would believe that it would increase the stutter because the assets would have to load again.

Did you reset your computer between testing to see if it reduced your stutter?

I'm trying it now
Edited by Papadope#1882 on 5/26/2012 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just installed CacheMan, It was a Stutter Fest

Only thing that actually helps me considerably is RamDisk
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have not tried this yet but I am curious as to why this would actually work. From my understanding the stutter problem is caused because D3 loads all the assets on demand. Once those assets have been loaded into your ram and cache the game will run smoothly until it hits another new asset. (Which happens alot)

The longer you play D3 and the less often you restart windows the smoother D3 will play. This happens because those assets have been loaded already. So why would having a program that clears the cache help reduce the stutter. If anything I would believe that it would increase the stutter because the assets would have to load again.

Did you reset your computer between testing to see if it reduced your stutter?

I'm trying it now

I greatly appreciate your input on this topic. I do realize I should of tried to explain it better in my first post and go into depth about the issue with the frequent loading of assets. When you claim that you play D3 longer and it should run smoothly... it also does as well when you use [most] these programs. I've never tried CacheMan, and I'm sorry to hear that it turned into a huge stutter fest to you, as I don't know how it would of turned into one, but as I'm using O&O Defrag's CleverCache, I never get any stutter except for the first load. This stays consistent both with and without restarts. It even stays smooth and doesn't stutter at all if i frequently change characters and acts during the same play session.

I also don't get any stutter if I get the cache management program running between games. I have tried this with the MoP beta, the Live WoW Client, and League of Legends. When I would finish playing those games, and go back to D3, the program gives me a fresh cache, optimized just for D3 and I don't get any stutters at all except for the first load again.

Is there something else I'm missing that you still have questions for? Once again, thanks for your input.
Reply Quote
So for being a bit brash on my post. I appreciate the time you have spent to post a possible fix for the stuttering problem that many users are having. It has just been a frustrating experience with all the different fix's that have not panned out so well.

I'm glad to hear that O&O Defrag's CleverCache has helped you with your stutter problem but I am not looking to purchase this software.

Using the freeware program CacheMan did not have any change on my system but I understand that you are using a different software.

Currently I have remedied my stutter problem to a significant degree by using workarounds posted on the following thread. You should look into it as well as I think it will further help you reduce the stutters that you encounter. I have combined Edstroyer's workaround with minuteZERO's ramdisk.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178443?page=1
Reply Quote
Just figured out you can download CleverCache for a free 30 day trial if you go to their downloads page. It could possibly by like winrar in which you don't ever actually have to pay for it.

Using this I've been able to get my FPS to stay steady at 59 (For some reason my 1080p monitor is a 59hz. My 60hz monitor was still getting slight tearing at 60 for some reason using this fix but! After doing this fix my gpu is actually maintaining decent usage (40~ percent) and the game is running at a locked FPS! I even had the game bouncing in the 200s!
Reply Quote
Bump, if Ramdrives helped a bit, this thing fixed it for me without one.
Reply Quote
How do you explain that the game works perfectly after 1 am when the servers are no longer overloaded ?

Do you really think we will buy that cache crap ?

You're busted, blizzard customer service indian teleoperator !
Reply Quote
...What? Are you retarded?

A majority of the people having the issues aren't using high end SSD's. My Caviar Black isn't even able to keep up with the game (which I think is actually a hardware failure but its passing all of WD checks). This cache fix got my cpu actually working and my GPU is now running at 40-50 percent load with all maxed graphics, where as it was only using 20 percent before and running very poorly. Locked 60 fps :)
Reply Quote
Those who have HDD stutter should really upgrade to a real HDD.. I got a dirt cheap (costs like few packs of smokes) 7200rpm hdd and have max 4ms latency on the mpq files from the same hdd where windows and pagefile are.. For FPS stutter, which is the biggest issue, this 'solution' is useless..
Edited by Risse#2921 on 5/27/2012 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My Caviar Black 7200rpm 64 bit cache was having the stutter.
Reply Quote
I've been having this issue on my laptop since launch. But it seems to have gotten worse over the last few days.

It has a 2820QM processor and 6970m video card. My hard drive LED goes nuts and I get stuttering and drops in FPS.

I did try the cache clearing fix, but it only seemed to help for that session. The next day it was back to the same problem.

My desktop machine has no issue (other than the server lag). It is a i7 930 and gtx 580.

Also CPU and GPU usage when I play seems really low. I do play with vsync on though since it seems to help smooth things out.

I hope this is being worked on for an upcoming patch.
Reply Quote
This was promising at first but after I tried it in a group of 3 people it was no different than the usual. A fight breaks out with a handful of monsters on the screen in act 2 and the fps drops from a steady 60 to single digit numbers. I was disappointed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]