Diablo® III

Sharpshooter: What you Really Get

Well, I made a c++ program to determine what the benefit of sharpshooter was, and I spent 40 minutes typing a nicely formatted message to report my results, but then upon clicking the preview button all the text irreversibly cleared, and of course I didn't copy the text before hitting preview, so I lost it all. So now, instead of a nicely formatted message you get the TL;DR version.

Over a long period of time (such that initial 100% is insignificant), with a 1.1 attacks per second crossbow and 12% quiver (1.1*112%=1.232 attacks per second), and 5% crit chance, you are critting 15.51% of the time with sharpshooter.

Add attack speed, such as using a bow, and you get:
1.4*112%= attacks per second (bow) -> 13.50% effective crit chance.
1.6*112%*115% dual wield bonus=2.06 aps (2.032 if additive) -> 12.59% effective crit chance.

Add movement, reducing how often you attack, and you get:
Attacking every 2 seconds -> 22.06% crit chance
Every 4 seconds -> 31.38% crit chance

Add crit chance beyond the base 5% and:
15% crit results in -> 22.50% crit chance
25% crit results in -> 30.44% crit chance
In other words, stacking more crit chance reduces the effectiveness (of the gear, or the passive, whichever way you look at it).

Now, if you shorten the fight to a realistic time and begin with 100% crit chance for the first few shots, you get:
2 minute fight (boss) -> 31.08% crit chance
And that doesn't factor in the fact that you are also moving on most boss fights, which would make it have an even greater benefit.

As you shorten the duration of the fight even more, the benefit increases hugely, such as burning a pack of rare mobs, which is probably when it's needed most.

So TL;DR of the TL;DR:
Worst case scenario, sharpshooter raises critical hit chance by 10.5%.
Shorter fights can make this benefit 25-45%, or in the extreme case, allow you to fire off enough guaranteed crits in a couple of seconds to kill the mob.
Attack speed and Critical hit chance both DECREASE the effectiveness of sharpshooter.
Typical move-shoot-move kiting increases benefit of sharpshooter significantly.
Edited by Lutraphobia#1675 on 5/26/2012 12:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
hmmm, makes sense. basically what you are trying to say is:

-if you attack speed is fast enough, you wont need sharpshooter because the volume of attacks you make crits the enemies enough

-and if your crit chance is really high, you wont need sharpshooter because you will be getting crits often enough for the passive to be of actual help.
Reply Quote
The passive is the !@#$.
Reply Quote

Over a long period of time (such that initial 100% is insignificant), with a 1.1 attacks per second crossbow and 12% quiver (1.1*112%=1.232 attacks per second), and 5% crit chance, you are critting 15.51% of the time with sharpshooter.

Add attack speed, such as using a bow, and you get:
1.4*112%= attacks per second (bow) -> 13.50% effective crit chance.
1.6*112%*115% dual wield bonus=2.06 aps (2.032 if additive) -> 12.59% effective crit chance.

Whilst it is all well and good to say sharpshooter on a ungeared player is 15.51%, let's take a quick look at a rough estimate of what is LIKELY to happen.

Taking my gear for example, not crit stacked but I am probably overgeared for this argument. Running at 22.5% crit (no SS) and 2.16 APS. (I stack a lot of attack speed).

My crit per second would be 0.486. Let's make the large assumption that this is an accurate description of my crit per second, Whilst I don't always attack at 2.16 APS, even when stutter stepping it's pretty decent. To balance that out, most of the time I will hit multiple enemies or my arrow will pierce and hit multiple times. (piercing turns 1 attack into a bit over 1.5) (aoe obviously multipling attacks further) That being said i'm not sure if the crit will be allocated per arrow or per hit (fear is per arrow)

Expected time until a crit is 1/0.486 = 2.06s.

Which would mean on average you would get close to 6% crit.

Please tear me to shreds if I am absolutely wrong, i wish to learn why.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]