Diablo® III

List of Life-on-Hit for Wizards

100 Human Paladin
Bump for an amazing post. Just to be clear "per tick" means per second right? 2 other skills I would be curious aboutNis the familiar and MW/venom rune. From what I understand venom rune used to proc LOH, but I doubt it does anymore.

I'll do some more testing this evening and try and refine the values, as well as add these ones. The tests are difficult to do, because a lot of skills are AoE, and I needed to hit multiple targets without getting my face wrecked. Slow zombies are the best for it, but they still hit hard on Inferno if they catch you!

To answer your question: Per tick means exactly that, for each time you see a damage number pop up. For beam skills (Ray of Frost, Disintegrate) each tick is every half-second from what I can tell. Increased attack speed makes the AP drain bigger and increases the damage per tick instead of increasing the actual tick rate.

Another oddity is that you'll see the monster's health bar drop in a smooth manner, not in chunks every 0.5 seconds. I suspect what's actually happening is that the ticks are much faster (at least 10 per second most likely), but that the REPORTED values are actually only every 0.5 seconds. That makes sense to me. So the healing you see occurs every 0.5 seconds as well for channeled beam spells (and Sleet Storm for that matter). What the game seems to be doing is summing the damage dealt in those 0.5 seconds, then reporting a number.

I'm not sure what the Blizzard tick rate is.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Request STICKY

Before the critical mass nerf, I tested that build with a life-on-hit weapon and was pretty amazing.

Now I'm aming to get a very good amount of life-on-hit, since I use MM. I'm aiming for 3000+ and with 3.0 or more attacks per sec, seems good IMO. 3-4 hits and is about the same as pot.
Reply Quote

Just tested this myself with 400 life per second regen, and 1273 life after kill. Was getting 4k heal ticks when spamming hydra, lmfao

Oh god.

In before new exploit trend.
Reply Quote
thankyou for that information.
i was wondering why blizzard /hydra build wasnt healing me.... now i know.
Reply Quote
Requesting Stickie!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/29/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Tectonic
Now I'm aming to get a very good amount of life-on-hit, since I use MM. I'm aiming for 3000+ and with 3.0 or more attacks per sec, seems good IMO. 3-4 hits and is about the same as pot.

Wow, is it even possible to get 3000+ life on hit?

I said I'd test things when I got home, but it appears the auth server is down, :(
Reply Quote
Seriously deserves a sticky!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Updated! May 29, 2012. I changed some of the values with more accurate numbers and filled in the missing ones.
Reply Quote
Many thanks for the work! This will come in handy
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Corrected values for channeled spells. If you hold it down for 2 ticks, the heal aggregates and shows the sum value.
Reply Quote
When I refer to a % value, that's the percent of life-on-hit you get. So if you cast Magic Missile and you have 100 life on hit, you get 120 life, but casting Arcane Orb only gives you 33 life per target hit by the explosion.

I thought Magic Missile was 100%. I don't know how you calculated this but the values are definitely off.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
05/30/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Corel
When I refer to a % value, that's the percent of life-on-hit you get. So if you cast Magic Missile and you have 100 life on hit, you get 120 life, but casting Arcane Orb only gives you 33 life per target hit by the explosion.

I thought Magic Missile was 100%. I don't know how you calculated this but the values are definitely off.

That was a typo. Magic Missile is 100% with most of its runes (but not all).

Which values are specifically off? What are the correct values for those specific ones that are off?
Reply Quote
I'm curious, for Shock Pulse Piercing orb, does that give you life for every unit it hits? Also, is the ratio lowered for Life Steal? Does it give you life for every object you hit with Shock Pulse if you have life steal? Or is that lowered as well?
Reply Quote
Piercing Orb will heal you for each unit hit. If you hit 3 targets, you will receive 3x25% of your life per hit stat.

I have not tested life steal but check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33UDzGZTHPI&feature=plcp

I've tested life on hit for 4 skills on my own before finding this thread and some of my numbers don't match so I'll post what I have here.

My Spectral Blade tests match your results.

Blizzard with Stark Winter rune heals 1%.

The single target Ray of Frost runes actually do heal 66% per half second. I tested my health gained over time with a stop watch.

Disintegrate:
-Convergence: 33.3% per ½ second (per target hit)
-Chaos Nexus: piercing beam 33.3% per ½ second (per target hit), small beams 22.2% per ½ second against 1 target, being near 2 targets gave inconsistent results but seemed to average around 33.3% per ½ second (more testing required), 3 targets either kill me or die too quickly at the spots I tried testing at.
-Volatility: 23.46% per ½ second (per target hit), explosion ???
-Entropy: 50% per ½ second (per target hit)
-Intensify: 50% per ½ second (per target hit)

A note on healing with channeled skills
Arcane Power cost and damage scales with your attack speed but life gained from life on hit remains constant. Increased attack speed bonuses have no effect on the amounts healed from Disintegrate and Ray of Frost. Healing and damage dealt is instantaneous but the client displays numbers from slow health draining and regeneration every half second.

I also tested life on hit in various difficulties and there is no penalty in higher difficulties. Overkill lowers your health gained so you won't heal the expected amounts if you can kill your target in one hit.
Reply Quote
nice OP.. very nice!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Wraith, I edited in your testing results from Disintegrate. I'd like some other players to independently confirm or deny both of our Disintegrate numbers.
Reply Quote
bump for awesome post
Reply Quote
Nice info, very informative. My self am aiming at 1k life each hit. I dont know how you could get 3k since Life after each hit is a stat that does not appear on all items.
Reply Quote
I believe I've found out why there's a dsicrepancy with channelled spells, and it's all to do with how attack speed affects tick rates. His figures matched yours for non-channelled spells, but channelled spells can't be worked out per visual tick because each tick occurs every 0.5 seconds but its stats (damage, AP consumption etc) are normalised based on attack speed. So if you have higher attack speed, you'll get more life per visible tick, but the exact same per virtual tick of your spell.

To test this I used a 1.0 attack speed weapon and a +100 to life on hit amulet (so each point healed is 1%):

Blizzard: 2 per unit hit
Hydra: 0
Electrocute (lightning blast): 16 per unit hit
Spectral blade (Impact): 66 per tick (all 3 hit 1 target)
Spectral blade (Thrown): 33 per tick (all 3 hit 1 target)
Disintegrate: 16 per unit hit per tick
Disintegrate (volatility): 12 per unit per tick
Ray of Frost: 33 per tick

So here are the results on Ice beam and disintegrate (no rune):

Attack speed 0.999:
Disintegrate: 16 for one hit, 33 per tick if held down, 16 if enemy has less than 155% weapon damage in HP left (guaranteed only one hit, both real and virtual).
Ray of Frost: 33 per tick, 33/tick if held down

Attack speed 1.3:
Disintegrate: 33 for one tick, 50 per tick if held down, 16 if the enemy has less than 155% weapon damage in HP left
Ray of Frost: 33 for one tick, 66/tick if held down, 33 if the enemy has less than 215% weapon damage left

Attack speed 1.55:
Disintegrate: 33 for one tick, 50 per tick if held down, 16 if the enemy has less than 155% weapon damage in HP left
Ray of Frost: 33 for one tick, 66/tick if held down, 33 if the enemy has less than 215% weapon damage left

Attack speed 1.66:
Ray of Frost: 66 for one tick, 66/tick if held down, 33 if the enemy has less than 215% weapon damage left

Attack speed 1.9:
Disintegrate: 33 for one tick, 50 per tick if held down (sometimes 66), 16 if the enemy has less than 155% weapon damage in HP left
Ray of Frost: 66 for one tick, 100/tick if held down (sometimes 66), 33 if the enemy has less than 215% weapon damage left

Attack speed of 2.0:
Disintegrate: 50 for one tick, 66 per tick if held down, 16 if the enemy has less than 155% weapon damage in HP left
Ray of Frost: 66 for one tick, 100/tick if held down, 33 if the enemy has less than 215% weapon damage left

Attack speed of 2.38:
Disintegrate: 50 for one tick, 66 per tick if held down, 16 if the enemy has less than 155% weapon damage in HP left
Ray of Frost: 66 for one tick, 100/tick if held down, 33 if the enemy has less than 215% weapon damage left

Note that the "for one tick" bit is increasing because the higher your attack speed the more hits you get by clicking once, it's just impossible to always get one hit the way you can with a non-channelled spell. Also note that the "if the enemy has less than X% weapon damage in HP left" bit shows one single hit, and so is the actual real value for life on hit for that spell per tick. It's the fundamental base unit of life on hit for that spell, and agrees with the OP's numbers.

What's happening here?
So what seems to be happening here is that channelled spells report their progress in damage numbers etc every 0.5 seconds but under the hood the spell is actually ticking at a rate based on your attack speed. Whether the spell is actually ticking faster or just virtually ticking faster by using normalised stats is up for debate, but the result is that in between two 0.5 second reports the spell can have built up several hits and they all report their numbers at once. That's where the confusion regarding tick rates and life per hit on channelled spells is coming from.

Interestingly, it seems like Disintegrate has a faster internal tick rate than of Ray of Frost. Disintegrate hits twice per tick at 1.0 attack speed, three times at 1.3, and four times at 2.0. Ray of Frost is hitting once at 1.0, twice at 1.3, and three times at 2.0. Every channelled spell may have an internal attack speed modifier.

How is ticking actually happening under the hood?
So while damage is scaled up based on attack speed, the number of hits for the purposes of life on hit aren't. What I don't know yet is if this means attack speed between certain breakpoints will increase life on hit regen or not. If the spells tick server-side at once every 0.5 seconds and the stats are being normalised per tick, then as the number of hits is an integer value, attack speed between breakpoints won't increase life on hit. If the spell is literally ticking faster than 0.5 seconds but the numbers are only reported to us every 0.5 seconds, then the lost hits will just end up in the next tick.

I'm not sure which it is, I'll probably test it at some point. I have a feeling it's the latter, as I've noticed a symptom of it where hits alternate between two life on hit values (like 33, 66, 33, 66, 33, 66 etc). That would suggest the hits are evenly spaced based on your attack speed and some ticks are getting 2 while others are getting 1.
Edited by Nyphur#2126 on 6/1/2012 2:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
BTW, this list is even more important than you realise. These aren't just life on hit coefficients, they're spell coefficients for everything.

My testing indicates that Magic Weapon: Venom uses these as percentage chances to proc on hit, and paralysis passive seems to use this as a multiplier for its 8% chance to paralyse. I'd bet they're also used by critical mass, life leech, and every percentage proc on a weapon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]