Diablo® III

List of Life-on-Hit for Wizards

I actually did very similar testing, and was gonna do a writeup... my numbers agree with yours pretty well (I'll try and post my raw numbers here tonight for correlation).

But yeah... Doing testing with Arcane Dynamo, Critical Mass, Magic Weapon Shocking, and +AP on Crit, these numbers are all used there:

For Arcane Dynamo each hit has a probability the same as the modifier, each calculated independently... so for Magic Missile with Split, each hit has approximately a 33% chance to proc Arcane Dynamo. This means you can get anywhere from 0 to 3 procs on a cast, averaging one.

The same applies to Magic Weapon Shocking, and Critical mass (Hence Living lightning and blizzard sucking for Critical mass, and meteor and arcane mines being pretty good).

Lastly for AP on Crit, the AP gain is multiplied by this value... so if you have 10 AP on Crit, and crit with Shock Orb, you'll get 2.5 AP... and it does appear to use and consider fractional values or adjusts the probability to compensate... since Living lightning works with it.

Also, a small correction, meteor is actually 25% on hit, and 25% from dot ticks, but the first dot tick is immediate, leading to seeing 50% on hit... if you try meteor on a target weak enough that the first hit kills it you'll consistently see the 25%.

variations on this lead to thinking that overkill hurts you. It doesn't... but certain spells, like meteor, and the beams (ray of frost, disintegrate) that tick very quickly and gain a small value per tick make it appear that it does...

You can actually measure tick size on them pretty easily by hit really low level enemies with them and see the damage.
Edited by Xevron#1203 on 6/1/2012 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice post.
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Xevron
Lastly for AP on Crit, the AP gain is multiplied by this value... so if you have 10 AP on Crit, and crit with Shock Orb, you'll get 2.5 AP... and it does appear to use and consider fractional values or adjusts the probability to compensate... since Living lightning works with it.

I'm pretty sure you're right that while AP is rounded up for display purposes, it actually uses fractions under the hood. There are things like beams taking AP per visible tick that require it to use fractional values since your attack speed can be a fraction.

Good to know this is used for AP on crit too though, if this isn't reduced by a factor at higher attack speeds, I could see a crit build based on AP on crit working nicely. Maybe something based on Arcane Orb and Meteor?
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Nyphur
Good to know this is used for AP on crit too though, if this isn't reduced by a factor at higher attack speeds, I could see a crit build based on AP on crit working nicely. Maybe something based on Arcane Orb and Meteor?

I've seen several variations of Critical Mass/Meteor builds, and if you stack some AP on Crit you can cast those meteors till the cows come home. (The cows WILL kill you)
Edited by Xevron#1203 on 6/1/2012 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Small correction to the list btw, Ray of Frost Sleet Storm is actually 25% per target per tick, not 50%. I was thinking it could be overpowered as hell with AP on crit if it was 50% so I tested it and it's definitely 25%.
Reply Quote
Sticky please. This is exactly the information I've been looking for! Thank you original poster!!!!
Reply Quote
http://www.twitch.tv/arkd3/b/319957225

uhh this guys seems to use hydra for +life on kill...
Reply Quote
As I mentioned earlier... here's my data:

I was testing with 120 life on hit, I have here the raw results and the calculated coefficients. All of my numbers are for a single hit. This means with spells like spectral blade, which hit many times quickly, and with channeled spells these results will look small.

I achieved this by testing on Act I Normal skeletons (Leoric's Tomb... infinite skeletons on demand is handy).

Spell Rune Life Coefficient
Arcane Blast (Archon) 30 25.0%
Arcane Orb Arcane Nova 20 16.7%
Arcane Orb Arcane Orbit 30 25.0%
Arcane Orb Celestial Orb 24 20.0%
Arcane Orb None 39 32.5%
Arcane Orb Obliteration 39 32.5%
Arcane Torrent Arcane Mines 60 50.0%
Arcane Torrent Cascade 19 15.8%
Arcane Torrent Death Blossom 72 60.0%
Arcane Torrent None 24 20.0%
Archon Strike (Archon) 60 50.0%
Blizzard None 2 1.7%
Blizzard Stark Winter 1 0.8%
Disintegrate Convergence 13 10.8%
Disintegrate None 20 16.7%
Disintegrate Volatility 15 12.5%
Disintegrate Volatility (Explosio 0 0.0%
Disintegration Wave (Archon) 24 20.0%
Electrocute Arc Lightning 12 10.0%
Electrocute Chain Lightning 10 8.3%
Electrocute Lightning Blast 20 16.7%
Electrocute None 30 25.0%
Electrocute Surge of Power 30 25.0%
Energy Twister None 6 5.0%
Energy Twister Storm Chaser (Bonus 6 5.0%
Energy Twister Wicked Wind 6 5.0%
Explosive Blast Chain Reaction 13 10.8%
Explosive Blast None 39 32.5%
Explosive Blast Obliterate 15 12.5%
Frost Nova Cold Snap 20 16.7%
Frost Nova None 20 16.7%
Frost Nova Shatter 20 16.7%
Frost Nova Shatter - Secondary 0 0.0%
Hydra None 0 0.0%
Ice Armor Crystallize 0 0.0%
Ice Armor Frozen Storm 15 12.5%
Ice Armor Ice Reflect 0 0.0%
Magic Missile Charged Blast 120 100.0%
Magic Missile Piercing 40 33.3%
Magic Missile Seeker 120 100.0%
Magic Missile Split 42 35.0%
Magic Weapon Electrify 0 0.0%
Meteor Meteor Shower 12 10.0%
Meteor None - Ground Burnin 30 25.0%
Meteor None - Primary Hit 30 25.0%
Meteor Star Pact 30 25.0%
Ray of Frost Black Ice (Ice Patch 40 33.3%
Ray of Frost None 40 33.3%
Ray of Frost Sleet Storm 30 25.0%
Shock Pulse Fire Bolts 40 33.3%
Shock Pulse Living Lightning 2 1.7%
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb 30 25.0%
Spectral Blade Deep Cuts 26 21.7%
Spectral Blade None 26 21.7%
Spectral Blade Siphoning Blade 26 21.7%
Spectral Blade Thrown Blade 13 10.8%
Storm Armor Power of the Storm 0 0.0%
Storm Armor Reactive Armor 0 0.0%
Teleport Calamity 20 16.7%
Wave of Force Force Affinity 20 16.7%

Edited by Xevron#1203 on 6/1/2012 11:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
And here is my data on procs. I was testing with Arcane Dynamo, this has the coefficient listed as calculated above, and the Procs is the number of times Arcane Dynamo proc'd in 100 hits of the spell. The data correlates well wiith the Coefficient being used as the proc chance as well.

Spell Rune Coefficient Procs
Magic Missile Seeker 100.0% 100
Magic Missile Piercing 33.3% 35
Magic Missile Split 35.0% 31
Shock Pulse Fire Bolts 33.3% 28
Shock Pulse Piercing Orb 25.0% 25
Electrocute Surge of Power 25.0% 24
Spectral Blade Siphoning Blade 21.7% 22
Spectral Blade Thrown Blade 10.8% 10
Shock Pulse Living Lightning 1.7% 3
Reply Quote
Awesome data Xevron. I found it helpful to test with exactly 100 life on hit, we could probably get more accurate results with a set of gear that adds up to 1000 as the game rounds numbers up for display purposes.

That's life on kill, it's a completely different stat. And the Hydra thing's a bug that's probably going to be fixed soon. Enjoy it while it lasts!
Reply Quote
For some of the smaller values (Living Lightning and Blizzard most notably) I'd love to re-run the tests with much higher life on hit (I was using 120), but getting high Life per hit that also happens to be a nice round number is tricky. My ultimate goal is to get 1000 life on hit even, as that would make for very clean, obvious data.
Reply Quote

This is a seperate issue... you get nothing from the hydra killing or hitting anything... It's currently bugged so you do however get kill credit for killing the hydra. So you can just spam hydra, repeatedly killing 3 heads, for 3 kills...
Reply Quote
Excellent post! Much appreciated
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
Mods, PLEASE sticky this. I requested a sticky as well. It has a ton of useful data that all wizards should know.
Reply Quote
bumping this. Thanks for the testing all.
Reply Quote
Great job dude! Anyone know the stats for diffrent spells on convert % life on weapons ?
Reply Quote
Didn't know life on hit and AP on crit were relative. This gets really confusing, one would assume using more attacks or attacks that hit more enemies would help with this kind of effects, but it seems balanced to be the other way.

Also requesting this for sticky. Oh and if those values are consistent with Dynamo/Crit Mass proc'ing values, you should clarify that on first post as well. I've been wanting to see theese numbers so much I even made another thread with this UI sugestion:

http://imgur.com/HajXk

If you like that idea, come sign this thread as well, see if blizz gives us the numbers in-game:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5596252619#1
Reply Quote
Requested for sticky. This is just about one of the most useful post on this forum.
Reply Quote
Oh hey, does the Lightning armor shock proc life on hit as well? I'd like to know that. It would be good for a melee mage, since getting hit means regaining more life.
Reply Quote
awsomeness
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]