Diablo® III

Updating Setup Files... [Successful Fix]

85 Orc Hunter
EDIT: This solved my issue! I'm on the Hero Creation Screen now! If anyone else has been successful with this info, please post.

After attempting 99% of the suggested solutions here on the forums to the downloader and Agent.exe "Updating setup files..." loop, I may have found a fix. This is working for me as I type, and I will update later on whether or not it's successful.

1) Just in case of file corruption, go ahead and delete the Battle.Net folder in your Program Data system folder. (This is hidden by default. Open a window such as My Documents, then from the menu bar up top: Click "Organize" -> Click "Folder and Search options" -> Choose the "View" tab -> Check Show Hidden Files and Folders). The installer will recreate this folder. You'll need to go back to this folder in Step 3.

2) Run the installer again, and let it loop from "Opening Blizzard launcher..." back to "Updating setup files..." Then, close out the installer, and go to your Task Manager and kill any Agent.exe processes on your "Processes" tab.

Here's the center of the issue:

3) Go into the Battle.Net sub-folder in the Program Data system folder and do the following:

Navigate to the Agent folder -> Right-click Agent.exe -> Choose "Properties" -> Choose the "Compatibility" tab -> UNCHECK "RUN THIS PROGRAM AS AN ADMINISTRATOR". If this checkbox is greyed out, click the button below the checkbox that says "Change settings for all users" and then uncheck "Run this program as an administrator." Click OK.

Do this for the Agent.exe files in the Agent.524 and Agent.954 sub-folders of the Agent folder, as well as BlizzardLauncher.exe in the Client folder of the original Battle.Net folder. BlizzardLauncher.exe files in both Blizzard Launcher.888 and Blizzard Launcher.1575 folders will also need to have administrator rights revoked.

As a side note, this was all done without downloading 3rd party Battle.Net folders or updaters from Gamefront or PatchUp, and no Compatibility Mode settings were used. Just start this guide with the installer from your Battle.Net account page.

Please feel free to post your results, questions, comments, clarifications, etc. Hope this helps (and I hope also works for me). I'll update later if the Launcher installs the game correctly.
Edited by Ryooshi#1992 on 5/15/2012 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
*bump* (in the hope this helps at least one person)
Reply Quote
Dude, thanks, this (sort of) worked for me.

I had to do it a little differently though, after following your steps I was still getting the loop, so I killed agent.exe (I left the installer open), manually opened it (C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.exe), and the launcher opened. Then I started the install, but had two agent.exes open so I killed the one using less CPU. Installing now as I type this.
Reply Quote
didnt work for me. :(
Reply Quote
At 10% I also got the error 'failed to download required file', I had to download the .tfil from here: http://patchup.info/d3/tfil/

And extracted it into my Diablo 3 install folder. Seems to be working smoothly now.
Edited by Vertimyst#1317 on 5/15/2012 7:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you so much, I didn't do exactly as you said (instead I took off compatibility mode from the Agent.exe) but now it works... I hope
Reply Quote
59 Undead Death Knight
Something that may also help with this issue. (It's among the stickies and it's been posted everywhere)

Make sure 'Automatically detect settings' is not enabled in:
  • Open Internet Explorer, press Alt + T, then click on: Internet options -> Connections tab -> LAN Settings and uncheck everything.

And it's also important that you select "Never dial a connection" on the Connections tab.

One more thing. If your Windows user is a non-administrator user, when you run something as admin, the operating system will use the LAN Settings and other connections settings from the user which has Administrator privileges. So, make sure you log onto that user and check if those settings(LAN Settings, etc) are correct.
Edited by e1D#1473 on 5/15/2012 8:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You are amazing this worked when nothing else would.

HUZZAH!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Okay, so I run Windows XP..wheres this file I need to find? There is no c:/Programdata/...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy CRAP, Ryooshi, THANK YOU. I've been trying literally EVERYTHING else and this is the only method that actually worked.
Reply Quote
Nothing worked. Tried all this.
Reply Quote
This did not work.... still not working
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Rogue
The problem is when I download the game client from the battle.net website, I do not receive the 2nd agent.954 or the launcher. Anyone know why?
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Rogue
gump in hopes someone knows what is wrong.
Reply Quote
@ryooshi, my administrator boxes were unchecked to begin with...
Reply Quote
hey guys if u have tried all of above then try some of these
http://www.keenandgraev.com/2012/05/12/diablo-3-stuck-updating-setup-files-fix/
first one worked for me and now im installing game correctly.
Edited by Janizuela#2962 on 5/16/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hey guys if u have tried all of above then try some of these
http://www.keenandgraev.com/2012/05/12/diablo-3-stuck-updating-setup-files-fix/
first one worked for me and now I'm installing game correctly.

The fifth worked for me. went to installing screen said need new OS.

http://us.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/d3-installers/589acdb4-c660-318a-b993-01528fad7da6/Diablo-III-8370-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe

found that link in another thread, installed the 1st 7.6gb, but it never really finished. just went to 7.60 and didnt do anything. so i re-downloaded the client off blizzard, and it started, no "new OS" message.
at 20% now. I'll post back if I find anything else. GL
Reply Quote
holy !@#$ that link actually has it installing but it didnt update files or anything.. hope its legit... first time i seen an installation screen so i guess thats progress
Reply Quote
OMFG, this is likely the best thing ive ever read in my whole life...

if this works (as it has been doing so) i will worship you for the rest of my life.
Reply Quote
I cant seem to keep the blizzard download agent running when i try to "play" game. goes to communication error has occurred. restart computer or contact tech. sup.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]