Diablo® III

Failed to launch a critical file

100 Undead Warlock
Failed to launch a critical file. Please close all other applications, temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again. Alternatively, log in as as administrator and try again.

I was playing the game an hour ago. I logged out and exited the client to go have some lunch. I came back and am now getting the above error after clicking Play in the launcher. Same thing happens whether I run Diablo III.exe or Diable III Launcher.exe

The PC was not shutdown and did not sleep or hibernate.
No other software was running or was run while the client was exited.
No updates happened to Windows or my Anti-Virus.

I always run the executables as administrator.

What happened in the last hour? Agent.exe is currently running and I'm guessing was running the whole time the client was shut down. I've killed it and tried again, no difference.
Reply Quote
I was trying to figure out why my girlfriend's brand new computer was locking up when playing D3, and I discovered that if I had "Run as Administrator" checked, it would not launch. Unchecking that will launch the game again.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I....I just...sigh.

Thank you Taediumvitae.

First it wouldn't work without admin privilege and now it won't work with it. Seriously, absolutely nothing had changed since I was playing it this morning and it stopped working. Turn off run as admin and away it goes. Unreal. Thanks again!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
I am having the same error, but even after unchecking "Run as Administrator" for D3, I still can't launch the game.
Reply Quote
10 Dwarf Paladin
My first time trying to play I had this problem, went and set "run as administrator" and tried again, did not work. I tried a bunch of stuff, then came looking in forums and saw this post.

I then went and made it so I was NO longer running as administrator and then it worked. So if you are having that issue maybe this is the key. Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]