Diablo® III

reason for no offline play mode

This is why there is no offline mode in D3

I am quoting from a Reddit link,

Having to be connected to a server to play alone sucks. And thousands of people are complaining about that today... yet most of them don't understand why Blizzard doesn't offer online play. They say it's to prevent piracy, when it's not.

Blizzard has to run servers for at least 10 years to support this game, as they know from their past franchises, for the (very popular) multiplayer component. It shouldn't be surprising they looked for a way to get some recurring revenue from the game so that the ongoing costs are covered by the people still playing it. Their solution was the real-money auction house.

To run a real-money auction house, they have to absolutely eliminate hacking and duping, or rare items won't be rare and there will be no incentive to create a robust market which Blizzard can earn money from. The only sure way to eliminate hacking and duping is to run D3 like an MMO... put everything on a server you don't control. You can hack your client all day long, but since your characters, the world, mob spawns and deaths, experience and loot are all generated and stored on the server, you can't cheat and create items.

There is no single player game. They never programmed one. To offer one at this point would be as much design and programming effort as creating Diablo 4. So don't expect there to ever be an offline patch for D3. When you play single player, you're just playing a multiplayer server instance that happens to only have one player in it.

I fully support this.

( I found a thread in d3 forums where someone had linked this topic/post thought I would put it in a thread for all to see)
Reply Quote
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/toog3/the_real_reason_there_is_no_offline_play

thats the link I sourced from

Good luck logging in!!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I know a lot of people are new to Diablo with D3, but for anyone who has played D2 online in the past 2 years or so, I'll bet they completely agree with the online DRM.

D2 is unbelievably congested with bots and spammers that you literally cannot play a game properly.

If you host a game, within 5 seconds of that game being open, the ENTIRE game will be filled with bots who spam your chat log to the point that you cannot see ANYTHING on your screen.

As soon as they leave the game, another bunch join.

If it means that I have to endure a bit of downtime to ensure a spam/hack/bot-free environment for months and years to come, so be it.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Once the game gets through its growing pains, I think the forced-online bit will actually be a good thing, for the reasons mentioned above.

OP: Interesting read, thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I never play single player anyway. I always played alone on battle.net, doesn't feel any different and it makes more sense to do so - at least I think it does anyway.

I also really like the RMAH, I think it's a cool idea.
Reply Quote
Makes sense and is a good excuse to upgrade your net download/speed plan lol.
Reply Quote
I understand the reason for not having offline play, but i have played enough MMO's over the last 10 years to know the duping will happen eventually. It makes me sad to know they still haven't gotten rid of the spammers and bots on D2 i use to enjoy doing baal runs with everyone.
Reply Quote
They could easily make it, that if you choose to play a character offline, you cannot participate in the online auction with that character.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The lag is the issue, people wouldn't care that it requires you to log in if the game was smooth. The reason people are angered is that they have a hack n slasher game with delay.
Reply Quote
Why not bar offline characters from accessing the auction house.

Because this is drm and them trying to squeeze as much money as they possibly can. I remember reading someones comment on the issue that ea is despised and blizzard is revered but what they've done here is far more draconian then anyone else so far.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Great read OP makes a lot of sense, glad to see something positive for a change
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 11:16 PMPosted by Caustic
They could easily make it, that if you choose to play a character offline, you cannot participate in the online auction with that character.

this could happen one day with patches etc,

When I first read the reddit link I was " like deerrrr" and it made sense to me,

I am happy that all of the server info, characters and such and stored on blizzard servers because if they were not, this game would become like D2 and fail,

I just think people have not played this enough or given enough time for blizzardd to iron the wrinkles out... like its only been live less than 2 days,
Reply Quote

Because this is drm and them trying to squeeze as much money as they possibly can. I remember reading someones comment on the issue that ea is despised and blizzard is revered but what they've done here is far more draconian then anyone else so far.

Why shouldn't they try and prevent piracy of their IP? Of course they want to make money, they are a company not a charity.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't mind just log in to get the game and have it approved but thats it no need for this on line stuff. I just would like to play in house lans game without logging in thats all. in my opinion.
Reply Quote

Why shouldn't they try and prevent piracy of their IP? Of course they want to make money, they are a company not a charity.

I'm willing to bet I could do a Google search right now and get a pirate version of the game, that's the problem with battling piracy it only ever punishes the customers.

And I've already purchased their game if they allowed us to host games ourselves they wouldn't need to maintain servers.
Reply Quote
just buy the game...it wont set you bankrupt..whats 60 bucks..a slab of beer and a few pizzas...my mate smokes 100 bucks of cigarettes a week...enjoy game!!
Reply Quote
The no offline thing is an absolute abomination of DRM. That's it.

There is no respite from pings, or lag spikes, or server glitches.

05/15/2012 10:49 PMPosted by Kastael
If it means that I have to endure a bit of downtime to ensure a spam/hack/bot-free environment for months and years to come, so be it.

How does this fix anything? Tell me how having an offline component to the game affects the multiplayer. It doesn't.

There is NO reason to not have a singleplayer mode that's completely removed from multiplayer.

This has nothing to do with bots, or hacking, or spammers.

Even when the game is operating as intended, I get the occasional rubber banding. I've already clocked two deaths from lag.

It's DRM out of control, to the point the game is often unplayable, and if I'd known it was going to be like this, I would not have purchased this game. And it most certainly will be my last Blizzard game, as I regret ever supporting this DRM scheme.
Edited by Shadowfox#1809 on 5/16/2012 4:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Dwarf Paladin
on D2 you could copy files and create another version of your toon because the toons where stored on your PC

this allowed you to

duplicate items ie gems and runes
backup your HC toon
and give your noob mate a copy of your fully geard toon ect....

the way it is your toon is stored on there servers so you cant do these things. makes the game better. no flood of the BIS gear/ gems
Reply Quote
on D2 you could copy files and create another version of your toon because the toons where stored on your PC

this allowed you to

duplicate items ie gems and runes
backup your HC toon
and give your noob mate a copy of your fully geard toon ect....

the way it is your toon is stored on there servers so you cant do these things. makes the game better. no flood of the BIS gear/ gems

You're not listening.

COMPLETELY removed from multiplayer.

*Multipler is the exact same as it is right now. Characters are stored on their servers.
*Singleplayer is how D2 used to be. Characters on the computer.

Have it so multiplayer characters can be moved to singleplayer, but singleplayer characters cannot be moved to multiplayer.

People can have their offline play, and multiplayer is as secure as it is right now. Simple, and an obvious solution so that offline play never comes into contact with multiplayer.

No-offline wasn't to fix the botting/hacking, it's nothing more than DRM in it's worst form.

EDIT: For the love of... not even in the middle of a cutscene is good enough. DCed halfway though the ending scene of Act I, and Error 3007 strikes. This is absurd.
Edited by Shadowfox#1809 on 5/16/2012 6:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
So according to that article, they have justified covering the server costs by implementing the AH.

The point that thousands upon thousands of people have tried to get across to obviously slow people is that players DO NOT want to have D3 on a server in the first place.

Another point is that if you are playing the game by yourself which by looking at the rage in these forums is a substantial amount of the playerbase, the game IS a single player game.

Capish?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]