Diablo® III

stutter issues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukY2L8PpSM

The above video demonstrates the problems thousands of users have been experiencing whilst trying to play Diablo III. This problem exists over many different combinations of CPU/GPU and does not appear to be related to hardware as I have observed on many different forums from users including this one. I have noticed that there have been many threads related to this issue closed as it stems back to the beta and would like a Blizzard employee (blue) to simply acknowledge this problem and to give feedback as to any possible solution if available on the side for the user and to let us know if this is currently being worked on.

I myself have experienced this issue and can say that it has ruined the experience of the game for me. I have spent hours installing the latest drivers and attempting all of the many fixes on the web and still the problem persists. I should note I was able to reduce the stutter by turning off in game shadows but the problem is still present.

I installed the game on another laptop (i5 sandybridge HD3000) and although I had to lower a lot of the graphical settings the gameplay was buttery smooth on the same network so its not a latency issue (45ms). This is very frustrating as I have a computer more than able to handle this game and have experienced no such issues in any other game including Blizzards own SC2 and WOW.

Samsung Series 7 Gamer Laptop
i7 2670QM @ 2.2 Ghz
16GB RAM
Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
Radeon HD6970M

All latest drivers installed. 100+ fps on max settings @ 1920x1080, (40ms latency)
Reply Quote
Having the same problem.

/bump
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlqieM_bgc&list=UUJ1rSlahM7TYWGxEscL0g7Q&index=3&feature=plcp

this well solve all of your problems
Reply Quote
62 Human Death Knight
I also have this same issue on a brand new high end gaming laptop. What can be done to fix this issue?
Reply Quote
same problem here
Reply Quote
55 Troll Priest
Windows 7 x64
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5400+ 2.8GHz
4 GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 260

...and I experience the same issues. Not the best computer in the world, I know, but I meet minimum (and almost recommended). The game is almost playable when by myself, but if I join a game with anyone else in it, it is literally unplayable. Constant FPS drops to 5-15 FPS, my character running in slow motion, the POOF and everything that was supposed to happen happens at once. It's extremely frustrating and many others are experiencing this issue. Please address this, Blizzard!
Edited by Jordyn#1375 on 5/16/2012 6:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Having looked at some of the fixes on offer it turns out that this issue stems from multi core CPU implementation in game and appears on some Intel i5, i7 systems as well as multi core chips from AMD. The fix which I have used that works for me is to disable cores the game uses whilst the game is loaded up using the task manager (processes tab. right click on diablo.exe. set affinity. disable required cores) which doesnt do it by itself but when I set sound to low and disable shadows in game everything works fine. Bit of a crap fix but it works for me at the moment.

Good luck guys.
Reply Quote
Same. i7 with 6G RAM and 2G video
Reply Quote
I have the same issues, yesterday I played for like 3 hours straight at one point and found that my issues has dissipated after 2 hours or so. The stutters also happen more frequently and with more severity when there are more actions being taken place on screen, quite annoying :\

my specs
Windows 7 64-bit
Processor:i5-2500k CPU @ 3.30ghz (4CPUs) ~3.6ghz
Memory: 8192MB ram
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 (approx. total memory 4064mb)
Reply Quote
Having the same issues --

Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7
8GB RAM
Radeon 5870M (1GB)

Did not experience the same issues in beta. Seems that once I have played for a couple hours the stutter is minimal, so I assume it only happens when loading assets for the first time. Game is still technically playable, but the stutter is highly bothersome.

Funny thing, after playing on the Americas servers for a few hours last night I jumped over to European servers during Americas maintenance and started a new character. When I was playing on EU servers I had nearly zero stutter. I chalk it up to having run a character through these areas already, so no new assets needed to load.

Issue described in following threads:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051865438
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051975289
Edited by oda#1532 on 5/16/2012 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
same here.
Vaio, Core i7, 6 gb RAM, Nvidia 330M.
Reply Quote
Core i7 2600k Oced to 5.0 Ghz
8 gig G.SKILL Sniper series ram
MSI Radeon R6970 Lightning
Asus ROG MAXIMUS IV mobo
Creative Sound blaster X-FI Titanium champion edition
BIGFOOT networks killer 2100 NIC

same issue stuttering/chopping without any real framerate drop. Its like the game is constantly loading something.

My computer should be able to easily manhandle D3's graphics engine.
Reply Quote
Same issue here, i've actaully been avoiding playing hoping it would be fixed in the first week or two. doesn't seem to be the case. Patch hit, no mention of the problem, a fix, or even them looking into it. Not a single blue response.

Core i7 3820 - 3.6Ghz
16 gig G.Skill Ares Ram in Quad channel.
EVGA Nvidia 570GTX 2.5g
Asrock x79 Extreme6 Mobo
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD sata 3
Reply Quote
I have confidence that blizzard is actively looking into this issue, however I was a bit surprised that the recent patch has absolutely no effect at all on the problem. It's also not said enough that this issue is characterized by not just the stutter/slowdown, but as is often not stressed enough; that changing settings from the absolute highest possible settings to the absolute lowest possible settings has little to no effect whatsoever on the game's performance. The small changes that are noticed are typically from a single setting, most often reducing shadow detail.

AMD FX-6100 3.3GHZ
8GB Ram
EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti

I bought this computer using every penny to my name and then some just to play this game. I understand everyone makes !@#$%^ so I dont really hold this against bliz, but I really do hope it doesnt take *too* much longer to fix this issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Setting the affinity in the process properties worked for me.
I don't know what it means, but thanks to the poster!
Reply Quote
This doesnt happen on every machine, I know many people who run the game flawlessly. This problem from what I have seen is limited to people with newer hardware, well above the requirements to run the game, who, regardless of any changes in settings (from very bottom to very top) experience an relatively equivalent level of stutter throughout the majority of the game.
Reply Quote
Same problem, particulary worst in Act 4 and generally in exterior, less in interior but still present. I notice this problem on many videos, I think this issue is present on all computers, more or less visible, most players seem to ignore it but not me, it's really annoying.

I loose hope this issue would be fixed one day... :(
Reply Quote
I am having the same issue and have submitted a ticket with Blizzard to hopefully get some sort of answer back.

My brother has an older ATI Card and is not having this issue....

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
8 GiGs Ram
Windows 7 64 bit
560 Ti
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]