Diablo® III

Privacy being disrespected/invaded

I agree with the OP on this one. Especially the Real ID deal. It would be nice if they made it an option to make everything private.
Reply Quote
Do you delete all your WoW characters at level 10 so that nobody can see you playing them, too?
Reply Quote
63 Blood Elf Hunter
I just find it amuseing that this person is worried someone can tell he has no life by how many hours he has logged lol!
Reply Quote
I support this topic, it shouldnt show your name. And it should be optional to show how much time you wasted playing Diablo 3
Reply Quote
Wow, another huge privacy oversight. Not cool at all..
Reply Quote
When viewing another player's profile, the character's page shows the time that player has spent in-game on each class.

This is an unnecessary invasion of privacy that many players, myself included, find to be absolutely appalling. It is no one's business by my own how much time I play my video games, and especially in a global society where gaming is often considered synonymous with "time wasting" and carries a bit of a stigma, it can have unintended social impact even among friends, or griefing/trolling between strangers.

I personally don't mind if there's still a graph showing the *relative* time played for each class, but certainly having a viewable time in days/hours/minutes is disrespectful to the privacy of the users. Some might say that even a relative graph of different characters is treading the line of privacy violation.

Note: This is viewable by *anyone* and is not limited to RealID/BattleTag friends. Just right click on someone's name in General Chat, for example. Even if it were limited to "people you choose to friend", it would still be a terrible idea that also continues to discourage making friends in what should be a social game.

--------

While I'm addressing privacy, though, I may as well hit the big one:

By default, battle.net accounts have enabled the "Show my Real ID on Friends of Friends lists" option. Most players do not even know that this setting exists, as it's tucked away 3 layers deep in the Account page. This feature, BY DEFAULT, shares your FULL name with anyone who is so much as friends with any of your friends. People who have no business knowing or seeing your full name...people who you very likely do not know.

The fact that this setting is default is absolutely mindblowing. This is a*terrible* disrespect for customer privacy. Especially in an environment where many of your customers might be children who do not even understand what it means to be privacy/security aware. Please fix this.

The main purpose for this ticket is the former issue, I just figured I'd expand upon it with the latter while I was here. It genuinely concerns me that Blizzard shows such disrespect for their user's privacy and is constantly "publishing" information that is personal.

I have one word for you: WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If you care about what other people think so much then you shouldn't be playing video games that suck your life away. Stop caring about what other people think and start caring about the stuff that matters. Like maxing your hero.
Reply Quote
TL:DR

/you ain't got to lie to kick it.
Edited by KMK#1500 on 5/16/2012 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
69 Blood Elf Paladin
Have you heard of Steam? Its kind of the biggest online gaming platform in the world. It has this feature as well. If you're ashamed of playing video games maybe you just shouldn't play at all, I'd rather have people who are enthused to play in the community, rather than embarrassed.
Reply Quote
8 Night Elf Druid
I was amazed to see how many random people were trolling the Bug Report forums. Apparently Blizzard decided to move it to General Discussion. How thoughtful: I try to provide legitimate, serious feedback to some glaring oversights in Blizzards social and privacy policies, and they throw me to the trolls. Thanks Blizzard.

Yes, this is a serious complaint. It's been legitimately shared by every single person I've asked about the issue. Not everyone is as concerned about it as I am, but even people who don't care much about it have generally agreed that it's poor policy on Blizzard's part.

For those mentioning Steam: You can disable your friends' ability to view those details of your profile. You can do no such thing in Diablo.

I sure hope this thread doesn't embody the level of maturity and intelligence left on the Official forums, for everyone's sake. You don't have to agree with a thread's suggestion or complaint, but please keep in mind that you don't have to respond to it either. Please stop acting like this is 4chan.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 05:57 PMPosted by CreamyMaster
Wow, another huge privacy oversight. Not cool at all..

It's not a "huge privacy oversight"....
Reply Quote
I would like to see some restrictions... But the Blizzard I.D is more troublesome but you said on by default. So I will go change that soon. The time spent online could suck if a friend or family member who also played the game caught you (You as in the player or anyone) in a lie...

Like no I don't play Diablo 3 much... And you have like 3 months logged in. Or you tell your girlfriend you need to study hard to pass you exams so you can't go and see the new movie "Wonderful flowers of gardening" with her... but she notices you play time increased in eight hours in one day... which would have been impossible if you were studying.

Or even more so if you called in sick for work and got caught because you were online playing by a co-worker.
Reply Quote
If this actually mattered to you (and I assure you, it doesn't) you could simply stop playing the game. You are not obligated to purchase Blizzard's games, and as such, not obligated to play them either. If an institution has policies which make you as horribly uncomfortable as you seem to be, remove yourself from financially supporting them.

Stop being the type of individual that thinks the world needs to conform to their every individual need. Much more private information than your video game logs are out in the world already, just play the game, and get yourself a broom for all the sand falling around your feet.

Heres the thing, you signed a EULA that somewhere states that you have given up certain rights to use the software.

Also there is no "RIGHT to privacy" this isn't a REAL right. Some courts may or may not interperate certain ammendments as such, but look at the BILL of RIGHTS.

No such thing. There are laws that protect privacy, but if your using someone elses servers, on yet another (ISP) persons service. Your putting yourself ON the internet, just like walking out in public, there are no privacy rights.

05/16/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Oxe
Embarrassed by how much you play? Play less.

These guy's pretty much said it the best :/

I don't see why you'd be concerned about what internet strangers think of you anyway. /tinfoilhat
Reply Quote
1 Orc Rogue
this is like trying to wear a jacket in the summer to "hide" your fat. who are you hiding from. no one gives a !@#$. people have to worry about their own lives way to much to care wtf you are doing. heaven forbid you get trolled once and cant find your ignore button -_-
Reply Quote
Honestly, you aren't a big enough deal for people to care about...
Reply Quote
Basically he's saying it's like taking a poop with the stall door open.

Analogy complete
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 05:30 PMPosted by Oxe
Embarrassed by how much you play? Play less.
Reply Quote
and this is why americans are willing to forfeit any right to privacy they've ever had before.... because they just don't give a flying f
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]