Diablo® III

Moving characters from server to server??

Got my character to level 7 right off the bat but since the epic fail of the servers for the first 24 hours of diablo 3 being released in america, I switched to the asia servers not knowing I would have to start over. Well I did start over then i got to level 10, so i then switched back to american servers. After switching back my old character was there. So now I've played the first part of the game twice. I don't want to go back to my old character and redo the things I did on the asia servers. So basically my question is how do I get my asian guy on american servers? Why do you have to be online in single player? And why does it matter what server I use, I should have the same player regardless, not replay the same crap just because the servers are down.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Tarrian
So basically my question is how do I get my asian guy on american servers?

You don't. The 3 regions are completely separate. Global Play means you can play on them, but everything stays in its associated region.

Why do you have to be online in single player?

Because it's a client-server game. Blizzard's hardware is hosting the game, not your local computer. If you want details on why it's client-server, there are many discussions out there that touch on it.

And why does it matter what server I use, I should have the same player regardless, not replay the same crap just because the servers are down.

It matters because they are completely different back ends. When you set the region you're playing in, your telling Blizzard where your character data should be saved. Every time you connect to that region, your character data will be there. Global Play gives you the flexibility of playing in a different region. Without this feature you'd just be SOL during server maintenance.

WoW is a convenient example: when you create a character on one realm you don't have access to it on a different server. The difference here is that D3 has 3 main divisions while WoW has the same/similar region restrictions and further sub-divisions for each server. Believe it or not, this is progress ;)
Reply Quote
I have the same issue as Tarrian.

I moved to the Asian servers during launch and picked it back up last Sunday when the servers were AGAIN offline in Europe. Now my character on the Asian servers has the highest lvl and I want to be able to move it to the European servers.

So I know it's not possible at the moment, but will it be in the future?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]