Diablo® III

Staying alive as DH

Yeah, level 36 DH, having tons of problems staying alive. I have 796 armor and 172 vitality(about 2k-ish HP, grabbing a mix of dex/vit gear when I see them) and I'm getting 2-3 shot by normal mobs. How much do you guys have around this level and what skills do you use to stay alive? Blue and yellow mobs are a problem in particular, they usually have abilities that make fleeing difficult.
Reply Quote
Why do you have so few hp. should be rocking 4+k-5k hp by that level... and you should get an defensive skill like smoke screen/vault when you get surrounded.
Reply Quote
Your HP is too low my DH is at 28 with 600dps and 3.6k hp. No problems so far, I just use alot of Carltrops n kiting the mobs around they go down in no time with my damage so far.. When i encounter a bunch of melee n ranged mobs I'll always lay down Carltrops to slow the melee mobs n place spike traps to kill the ranged mobs first.

Build I'm using so far works out very well for me.. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WRYdSQ!cb!aabZaa
Edited by Leo#1219 on 5/16/2012 11:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah I guess I need to seek out vitality then. Good to know I guess.
Reply Quote
I rolled into NM at about 35 with 1400 hp. It was not going very well, so I bought some rares off the AH with dex/vital and bumped up to about 6k, and it was fine. I stopped taking gear with high dex and no vital, and it was fine for the most part.

Now just walking into A4 NM, 16k HP, some mobs in A3/4 still demolish me in 2-3 hits.

http://i.imgur.com/OqOya.jpg
Edited by Dislol#1249 on 5/17/2012 12:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Im in A1 NM at 33 with around 800 dps and a little over 3000hp and I'm doing alright
Reply Quote
ive got 3900 hp at lvl 30, dead dps does less dps than alive one anyway ;d
Reply Quote
Make good use of smokes screen plus movement speed movement speed passive with this spell and the spell that gives you your discipline back (with health recharge passive ) and you should be fine.

But you definitly should have mor hitpoints i have 4000 at 38
Reply Quote
I rolled into NM at about 35 with 1400 hp. It was not going very well, so I bought some rares off the AH with dex/vital and bumped up to about 6k, and it was fine. I stopped taking gear with high dex and no vital, and it was fine for the most part.

Now just walking into A4 NM, 16k HP, some mobs in A3/4 still demolish me in 2-3 hits.

how do you have Vault and MoD up on your bars?
Reply Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What they said
Reply Quote

Turn on elective mode in your options.

topic: I'm doing fine with 2.5k HP with 1170 DPS. I would recommend using caltrops and vault. I haven't gotten a problem yet on Act II of NM
Reply Quote
Yeah I haven't really been using evasive stuff, I've been trying to make things as simple as possible. I'm basically just redoing Act 1 NM now for the gold, I'm going to shop the AH for high dex/vit gear and see how I do when that's been replaced. Much of it does need updating so I figure I can tack on another 4k HP through AH stuff. Thanks for posting your levels and hit points, it was nice to get a good perspective on it.
Reply Quote
View profile
Slow everything with Caltrops and/or Entangling Shot (first rune for 4 targets)

Vault away if needed.

If you don't spam the slows I think you end up relying on escapes too much and spend more time running away instead of killing.

I am level 35 with 4k health but since I keep everything slowed and avoid getting hit, it seems like I'd be fine with less health.
Edited by Khristophoro#1862 on 5/17/2012 1:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
Caltrops + the slow rune is amazing at keeping things in place so you can murderize them.
Reply Quote
The build I've been running. Multishot with Fire at Will is bananas, Gloom with damage reduction, bat pet for hated regen, Smoke Screen for getting out of bad situations, Marked for Death for more damages. Nightstalker is good with multishot, steady aim for more damage on my initial multishot barrage before things get to me, archery because 15% damage makes me laugh.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aQgTXj!XYe!aaYZZZ

The health/dps I'm looking at. (17.6k/4600)

http://i.imgur.com/TWgcd.jpg

I can do anything in NM easily. I'd go do Hell and probably steamroll A1, but I'm being nice and waiting for friends.

Demon Hunter, my favorite class by far.
Reply Quote
The build I've been running. Multishot with Fire at Will is bananas, Gloom with damage reduction, bat pet for hated regen, Smoke Screen for getting out of bad situations, Marked for Death for more damages. Nightstalker is good with multishot, steady aim for more damage on my initial multishot barrage before things get to me, archery because 15% damage makes me laugh.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aQgTXj!XYe!aaYZZZ

The health/dps I'm looking at. (17.6k/4600)

http://i.imgur.com/TWgcd.jpg

I can do anything in NM easily. I'd go do Hell and probably steamroll A1, but I'm being nice and waiting for friends.

Demon Hunter, my favorite class by far.

Surely, it probably works on creeps. But what do you use on bosses? Do you play solo or in a party?
I find that the lack of a slow is a gamebreaker, at least for me. Could it also work having entangling shot instead of hungering arrow? Just to get a slow into that build? Haven't used the bat pet at all, can it get killed?
Reply Quote
What you'll need to do is find dex/vit gear. I know thats stating the obvious but if you find socketed gear with a high dex then socket vit gems and vice versa. In nightmare even 4k is pretty low. The problem is that people are thinking to pumping dex any chance they get and that's guaranteeing you a lot of deaths.

I'm at 50 now with 12.5k hp or a bit more and i still pump out 1650 DPS. Build wise i use bola shot with thunder ball and frost arrow as a spender. Caltrops with jagged spikes is absolutely amazing. Sentry because its fun and rain of vengeance so that im dedicated to one hatred spender. I recommend using smoke screen and prep for bosses.

Ele arrow imo is the best hatred spender due to its extremely low cost and high damage output.
Reply Quote
What you'll need to do is find dex/vit gear. I know thats stating the obvious but if you find socketed gear with a high dex then socket vit gems and vice versa. In nightmare even 4k is pretty low. The problem is that people are thinking to pumping dex any chance they get and that's guaranteeing you a lot of deaths.

I'm at 50 now with 12.5k hp or a bit more and i still pump out 1650 DPS. Build wise i use bola shot with thunder ball and frost arrow as a spender. Caltrops with jagged spikes is absolutely amazing. Sentry because its fun and rain of vengeance so that im dedicated to one hatred spender. I recommend using smoke screen and prep for bosses.

Ele arrow imo is the best hatred spender due to its extremely low cost and high damage output.

lvl 50 with 1650 dps seems incredibly low.

I'm lvl 35 and I have 1450 dps.

DH really don't need that much vitality at all. with traps/ss or vault/map awareness, you should be melting stuff before they can even get to you.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Not reading any of this, im a Hell (A3) DH lvl 58 and staying alive is by far the HARDEST thing ive come to do, next to everything 1shots ou, you have to dodge every missile attack that comes at you or 1 shot you Vortex is your WORST enemy and even little pissy mobs hit you and you lose 3/4 of ur hp. Its not a fun life! but by god when we are up and kicking our Multishots are rapin face :P

<3 demon huntah fo evah!
Reply Quote
Surely, it probably works on creeps. But what do you use on bosses? Do you play solo or in a party?
I find that the lack of a slow is a gamebreaker, at least for me. Could it also work having entangling shot instead of hungering arrow? Just to get a slow into that build? Haven't used the bat pet at all, can it get killed?

That build was used soloing NM A3/4, and in a 3 man group up to that point. I find I don't even need a slow, anything not an elite or boss dies before it can get near me, and for elites and bosses I can just pop smoke screen with the tactical advantage passive and run back to range, rinse repeat. Single target and AOE dps is hilariously insane. I expect this won't work in Inferno, but I definitely won't be trying to solo inferno anytime soon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]