Diablo® III

Blizzard needs to look at WD again?

There are so many things about this class I don't understand.

Soul Harvest = over double your DPS on one skill.

Poison Dart with Splinters does 180% for 10 mana and Spirit Barrage does 190% for 108 mana?!

Half the skills have way too long of cooldowns. 60 seconds on pets/confusion. Great, works well for one pack of enemies, good luck on the next three.

For how swarmy the game is, I don't understand why Hex/Toad of Hugeness is in game.

Haunt with Consuming Spirit returns 155 life per second. The amount is so insignificant I don't understand Blizzard came up with this number. Should have been percentage based at like 1%.

etc. etc.

I'm doing OK with my WD using Soul Harvest, Spirit Walk, and Firebomb. But looking through and playing around with all the other abilites, there are so many abilities that flat out don't make sense or have numbers that seem way too out of balance.
Reply Quote
I love hex I use it all the time. And I am going to try out toad of hugeness again i think that is has huge potential.
Reply Quote
Stop crying.
Reply Quote
You should look at toad of hugeness as a CC and in later difficulties CC matters. None of these spells even make sense when you look at Normal/NM. Mass confusion why even bother when you can aoe em down in like 1-2 spells. Horrify well now i have to single em all down when it is so much easier to kite backwards, direbat, dead move on.
Reply Quote
Blizzard definitely needs to review some of the WD skills. I've been spamming Dire bats ever since I got it and I'm on Act 2 of Hell right now -_-. All the other skills in comparison just have waaaaay too high cooldown, cost too much mana, or lack in damage. Also for a pet class, our pets sure do suck.
Reply Quote
I am seriously starting to believe that they just balanced normal difficulty for release, figuring that the majority of the player base would stay in the early game for awhile and that they'd have some time to balance the rest in patches. There are numbers all over the game that don't make any sense.
Reply Quote
Witch Doctor will be getting looked at. It's the least-played class, it's the class that struggles most in Inferno, and overall a lot of WD abilities, runes and passives do not synergize well or function as intended.

Until then, I'll be leaving my WD at 50 while I get my Wiz back up to speed.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure that, with the Manitou rune, Spirit Barrage will justify it's mana cost.

Toad of Hugeness should be very effective for PVP.

Haunt with Consuming Spirit probably is not meant for endgame play. Blizzard wants every ability to have some value later on, not every rune.

I'm not saying there are not balance issues, I'm just saying that the runes you mention have specific uses. Each is a tiny part of an extensive toolkit. In this way, the Witchdoctor plays like my old Vanilla WOW Warlock.
Reply Quote
I agree with most of what you're saying.. Save Hex.. Have a relook at that skill.. It's one of the Witchdoctors best.

The cooldown is roughly equal to the duration, it acts as a healing potion every 15 seconds, and it can take a rare monster out of the game.. Target it by being closest to the monster you wish to nullify.
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 08:55 AMPosted by Langolier
There are numbers all over the game that don't make any sense.

I've noticed a few other skills, but not so much as the WD class as a whole (hence the post). If it was one or two worthless abilities--whatever--I'd shrug it off and move on.

I'm pretty sure that, with the Manitou rune, Spirit Barrage will justify it's mana cost.

Until level 59 it is completely worthless though? :(

Haunt with Consuming Spirit probably is not meant for endgame play. Blizzard wants every ability to have some value later on, not every rune.

It wasn't good at the beginning of the game either.

In this way, the Witchdoctor plays like my old Vanilla WOW Warlock.

If the gameplay was similar to WoW, some of the abilities would be much more useful. But 90% of the time, your screen is covered with enemies. A single target DoT or single target CC seems way out of place.
Edited by Matthew#1673 on 5/19/2012 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yep. I've been spamming Poison Darts with Splinter as my primary and Dire Bats as my secondary the entire game (currently in Nightmare Act 3). His pets are pretty garbage - they die super fast and do minimal damage. Many of his skill runes are pretty terrible too. The Hex where you turn into an angry chicken? Seriously? It amuses your team mates, but other than that, serves no practical purpose. Spider Queen is horrid and Toad of Hugeness is terrible (lasts 5 seconds, eats a monster, but usually spits him out before disappearing).

Hex is awesome - amazing way to beat down champions/heroes and soul harvest is amazing as well.

In terms of passives, there seems to be very little choice, given that his pets suck, and you basically need that one that saves you when you take fatal damage.
Reply Quote
You must be level 20 something. Little enemies die fast AND at the same time no matter how far away you are with a good build. Hex is INCREDIBLE for rare packs, just shut up and level kid -- It's not the game, it's you.
Reply Quote
Whats wrong with zombie dog? i love using it with 4 sacrifices, it save my !@# from ambush
Reply Quote

It wasn't good at the beginning of the game either.

I spend most of the time in a boss fight dodging the lethal attacks. I'm lucky to get an attack or two off every 5 seconds. So I typically choose the highest damage long range skills I can, regardless of their duration.. If they add health it only adds to my longevity in what is ultimately a battle of attrition. Not saying that more health wouldn't be good, but I've been using haunt to kill the bosses since I got it. I wouldn't use it otherwise though.
Edited by Wuji#1857 on 5/19/2012 9:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Antipop, I'm level 53 and I'm running into the same problems unfortunately. I've been dying in one hit to some rare mobs. We have no good single target attack that doesn't drain our mana reserves very quickly. Our chance to survive is also low, since our pets suck. The wizard however gets Force armor that makes it impossible to get one hit by reducing damage to 35% of their health at most.

If they stack health regen it's theoretically impossible to kill them after 54. The best we have is horrify with a short armor boost or spirit walk. Maybe I'm not stacking vitality enough, but it's frustrating to die in one hit due to a delayed animation attack. Wizards also do more DPS than we can ever do and have plenty of CC with that slow time bubble.
Reply Quote
Antipop, I'm level 53 and I'm running into the same problems unfortunately. I've been dying in one hit to some rare mobs. We have no good single target attack that doesn't drain our mana reserves very quickly. Our chance to survive is also low, since our pets suck. The wizard however gets Force armor that makes it impossible to get one hit by reducing damage to 35% of their health at most.

If they stack health regen it's theoretically impossible to kill them after 54. The best we have is horrify with a short armor boost or spirit walk. Maybe I'm not stacking vitality enough, but it's frustrating to die in one hit due to a delayed animation attack. Wizards also do more DPS than we can ever do and have plenty of CC with that slow time bubble.

Wizards don't exactly have more DPS then us, its just that our max DPS potential uses so much mana we can't do it again for the next pack.
Reply Quote

1) You need vitality
2) Poison dart
3) Don't use a pet then use a survivability spell
4) Only takes 3 hits for them to die
5) Hmmm our CC. Hex, Giant Toad, Wall of zombies, grasp of the dead, horrify, mass confusion, numbing dart. - 7 CC spells, i dunno what more you want...
Edited by Warfarin#1516 on 5/19/2012 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sound like the OP doesnt understand how the abilities work or how configure passives and gear.
Reply Quote
The class does not need changes because you can't play it correctly. No easy button or FOM builds for you to lean on. Maybe not your game?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]