Diablo® III

Terrible Class

86 Blood Elf Priest
I understand the wizard is supposed to be a hard class to play, but it just seems as if its absolutely nothing taking fights that should take 5 minutes and kiting up a storm turning it into a 30 minute fight.

Ive played my wizard to level 35, constantly turning back to the forums reading what all of you are saying. I see a lot of "Pro" players that dont really contribute anything except "wizards are hard, youre just bad. Bad wizard is bad." I'd like to go ahead and state that if you want to post something of such, you can go to someone elses thread.

Im having the hardest time actually getting anything done with this class. I've spent more gold on repairs than i have spent training my blacksmithing to level 6. I tried the high HP route, then i tried the high intel route, and shortly after neither of those worked, i went to a mixed amount of both. Nothing seems to make me last any longer.

I look over and watch my buddies playing, ones a monk, ones a demon hunter and one is a barb. They have NO problems at all... sometimes it takes the monk a little kiting.. the demon hunter a little kiting and potions... and the barb a little extra time to kill things... but all i do is die. Anyone able to help? end of act one getting my !@# kicked. (nightmare)
Reply Quote
You spelled "player" wrong in the title of the post.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I'm one act ahead of you right now and I'm still facerolling things and barely bothering to kite. I don't think I've died since the Diablo fight in normal.

I have a feeling you're doing something terribly wrong and putting out crap damage. Post your gear and skills so we can fix you up.
Reply Quote
try veno hydra and u will be the king of kiting in boss combat :)

i use magic missile for primary and arcane orb for secondary.For skills i use dimond skin, veno hydra, magic weapon and mirror image. hydra is awsome cause u can kill all the creeps without going into the room lol. dimond skin and mirror image can save ur life.
Reply Quote
No class struggles at 35 if they're building/itemizing appropriately. Even at hell/inferno difficulty, wizards are performing well. I've had no problems with the class, currently level 54 act II Hell.

Itemize int/vitality, for the love of god, do not ignore vitality.

Use more defensive spells, research builds on the forums. I actually played melee wizard through nightmare and ended up carrying my group.

I don't know your build, but if you're doing some stupid glass cannon garbage, stop it. Tanky dps specs will do much more for you.
Reply Quote
Also for all those "Pro" Players the game has been out since tuesday there are no "Pro" players =P Everyone has alot to learn no matter how skilled you think you are.

Edit: Although he is right there are a ton of people who act like they have been playing the game for ages. I especialy see tons of builds being thrown up I can tell have never even been tried in hell or inferno. You are not an expert overnight no matter how many numbers you can crunch.
Edited by Vipic#1593 on 5/19/2012 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
blizzard/disintegrate.. rinse and repeat
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Use defensive abilities a lot. Having offense bound to every key is a death sentence.
Reply Quote
I think by 'Pro' he meant Pro and Contra :)

I think you def need to list your stats so we can take a look at where you are at. I won't say it's easy but I always have a blast playing Wizard. Always remember that it is a 'ranged' class unless you go totally brutal on Vitality and end up with some hellacious gear. Being such, charging into the middle of everything is a nono :) Remember that your shift key is your friend. You see something at the edge of the screen, hit that shift key and send out some ranged attacks. Definitely use on of the defensive armors and keep an eye out for when its running out at all times. I see a lot of folks going for Diamond skin but it runs out too fast for me. I prefer ice. Usually freezes the attackers at least once apiece and gives you some time/room if you need it. Movement is key as well. Don't always stand in one place. They shoot ranged as well. You're level 35, or more, so not a noob, but I just thought I would mention some of the basics.

As I said at the start, and a lot of other folks as well, if you list your stats and equip we might be able to help you build it out a bit. If the build is ok, then maybe its just your style of play.
Reply Quote
47 Human Rogue
Skills:

1: Mirror Image
2:Teleport
3:Energy Armor
4:Magic Weapon

Left Click: One of the 4 signiture, I like magic missle
Right Click: Arcane Orb, Obliterate

Weapon: 2H with highest DPS, maybe some int and a socket.
Socket: Highest ruby you can afford.

Misc other sockets:
Rings: +VIT
Chest: + INT
Legs+INT
Necklace : INT/VIT

Basically look for gear with +dmg, +vit, +int, and a form of life leech. You should be golden.

This is my current build and it is treating me pretty well :)
Edited by Xaighen#1945 on 5/19/2012 11:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Skills:

1: Mirror Image
2:Teleport
3:Energy Armor
4:Magic Weapon

Left Click: One of the 4 signiture, I like magic missle
Right Click: Arcane Orb, Obliterate

Weapon: 2H with highest DPS, maybe some int and a socket.
Socket: Highest ruby you can afford.

Misc other sockets:
Rings: +VIT
Chest: + INT
Legs+INT
Necklace : INT/VIT

Basically look for gear with +dmg, +vit, +int, and a form of life leech. You should be golden.

This is my current build and it is treating me pretty well :)

I think that everyone has offered good advice. To the above post I would only say that if you chose mirror image or teleport, a slot could be opened for a utility spell that may also do damage. Frost Nova can be great for its freeze effect, which will give you time to do damage or run, force push with the stun rune would do the same. Or blizzard can offer you damage and a movement slow for running away. Secondly I've found damage+ rings and amulets are much more affective at increasing killing power, especially if that ring or amulet has a socket. It can then be socketed for vitality or intelligence.

To the original poster I will echo what another person said, use both vitality and intelligence. Not just a for example a helm with +int and armor with +vit and pants with +int and so on. Get items that have both. At your level they are accessible. And most importantly you technically do not have to sacrifice one for the other. When an item rolls for it's magic effects, how large one effect rolls does not limit the others to lower values.

For example a chest armor that has 2 magic properties "rolls" to decide its properties. If the first is intelligence and rolls a +43, and the second property is a vitality it could still roll a number the within it's full range of +vitality for that item level. So get items with both. Currently I have more vitality than my barbarian friend of the same level but still have high intelligence.
Reply Quote
Dude, my Sorc owns and i'm only lvl 12. For real, the game is almost boring, I put out too much damage. I love this game! The destructible !@#$? Customization? randomization?! I'm HOOKED! Seriously, props to blizzard. I can't wait until pvp and the currency market is fully functional! Oh but yeah, dude, you probably aren't putting out damage or casting your spells, or maybe you have a crappy comp :/
Reply Quote
stop putting money into the blacksmith and search around for good low cost items on the auction house, it's amazing the difference a couple of items can make. I dropped 12000 gold on a staff yesterday that upped my dps from 1000 to 1800 and increased my life by just shy of 2000, havent looked back, up to act 3 nm now and not having any real issues.
Reply Quote
Dear OP:

You do realize the world first Inferno solo was done by a Wizard right? Just sayin...

Tis' a poor workman that blames his tools...

Edit: Given that you've actually asked for some constructive tips, this is what has worked well in my experience:

1) Hit up the AH and buy a rare 2H wep (try to avoid bows, I know they're cheap but the damage range is way too wide to have reliability with your nukes) with sockets, tons of intelligence and critical chance increase (NOT crit damage) as you can afford. I try to not spend more than 5-8k when leveling (I would be earning 2x to 4x that much by the time I outlevel the wep and need to upgrade so fair enough).

2) Purchase rare Amulets, rings with bonus damage on them, and intelligence. They don't have to be super expensive...I've seen stuff for 2-3k on there.

3) Spell choice. Arcane Orb is our best nuke (even though Disintegrate is muy flashy). In higher difficulties, Arcane Orb is fire & forget and allows you to kite bosses effectively. Disintegrate and other channeled spells force you to stay still, which is suicidal in Hell or higher.

4) Use Hydra. Seriously. ALL the time. This is one of our best spells in harder difficulties.

5) Be proactive about defense. I strongly recommend using Teleport (with Fracture rune) + Mirror Image (with the extra decoys rune) along with Diamond Skin and the passive which resets their cooldown when you get hit for 15% damage. This might be a bit of overkill and once you're comfortable you can skip the passive and Teleport too. Smartly using these skills BEFORE you actually eat damage will keep you alive. It's no use having some of the best defensive skills in the game if you eat damage and THEN pop your defensive skills and complain that you have no survivability.

6) Don't bother with crafting gear at the BS. The mat costs and crafting costs are so expensive...and most items have !@#$ stats because its all RNG based. Seriously...just buy stuff on the AH, there's tons of extremely well itemized, socketed rares going for piddling amounts.
Edited by Atterana#1327 on 5/20/2012 2:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UkXROg!Xfe!bZaccZ

This is what I'm used all through act IV Hell and what's keeping me going through act 1 Inferno. Not soloing though, playing with a WD and Monk that helps out a ton.

Siindri is absolutely right though, stop pumping the blacksmith up, save some cash and buy yourself a nice neat 2hander on the AH, you won't regret it.
Reply Quote
I don't think wiz is that hard
This is my first time playing diablo-series, and I chose wizard because I thought that long range magic would be cool, in addition with playing with my friend's monk

I'm now in Hell mode act 1 and at this point I've died only 3 more times than my friend's monk (overall death would be like 6 - 8 till this point)
In a 4 man party with several of my other friends, we both are the ones who keep surviving and killing the mobs (the others are another monk and dh)

I dunno how can you get killed easily, just stack up vits, use diamond armor, and add another escape spell like frost nova or that jumping blast
Edited by Syphrion#1151 on 5/20/2012 2:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Where's the OP?

I don't think Wiz is hard, you just need to realize that it is not designed to be a bloody tank. :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
The biggest mistake you can make in this game is upgrading the Blacksmith instead of buying gear from the AH. Crafted gear is all RNG, you're much more likely to get a useless Gathering/Thorns item than you are a decent Int/Vit item.

I prefer to use this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#acXSRY!aXT!aaaZbZ

Arcane Orb is your best nuke. Hits hard, allows you to kite, etc. I prefer Magic Missile for my secondary nuke, but you can use any of the secondaries really. Shock Pulse(Piercing Orb) is good too.

Magic Weapon is self-explanatory. It's a huge damage increase.

Venom Hydra is hands down the best Wizard spell available. There's no reason whatsoever to not use it. It does CRAZY damage and allows you to kite while it kills things for you.

A lot of people seem to like Teleport and Mirror Images for defensive abilities, but I really prefer the reliability of Diamond Skin (mandatory imo) and Frost Nova.
Reply Quote
I've been going for pure damage. The health just seems to come as a side effect. Don't build health, Wizards aren't supposed to be some high HP entity. Build your damage. What's your DPS at?

I'm new to the Diablo realm, but I've picked up quickly that DPS will make or break your wizard. With Diamond Skin, Wave of Force, and Arcane Orb most crap doesn't hit me. Kiting is necessary for big mobs, but often it's short lived as most things drop quickly. Seriously you'll be one shotting or two shotting most everything. That's fun too me.

Saying this is the worst class is stupid. You state that people shouldn't say bad wizard is bad, but yet you call out the class? Work on your build. Many wizards play fine.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Priest
I havent been doing nearly as bad as i progress through nightmare, for some odd reason i think my issue has mostly been just the initial normal mode VS bad gear. Ill still list skills because i can always improve.
1:Diamond Skin - With mirror skin (Im really tired of using this..)
2:Hydra - Arcane Hydra
3:Energy Armor - Absorption
4:Archon
LMB: Just recently switched to spectral blade - deep cuts because i havent been dying
RMB:Disintegrate - chaos nexus
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]