Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

if u install the game to a usb or sd card, then u run it from their correct?

also, for those with nvidia, what settings should i have all the 3d settings? maybe i have something wrong their
Edited by Error37#1221 on 5/25/2012 4:31 PM PDT
Guys, It Is Very simples To make this fix, just follows these 3 steps.

Enjoy!

1) I send all arquives from MPQ folder to pen drive, except cutscene.mpq

I created inside pen drive one folder called 'MQPS' and paste all arquives

2) after i changed name of original folder from MQPS to 'mpqs_original'

3) At cmd i typed ( need to start cmd in administrarion mode ):

>mklink /J "c:\.....\diablo3\pc\mpqs" "g:\mpqs"
>enter

>mklink "g:\mpqs\cutscene.mpq" "c:\.....\diablo3\pc\mpqs_original\cutscene.mpq"

Ps. g: its my pen drive (8gb)

If u have a 16gb pen drive, JUST INSTALL GAME INSIDE HIM AND PLAY

VERY SIMPLE
Edited by gttbr#1676 on 5/25/2012 4:33 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
Why the hell is this working? 10MBs read/write rates is slow as molasses. An average 7,200 RPM HDD will get you 100mbs of transfer rate. My is 7.2k RPM and 2 years old, yet even then has a 32MB cache with up to 300MBs max transfer rates. And this is no VelociRaptor; just a simpleton's Hitatchi 1TB drive.

It's ridiculous that programming can be so bad that even running a storage device off a USB connection is better than running it from the Hard Disk itself.

I wonder if the MPQ archiving has ever been updated since Mike created it so long ago. Back in the day, Blizzard had an entire QA division dedicated to testing hard ware compatibility with the games. That was back when MPQs were new, and your average drive was 3,200 RPM if you were rich. I don't get the impression they try that hard anymore and I wonder if the MPQ archiving has ever been updated to match current hard ware performance and uses.
05/25/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Emania
Why the hell is this working? 10MBs read/write rates is slow as molasses. An average 7,200 RPM HDD will get you 100mbs of transfer rate. My is 7.2k RPM and 2 years old, yet even then has a 32MB cache with up to 300MBs max transfer rates. And this is no VelociRaptor; just a simpleton's Hitatchi 1TB drive.

Transfer rates (MB/s) is not the problem here. The problem is "read response time"; the time required to get physical access. When windows and other background running programs are competing to access your mechanical drive, everyone has to wait their turn. Flash drives have much better read response times than mechanical drives, and most importantly no other program has access to the flash drive than your game. That is why flash drives (with lower transfer rates) give you better results (no stutter).

I don't know if I can explain this any better. I pretty much hammered it down throughout all my posts.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 5/25/2012 4:56 PM PDT
I have cleaned up the original post, and made it much easier to read and follow.
Does the installer support installing the game to USB sticks ? It would be much easier to do that if someone wants to reinstall the game.

You could also move the entire install to a usb stick then only change 2 registry entries, 1 for actual uninstall and the other for Windows Game directory.

The blizzard registry entry doesn't even point or need installation directories anymore, the launcher handles registry edit and sets everything according where it's ran from. So technically you could run the game from usb stick on any computer :D
i installed mine to sd card with their installer, took longer than to hard drive though.

so now since all of my game is on sdcard, i can't start the game from my desktop now? i have to go into sdcard and start game?
Just make a shortcut of "Diablo III Launcher.exe" from USB to desktop. I believe if the usb is in, the shortcut would have the icon, if not, the icon would be missing, a crude way to know if the usb is connected or not :D Make sure that the usb/sd is not write protected (some have switches on them)
Edited by Catscratch#2964 on 5/25/2012 5:13 PM PDT
100 Orc Shaman
I find it hilarious that we have to resort to this type of solution, when Blizzard could have simply implemented something called a "load screen," where the game is actually, you know, "loaded." BF3 has that, and it runs great on my machine. Diablo 3? Not so much.

So much for Blizzard being a company that cares about compatibility with a range of systems.
Edited by Ramses#1680 on 5/25/2012 5:17 PM PDT
i would much rather sit for a min or 2 on a load screen than mess with this bull crap lol is it to late for them to do that now in a patch? :(
100 Orc Shaman
05/25/2012 05:20 PMPosted by Error37
i would much rather sit for a min or 2 on a load screen than mess with this bull crap lol is it to late for them to do that now in a patch? :(

If Blizzard can't retroactively add in a "load at load screen" feature, then they fail hardcore at designing the game engine. At the bare minimum, they should have a list of assets in each zone, and be able to load them in the background before they are needed. This could still be done w/o a load screen and eliminate the problem.

The issue is that the game seems to be waiting until literally the last possible moment to load the asset, which locks the game up until the asset is read from the mpq. Seems like bad design to me, but who knows why it's coded that way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukY2L8PpSM

This is exactly what I see. Have tried a few of the non moving mpq fixes and nothing seems to work. Borrowing a usb 2.0 flash drive from a buddy today and going to try the linking folders fix.

I get bad screen tearing so I have to set vsync in game, and I sit at 59-60 fps at most times, until someone is about to talk or I cast a new spell / etc. I thought it was lag for the first week or so until I was in town running circles and noticed it happened eveyr exactly before companion/towns people spoke. If I run around in a certain area for long enough, the stutter does seem to lessen, until my companion speaks.

It really has to be something to do with the on demand asset loading. Nothing else makes sense honestly. I really don't think any amount of tweaking gpu settings is going to fix my issue, as I get the straight stutter, the 8-10 seconds between stutters performance is fine.

WTB button to turn on loading screens. I like the idea that getting into levels/dungeons etc is instant, but I would take a loading screen over the stutter any day.

Like others, I play plenty of modern games at mid-high settings, and have no serious issues. I get fps drops when things get crazy, but I don't expect perfect performance with my rig being a bit older.

Thanks for all your work on this guys, hopefully support is keeping quiet while working on a fix and just not being open about the issue. I love the game, so much fun, but the stutter takes me out of the game and back to reality.

Specs in case it matters:
win 7 64 bit
phenon ii x4 955 be
4gb ddr3 1600
10k raptor drive
gtx 260
Edited by Imperial#1898 on 5/25/2012 5:32 PM PDT
The stuttering seems to have gone! What I did was move my pagefile.sys from C: drive to D: drive (Which is just a partition of C: where I store stuff) and I restarted my computer and the stuttering is gone!

I've played for only about 20 minutes so far so it MIGHT come back, but for now it's gone! Yay!

EDIT: .................. Never mind, it's back. I !@#$ing hate this bull%^-*.
Edited by CityOfNoir#1212 on 5/25/2012 6:01 PM PDT
05/25/2012 05:49 PMPosted by CityOfNoir
What I did was move my pagefile.sys from C: drive to D: drive (Which is just a partition of C: where I store stuff)

If it is is the same physical drive, there is a big chance it will still stutter. Please follow the original post.
05/25/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Edstroyer
What I did was move my pagefile.sys from C: drive to D: drive (Which is just a partition of C: where I store stuff)

If it is is the same physical drive, there is a big chance it will still stutter. Please follow the original post.

Alrighty, will give that a try.
worked for me too.. still have minor fps issues but the stutter is gone. thanks
I've gotta say that the RAMdisk workaround actually works for me. I'm astounded. I've had this issue since beta with no fix in sight.

There's still a little stuttering when walking around but it's reduced by 90%. There's absolutely no stuttering when using a spell or ability for the first time in a session. It's lovely.

I only have 8 GB of RAM so that might explain why it doesn't entirely fix the issue. And this is certainly not a permanent solution. But maybe Blizzard can figure it out now.
Support Forum Agent
Very clever workaround! Most impressive. :)

I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. At this time I can't promise which upcoming patch the fix will make it into, so please don't despair if a patch rolls out and the issue continues. We'll develop the fix, get it tested, and put it into a patch as quickly as we safely can.

I mention the "testing" part because as we've learned in the past, nothing is worse than rushing a fix that breaks something even worse in the process. If any of you are longtime WoW players you might recall an old PTR patch for Burning Crusade where we fixed the special attack of a monster in the Barrens. The reason that fix was memorable is that the same code change also broke the biggest boss fight (Illidan) that was in the game at the time! It's an extreme example, but it highlights why we have to thoroughly test our fixes before we push them to your computers. It's a good thing! ^_^

We absolutely hate it when people can't play our games properly, and we're doing our best to slay this particular dragon as quickly as can. Thank you again, and happy demon hunting to all.
Kaltonis, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kaltonis:
1) Who is affected by this? What's the common factor?
2) While you're slaying dragons, maybe you can tell me why the latency issue has received zero public information, yet all your support reps are very aware of the issue and are themselves experiencing it?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]