Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

I've got a question, I do have a 1,5TB external hard drive, If I just copy the entire game into it will it solve the problem?
I allrdy started using game booster and twiked my graphic card profile for D3 experiencing a HUGE FPS stability. And right now I'm just experiencing something like if the teamfight was somehow in slowmotion xD after creeps dead slowmotion ends.

I ask that cuz I find it easier to simply copy full diablo folder to that external hard drive and just run it from there.

PD: If that would work should I copy the folder straight or reinstall it there?
05/25/2012 09:49 PMPosted by Edstroyer
I will happily wait for the patch that fixes it as long as I know its being worked on and our concerns aren't overlooked.

So you wont play the game until the patch comes out?

"An ally has left your party. Diablo's minion's weaken" - dammit

Why would I do that? It's playable, although the stuttering when assets load is very irritating.
This thread saved my sanity. I get about 30 FPS running off a 250g external hard-drive, but it is a GLORIOUSLY STUTTER FREE 30 FPS! I was ready to give up before finding this thread. Thank you.
All I can say is: SSD ftw.

Practically no load times anywhere.
Very clever workaround! Most impressive. :)

I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. At this time I can't promise which upcoming patch the fix will make it into, so please don't despair if a patch rolls out and the issue continues. We'll develop the fix, get it tested, and put it into a patch as quickly as we safely can.

I mention the "testing" part because as we've learned in the past, nothing is worse than rushing a fix that breaks something even worse in the process. If any of you are longtime WoW players you might recall an old PTR patch for Burning Crusade where we fixed the special attack of a monster in the Barrens. The reason that fix was memorable is that the same code change also broke the biggest boss fight (Illidan) that was in the game at the time! It's an extreme example, but it highlights why we have to thoroughly test our fixes before we push them to your computers. It's a good thing! ^_^

We absolutely hate it when people can't play our games properly, and we're doing our best to slay this particular dragon as quickly as can. Thank you again, and happy demon hunting to all.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Seriously, I feel great that at least something has been recognised after so many threads.

One issue recognised, around three more to go.
How can it be related to HD access time? My hard disk is a solid state raid0 array with .05ms random access time and 750Mb/sec read time.

I guess it's something in the way the game is loading the assets, but almost like there is some kind of unnecessary latency in the process somewhere.
It tells me, mklink, is not a valid command external or internal WTF?

using windows XP btw
seriously? we have to wait for a patch that *MAY* not be the next one? why not make it a priority? pretty major bug imo, makes the game UNPLAYABLE

I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. At this time I can't promise which upcoming patch the fix will make it into, so please don't despair if a patch rolls out and the issue continues. We'll develop the fix, get it tested, and put it into a patch as quickly as we safely can.

I mention the "testing" part because as we've learned in the past, nothing is worse than rushing a fix that breaks something even worse in the process. If any of you are longtime WoW players you might recall an old PTR patch for Burning Crusade where we fixed the special attack of a monster in the Barrens. The reason that fix was memorable is that the same code change also broke the biggest boss fight (Illidan) that was in the game at the time! It's an extreme example, but it highlights why we have to thoroughly test our fixes before we push them to your computers. It's a good thing! ^_^

We absolutely hate it when people can't play our games properly, and we're doing our best to slay this particular dragon as quickly as can. Thank you again, and happy demon hunting to all.

Yes!!! my hero!
another question, i just got my sd card yesterday right. well am i suppose to format it or anything?

also when i tried to play today now its saying can't launch because a critial file is missing, so i dunno what happend overnight, but i unistalled and guess when i get back home gonna reinstall on the sdcard LOL but just curious if i need to format the sd card?
also it asks for allocation unit size, 4096bytes up to 64kb, does it matter which i choose? when it first pops open it auto puts on 32kbs, and do i leave quick format checked?
Edited by Error37#1221 on 5/26/2012 8:39 AM PDT
I was seriously going to call to get a refund if I didn't read this thread.

THANKS OP.

EDIT : I TESTED AND WORKED. OP, MY SAVIOR. YOU DELIVERED.
Edited by Pyrodynamics#1423 on 5/26/2012 8:36 AM PDT

This means that with an SSD the game will run even faster and smoother. Sweet.
Edited by Inka#1944 on 5/26/2012 8:34 AM PDT
Thank You Kaltonis for your response, I am glad to hear that a fix is being worked on.

You responded just in time, I really like Diablo III so far but the stuttering issue cause by read rates has been driving me crazy. I've spent more time trying to fix it with a workaround than actually playing the game. I was planning on calling today and requesting a refund because it seemed we were all getting ignored.

I'm glad to here its being worked on and am looking forward to a patch.
Has anyone confirmed this working on mac OS?
I just had to "like" your post. This solved the stuttering problem. I always thought it was a video card issue...
05/26/2012 09:08 AMPosted by city
Has anyone confirmed this working on mac OS?

Everything in this solution is for windows, so my best guess is "no".

Is there an app on MAC that allows you to monitor HDD read response times like "Resource Monitor" in Windows ? ...if yes, then you can start from there.

Otherwise, you can just try installing the game on an external flash drive.
I basically have the same question. I have this game on SSD also, page filing on both my HDD and SSD, so how is swapping the MPQ's to another "flash drive" going to help me?

It's an honest question and not a troll response -- I really want to know why it works for so many people.

*I meant to quote someone here, but I forgot to do it. My bad! :P
Edited by OlympianX#1534 on 5/26/2012 11:19 AM PDT
Support Forum Agent
seriously? we have to wait for a patch that *MAY* not be the next one? why not make it a priority? pretty major bug imo, makes the game UNPLAYABLE

While I'm not allowed to discuss specific patch dates (because everything is subject to change) it wouldn't be shocking for the first patch to be extremely soon. In this case, a little too soon for this stutter fix to be properly developed and tested. Our internal patching plans for Diablo III are very aggressive as we're working on addressing all manner of technical and gameplay issues that we recognize we can help with.

Keep in mind, nearly everyone at Blizzard is playing Diablo III right along with you (when we can squeeze in an hour or three) so we're acutely aware of the more pressing issues. If we've failed to communicate our awareness of those issues properly, I definitely apologize for that. For my own part, I'll try to maintain a stronger forum presence.
View profile
Kaltonis, so is this fix going to be identical to us just using usb flash drives ? The reason I ask is because even though the stuter is like 90 percent gone when using it, it still stutters a little bit. Someone else also mentioned that the vsync in the game is messed up or something. Are there any other issues with the game coding that are planned for fixing as well or is this pretty much it? How will this fix work exactly? And how will it affect people who are already playing the game already just fine? im just curious to find out more info about it I guess.
Edited by darkslayer#1527 on 5/26/2012 1:20 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]