Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

So I copied the entire D3 folder to my usb. when i play the game off of my hard drive, i get microstutters where the fps drops from 120 to single digits, but when i play off of the usb, instead of small stutters every few seconds i get huge fps spikes every 30 seconds or so. anyone know how to fix this or is it not possible to fix until blizzard patches it?
My guess is the micro-stutter is due to latency issues with their servers constantly adjusting your char position back and forth as you are running around. It's like constant lag on a small scale. It explains why mobs can magically reach out and "touch" me with there melee attacks from "8 yards" away.

Copying the whole D3 folder onto a ramdrive and running it form there made a HUGE difference in the loading issues I have been having. Much more enjoyable now.

As far as Blizzard being able to fix it: they can. It doesn't take in incredible leap of logic to know that "hey, we might want to program the game load the animations for the 6 abilities on his action bar!" or maybe even animations/textures for the whopping 5 mobs types for the zone he's in! oh wait... nvm, that would require intelligence and the ability to make simple intuitive leaps. It's right up there with "barbarians and monks take 30% less damage" but, btw, they also take all of the hits. But remember: it's always balanced and working as intended. Maybe they just forgot to put the SSD requirement on the box.
05/28/2012 12:03 PMPosted by Edstroyer
Is there a way to do this with multiple flash drives(since I have multiple flash drives both under 16gb and under that 7.7gb needed)?

yes there is a way by individually mklink'ing individual files. If you know what your doing, this shouldn't be hard. Otherwise, it would take too long to explain the process step by step.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I don't know what I'm doing.... I'm just a cat walking on random keys on this computer!
Is there a difference in performance between copying game files to USB drive and installing them to USB drive? As far as I know, like WoW, D3 is a standalone game, therefore, theoretically, there shouldn't be any differences. But is that really so?
05/29/2012 02:35 AMPosted by zhee
Is there a difference in performance between copying game files to USB drive and installing them to USB drive? As far as I know, like WoW, D3 is a standalone game, therefore, theoretically, there shouldn't be any differences. But is that really so?

Trial and error is your friend. Embrace experimentation, learn, and then teach others.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 5/29/2012 9:49 AM PDT
Getting 16GB drive today. Will try both ways and then post results.
81 Gnome Warlock
RAID 0 Vertex 3 SSDs clockin in at 1GPS read and write will fix the problem too! trololoolololo
Only lag i get is server lag. I have a 6 year old pc on Win xp , the game itself runs amazing for my pc specs. My HD does not constantly run wild when playing the game. Not sure what so many of you are experiencing. . i can pop in and out of levels and back and forth in split second and change servers whatever, Not a problem. Ping as of late is another thing though.
A quick guess, possibly turn off your anti virus when playing, could be it's scanning the files when they are being read.
Seriously? I just plugged in my Seagate drive, following instructions and finally I can enjoy stable frame rate around 40fps even in a 4 player's group Act III and going back to 1920*1080?
We suffered during weeks and finally USB saved the world.

Thanks for your work Edstroyer. Really.
This USB Drive is enough? Please respond so i decide to buy or not...

http://www.nuevas-tecnologias.com.ar/memorias/memorias-sd-y-pen-drives?product_id=252
Did the same by creating a virtual Ramdrive with 8gig (16 total) and moving my mpq's to said drive. Difference is major. Almost no stuttering.
Problem is easy fixed , I upgraded my gfx card.6870 to a 7870 which didn't work, so I simply got a ssd hard drive copied the game over and magic, no stutter, perfect game play
Edited by Cykronis#1804 on 5/29/2012 6:11 AM PDT
Nice work around!
We shouldn't have to go out and buy a USB drive and do all this just to get the game working smoother. I'll wait on the patch. If the patch does nothing, then maybe, but I'm just going to wait.
tried it on my WD 500GB and voila...my usual sudden fps drop (about 10sec) is gone!!
what kind of magic is this?! thanks to OP!! blue should pay attention into this IMO.
Copied game files on 16GB USB drive (Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2).

There's practically no difference between launching the whole game from USB, or just linking MPQs from USB. Anyway, both made a huge impact on my MBP 13" 2010 (running W7 on Bootcamp). Running with stable 30-45 FPS.

Textures: Low, Shadows: Off, Physics: Low, Clutters: Off, AA: on, Low FX: off. No Vsync.

All the major-stuttering is gone (still shows up on huge mobe packs tho). Micro stutter is still there, but reduced signifficantly.

If you don't have the game installed on your computer, but just the USB drive, you should make a shortcut with -launch at the end of Target field. Otherwise, launcher just sits at Initializing.

-----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
Installing game on USB or just copying the files to USB - no difference.

-----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE2:
Tried on PC.
Q6600 OC'd to 3.0GHz
2GB 800MHz RAM
8800GT 512MB
2x 1TB 7.2k RPM HDDs in RAID1

Solved major stuttering a bit, but not that noticable as on laptop.

EDIT: It actually solved major stutters on PC more than a bit aswell. Another thing that was causing them was Asus SmartDoctor and GamerOSD. Everything goes much smoother after those are gone.
Edited by zhee#1649 on 5/30/2012 2:40 AM PDT
Copied game files on 16GB USB drive (Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2).

There's practically no difference between launching the whole game from USB, or just linking MPQs from USB. Anyway, both made a huge impact on my MBP 13" 2010 (running W7 on Bootcamp). Running with stable 30-45 FPS.

Textures: Low, Shadows: Off, Physics: Low, Clutters: Off, AA: on, Low FX: off. No Vsync.

All the major-stuttering is gone (still shows up on huge mobe packs tho). Micro stutter is still there, but reduced signifficantly.

If you don't have the game installed on your computer, but just the USB drive, you should make a shortcut with -launch at the end of Target field. Otherwise, launcher just sits at Initializing.

I'll try to install the game on usb flash now and see how it goes.

Ok, but WTF why you put all Settings in LOW? you should try all on HIGH if the problem was the HDD...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]