Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

MPQs transfer rate to the SD card is roughly 5x faster than the transfer to the thumb drive it appears....
Final verdict: This "fix" help quite a bit, my load times and micro stutter are much better, and the freeze seems to be down quite a bit as well. However, it isn't perfect, my animations still lock up for a second here and there. Still annoyed, but overall this was worth it. Thanks!
bump so I can find later
little program for creating symlinks here
http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

and also if you have a large thumb drive, why not just copy the entire game over?
Edited by Legion#2270 on 5/21/2012 2:53 AM PDT
This worked for me. There is a tiny stutter every now and then, but nothing game breaking. Also, down know if anyone else is experiencing a memory leak, but mine is still present with this fix.

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Athlon II X4 630
ATI Radeon HD 6950
6 GB RAM
I tried this with a 16GB Kingston USB 2.0 Drive and it fixed 85-90% of my stutter issues. There are still some hiccups from time to time, but they have to be latency related

Thank you !!!
Glad to hear this solution has helped quite some people.

If you want to know your HDD read response time for Diablo related files, you can find out by using "Resource Monitor" which comes with Windows 7 under "Accessories>System Tools", or you can just type "res" in windows start menu. Ofcourse, the game has to be running in windowed mode, to be able to see both windows at the same time.

You can also use "Resource Monitor" after you solve this problem to see what read response your particular USB flash drive (or SD card) is giving you. My SD card fits perfectly into my laptop and does not hang out like a USB flash drive.

By the way, my SD card read response time for files inside the "MPQs" folder were about 5ms. I got this SD card (class 10) a while back to record videos on my digital camera, so I got the fastest one (class 10 =10MB/s). I imagine you can probably get similar (or better) results with USB 2.0 flash drive. It all depends whether you already have one (16GB), or need to buy one (USB or SD card).

If this solution has helped you, please post back here what you have used (USB or SD card) and post your previous and post response times from "Resource Monitor."

ENJOY DIABLO 3 !!!!!!!!
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 5/22/2012 9:50 PM PDT
Note that this seams to be a HDD read response problem, so it is a hardware issue. Also probably has to do with Windows allocating resources. It is true what others have said in the forums, the game does not use load screens, so everything is loaded in real-time (as it is needed), which requires constant "reads" from HDD.

DO NOT expect blizzard to have a fix for this any time soon, since they cannot control your hardware choice, or even windows operating system.

Also, some have said that this only works the first play. This has NOT been the case for me. I suspect they did not do step 4 correctly "mklink".

If you do have a large enough USB flash drive or SD card, you can probably copy the entire installation folder. To me, it seams like an over kill, and you will have to purchase a 16GB USB flash drive (or SD card). However, it might solve other "unseen" problems to me, such as choppy cinematics between ACTs.

Again, ENJOY DIABLO 3 !!!!
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 5/21/2012 9:50 AM PDT
I don't know what my response times were before trying your fix, but the highest I've witnessed so far with the USB flash device is 7ms ^^ I actually enjoy playing the game now

Thanks again!!
worked!!! I can finally play Diablo...haha I"m so relieved right now
little program for creating symlinks here
http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/

and also if you have a large thumb drive, why not just copy the entire game over?

I used this method, but Diablo III won't start anymore. The launcher launches it but it doesn't get past showing Diablos face. Did I do something wrong?
Note that this seams to be a HDD read response problem, so it is a hardware issue. Also probably has to do with Windows allocating resources. It is true what others have said in the forums, the game does not use load screens, so everything is loaded in real-time (as it is needed), which requires constant "reads" from HDD.

DO NOT expect blizzard to have a fix for this any time soon, since they cannot control your hardware choice, or even windows operating system.
!

Sorry, I completely disagree. I have an extremely fast HD as do many others with this problem. If they engineered their game so that many modern HDs cannot use it, they should state that on the box with minimu requirements. As for Blizzard probably ignoring this, that isn't a probably, they already are...

...sorry, but I have over 100 modern games on this computer that run flawlessly at full or near-full settings, if Diablo III requires a "solution" like this to work on a new and very common ASUS gaming laptop, it is broken.

In any case, I'll try this "fix". And thanks to everyone working on a work-around!
I have some other tips here as well: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/5149619611
Sounds great I'm going to pick up a 16gb SD card tomorrow.

I am curious though, how was i able to play the game perfectly for about 20 hours if this is what is causing my current stuttering issue?
I really would like another kind of fix =/

My problem is when using skills for the first time, it always stutter

my HD is a good one, but whatever
Edited by Incerto#1155 on 5/21/2012 8:16 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Rogue
I've never used flash drives or SD cards before, but I had been wondering if something like that might work and would be a great deal cheaper than an SSD. My only worry is that my motherboard is from 2008 and I don't think it's USB ports are very fast. Anyone know if using a flash or SD card is worth trying if you don't have USB 2 or better connections?
If you have stuttering problems but you don't know if its your HDD causing it, then you should check your read response times in "Resource Monitor" as described earlier. If your read response times are greater than 20ms, then this solution will help you.

For those running the game at ridiculously high FPS (60-100 FPS and over), note that "theoretically" any reads from HDD, even under 20ms read response times, will probably cause "some" micro stuttering (or FPS drops). I would say this is due to "no loading screens," that is, constant reads from HDD. This is actually normal, and a design side-effect for choosing no load screens.

I'm using a 4 years old laptop with 512MB video card, and I'm getting a 35 FPS (average). Still, the game is very playable, enjoyable (for me), and still looks pretty good. You have to keep in mind that your system will slow down around massive amounts of enemies, and it gets worse in cooperative play, such that network traffic will increase and if network latency is bad, then your game will inevitably slow down (this is normal for any online multiplayer game).

For everyone to know what "kind" of stuttering you are getting, please add your normal game-play avg FPS, then tell us how low the FPS drops to, and for how long. Press "CTRL+R" in the game to get FPS in top left corner of the screen.
A 2008 motherboard should definitely have USB 2.0.
you don't need to use any google-code for this solution. Just follow my first post.
85 Night Elf Rogue
Hmm, think 32MB/s read speed is fast enough? Assuming the data transfer is my problem anyway.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]