Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

@Eblan 32MB/s is a good transfer rate for a flash drive. However, it is the read response time (the delay before the transfer starts) that matters . Since the game is constantly fetching small amounts of data at a time, the response time becomes just as important as the transfer rate. You can find your response time in "Resource Monitor" in windows, or just type "res" in start menu. Just put the game in windowed mode and observe "Resource Monitor" > "Disk" > "Response Time" while you are moving your character around the screen and through different areas which normally stutters.
85 Human Paladin
I was extremely hesitant on dumping money into fixing this game when I don't have guarantee that the fix will work, and since I'm not the one getting paid to make and fix this video game it's not really my problem to devote much time and effort to (although I really want to play D3 with no stuttering, so I've been obsessing over fixes for the past week).

I was able to justify going out and purchasing a new 16 gb flash drive with a decent read speed (patriot xporter xt), to try out this fix, because if it doesn't work, I still get a nice flash drive. I used the resource monitor to view the read times of the MPQ file before I did anything, the read times weren't that bad (ranging from 10 ms to 60 ms with the rare hiccup of 600ms). Did everything the OP said and made the mklink over to my new flash drive and tried it out.

The stuttering doesn't disappear but it's much less obnoxious now. I checked the resource monitor and the read times are mostly under 10 ms with the rare hiccup of 260 ms. So basically I can confirm that this does indeed work with USB drives, and, yes it does seem to help.

Really wish fixes would do more than just help (like fix!). Also wish we heard a response from Blizz about this. Hell, if Blizz said that they are working on it and it should be fixed soon, I'd be completely chill doing other things while I wait for the patch.

My HDD is 7200 RPM so it's not slow either.
it s just like a pill
I had really really bad intermittent freezing in diablo3 did this with my 16gb HCSD card and now diablo3 runs flawlessly even on highest settings, thank you so much for this :3
I set up a 10gb partition on my c300 ssd and dumped the Diablo 3 folder in it (7.7gb) It DOES seem to run a little better, but still getting stutter for e.g. running around "Bastion's Keep Stronghold"
Edited by Darmok#2467 on 5/22/2012 2:25 PM PDT
I am confused at step 4, i installed the right files to the flash drive, and i copied and pasted "> cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"
> mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs" "D:\MPQs"" that onto the command prompt. Is that what you do?
^ I'm assuming its so that some people would be able to use 8GB flash drives since that file is just 7.2ish. The entire game is even larger.
I am confused at step 4, i installed the right files to the flash drive, and i copied and pasted "> cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"
> mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs" "D:\MPQs"" that onto the command prompt. Is that what you do?

run cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC" first then

mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs" "D:\MPQs"

So you paste the first thing, press enter. Then paste the second thing, press enter?
I read about this being a problem with the HDD being preoccupied with too much other stuff so that the content streaming wasn't happening at optimal speeds. I've uninstalled Diablo 3 and am now installing the full game to a 16gb flash drive and will post results when its done.

My problem was that I was getting 10-15 second intervals of 5FPS every 10 minutes or so. Nothing I did with my video card seemed to fix it. The game ran fine at 60FPS for the other 9 minutes 45 seconds, with no stutters or anything, but it would just randomly slow to a crawl. This had nothing to do with the amount of stuff on the screen. It could be solo, alone in town doing nothing, or it could be in a 4 player Hell game with effects everywhere.

So you paste the first thing, press enter. Then paste the second thing, press enter?

for those who are having trouble with symbolic links use this, its fast and easy
http://code.google.com/p/symlinker/
just be sure u rename your diablo folders mpq folder to something else first and then have the link folder be called MPQs

EDIT: make sure you do this in the correct directories.
Edited by Novah#2665 on 5/22/2012 3:38 PM PDT
I've set up a 10gb partition on my c300 ssd and dumped the Diablo 3 folder in it (7.7gb) It DOES seem to run a little better, but still getting stutter, but there is a way to reduce the stutter to almost 0%

"I have now tried everything, but the ram disk. I've tried installing it on a flash drive, gamebooster, FRAPS, and I still get the annoying stutter. Usually when I first start to play. Stay in an area long enough and it gets better. I want it smooth all the time. :/ This stream data when you need just isn't working for this game

.idd if you stay in an area long enough (when the zone changes wait about 2 mins) wahhh laaaaa!!!!! The stuttering is gone!

lol really blizzard???? someone please fix D3 because its broke.
Edited by Darmok#2467 on 5/22/2012 3:21 PM PDT
I've set up a 10gb partition on my c300 ssd and dumped the Diablo 3 folder in it (7.7gb) It DOES seem to run a little better, but still getting stutter, but there is a way to reduce the stutter to almost 0%

"I have now tried everything, but the ram disk. I've tried installing it on a flash drive, gamebooster, FRAPS, and I still get the annoying stutter. Usually when I first start to play. Stay in an area long enough and it gets better. I want it smooth all the time. :/ This stream data when you need just isn't working for this game

.idd if you stay in an area long enough (when the zone changes wait about 2 mins) wahhh laaaaa!!!!! The stuttering is gone!

lol really blizzard???? someone please fix D3 because its broke.

sounds like your game hasn't finished downloading
Alright so i did this and on step 4 in the command prompt im getting: "Local volumes are required to complete the operation". How do I make this work?
Edited by Ferrety93#1122 on 5/22/2012 5:17 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Rogue
How can I tell what the response time would be for a specific flash drive or SD card in order to know what to buy? The only thing I ever see listed on them is the read/write speeds.
Ok, nevermind, it definitely created the junction to my flash drive (because i can see the light on it flashing when i run the game) and literally has done nothing. Constant 15-20 fps and slow motion.
Worked like a charm. Went from unplayable @ minimum graphics and no sound to butter smooth.
Yeah, an 8gb USB drive isn't enough :( Short by 200mb.

It puzzles me though. How can a USB drive have faster read times than a SATA device? I would have thought it'd be a lot slower.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]