Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

Few questions

What happens if you remove the usb when playing?or before playing?

Can you unlink it again?
85 Night Elf Rogue
05/23/2012 04:27 PMPosted by Fugee
Hard drive access speed is not the problem. My flash drive is nowhere near as fast as my SATA drive and yet putting the MPQs folder on the flash drive does lessen the stutters.

The speed can have an impact, but what seems to have more impact is other processes reading and writing on the drive Diablo 3 is running off of. When I reinstalled Diablo 3 on my secondary drive (Which has no programs running off of it in the background) things improved a great deal and I can now play, though the stutter does still happen it's no longer game breaking for me.
90 Human Paladin
i bought a 60 gig solid state drive....cant even get the game to initialize. boooooo.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271780591
Moved the files over to my 1TB external HDD, will give it a go soon and post results :)

Didn't think the read speeds would be the factor here, but someone talking about the OS and other processes hammering the disk makes a lot of sense. Let's hope we're onto something!
A-data Superior S007 16 gb 30 mb read/8 mb write speed - will it work? Dont wanna burn my money again.
85 Night Elf Rogue
05/24/2012 03:21 AMPosted by AlexRussia
A-data Superior S007 16 gb 30 mb read/8 mb write speed - will it work? Dont wanna burn my money again.

Not sure, Edstroyer mentioned a utility to check a flash drive's response time but I don't know if any store would allow you to open it and test it and then return it if it were not up to par.
85 Night Elf Rogue
Moved the files over to my 1TB external HDD, will give it a go soon and post results :)

Didn't think the read speeds would be the factor here, but someone talking about the OS and other processes hammering the disk makes a lot of sense. Let's hope we're onto something!

If there are no other programs running in the background from that drive I would imagine the performance would improve if you're experiencing the same problem I have been.
At last!! Thank you for this solution!!

I have tried it for 5 min and it works very well.

What I did is since I don't have a 16gb usb, but I've got an 8gb usb stick, I just copied the 3 MPQs that are being read all the time, sounds, d3client and textures, and it works very well!

Still some minor stuttering some times but it's very playable now!!!

Thank you!!

I was going to do the RAM thing but I only have 6GB and it's very difficult to upgrade my laptop (I have to open the complete laptop)

EDIT:

Oh, no, I touched something and now I have stutterings again, although it's kinda playable.

I installed the new drivers and changed some settings although I don't know if that's what is causing the stutterings again

Well, I am in hell now, but not in the difficulty mode, because I can't play!!!!

EDIT2:

Ok, when I play alone it's playable but if I play with friends it stutters again, maybe it's a performance issue now? Or maybe the usb drive is too slow

At least I can play alone now. Before I couldn't

EDIT3:

After playing for a while fps drops again. It looks like it's over heating, but my laptop is new and I have put a book underneath so there is more air between where the heat is and the table.

I remember that before the laptop fan would go madly noisy and that's when I was able to play alright, but the fun doesn't go very loud any more :(

I have been looking for ways to force fan speed but I can't do it
Edited by gomi#2156 on 5/25/2012 8:05 AM PDT
At last!! Thank you for this solution!!

I have tried it for 5 min and it works very well.

What I did is since I don't have a 16gb usb, but I've got an 8gb usb stick, I just copied the 3 MPQs that are being read all the time, sounds, d3client and textures, and it works very well!

Still some minor stuttering some times but it's very playable now!!!

Thank you!!

And u do the others steps how? Can u tell me im doing it right now. Started coppiend the files Clientdata,Textures,Sound.
Edited by mo0ze#2407 on 5/24/2012 4:21 AM PDT

Not sure, Edstroyer mentioned a utility to check a flash drive's response time but I don't know if any store would allow you to open it and test it and then return it if it were not up to par.

Yeah, this is awful. I cant decide.
Any suggestion?
Edited by AlexRussia#2743 on 5/24/2012 4:42 AM PDT
Anyone know how to reverse the proccess cant start diablo atm. Beacouse i tried copieng 3 of the files and it didnt work just diablo 3 logo frozne ot decstop. Want to start it witout flash drive please tell me : (.
I repost here what I've done :

I put all *.mpq files "except enGB_Cutscene.mpq" (which should contain only ink style videos & co.) on a SanDisk 8Go USB 2.0 Key. I plugged the key directly on the motherboard by the back, it's probably better to avoid front plugs connected with a longer wire. I made the links with :
mklink "C:\...\Diablo III\...\MPQs\file.mpq" "E:\file.mpq"
For each independant mpq file, no /d or /j option.
Thanks to Edstroyer for the tutorial about this solution, I learnt new things :)
(Links can be removed directly in the MPQ folder like any shortcut)

Result : All major stutters caused by new monsters, sounds or effects are nearly gone, but the micro stuttering during stage scrolling still persist, it must be another problem, is it really the lag ? My connection is stable. The game is more playable, but it's far form perfect...

I ordered a SSD, not only for Diablo III of course (it would make the game a bit expensive), it will be good for all games, but the poor optimization of Diablo III has certainly affected my decision...

In more than 20 years of video game, I never had to use such drastic means to make a game playable. Clearly the biggest fail ever, Blizzard ! Re-code your game engine from the beginning...
Edited by Holger#2247 on 5/24/2012 5:17 AM PDT
@mo0ze If you followed the steps correctly, than you should still have the original "MPQs" folder we renamed to "MPQsORG". Before renaming it back to its original name "MPQs" make sure you delete the linked folder we created in step 4.

I guess, it all depends on what you did wrong. Try repeating the process, maybe you missed a step. Honestly, this solution doesn't get any more technically easier than this. The whole process is only 3 easy steps: 1) copy to flash 2) rename 3) mklink.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am currently running it on a RAID 0 array of three WD 7200rpm drives which should be more than enough but I am getting the 1-2 second stuttering too often when a sound loads or when you go to the edge of the map.

I've now followed your instructions and put the MPQ folder on my SSD drive which I didn't really want to do since I only use this for caching and for my Operating System. I'll let you know if this fixes my issue once the servers come back up.

Even if it does fix it though, I still think this is something Blizzard needs to patch since there's hundreds of posts on this forum of people using a range of different mid-high end PC's getting the same problem. Some are even running the game off SSDs so I'm not too optimistic that this will work for me.

Just out of curiousity, why are you running RAID 0?
@Holger That is basically what I did at first too. I individually mklink'ed 4 files in the "MPQs" folder, and the problem was significantly improved, but then I noticed that other files (in "MPQs" sub-folders) were being used at random times and were causing stutters, so I thought I would just mklink the entire "MPQs" folder and play "stutter-free". This would also be much easier for people to follow.
Got it to work, it is a lot more steady but the FPS is still just too low I am sure it is just my machine though. At least this makes it more playable.
Didnt made any difference for me. !@#$ this game really. I wont buy anything from blizzard. Crappy engines makers and money suckers.
Edited by AlexRussia#2743 on 5/24/2012 8:01 AM PDT
90 Undead Warlock
Thank you very much.

i was about to quit the game, i got major fps stutter, now all is gone, running smooth 60 fps.

This should be sticky.

Thank you!
Edited by Matarus#1709 on 5/24/2012 9:09 AM PDT
Alright, so I ran the resource monitor while playing D3 and took a couple screens.

I've been having major stuttering issues; the game locks up for ~3 seconds constantly.

Anyway, here's a screen where it has been running normally: http://i.imgur.com/X5q0n.png?1

here's after a stutter: http://i.imgur.com/QkN3D.png

and after a 3 second lockup, which was way more noticable: http://i.imgur.com/zefx0.png

this is definitely a hard drive speed problem for me then isn't it? My FPS is 60+ otherwise.

I'll go out and buy an SD card later today and let you know how that goes.

But...how do I know which one to buy? I know I need to get at least 16 GB, but are some faster than others? thanks
@AlexRussia Describe to us in details what you did, and why it did not work for you.

1) Did you use a 16GB flash drive (or SD card)... I don't think the transfer rate here is an issue.
2) Did you copy the entire folder "MPQs" to the flash drive ?
3) Did you rename the original "MPQs" folder to something else ?
4) Did you create the mklink in command prompt ?

If you did all of this right, you should see the newly created "MPQs" shortcut in the folder:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"
If you double-click on this shortcut, it should open the "MPQs" which is on the flash drive.

By the way, what is your in-game network latency ?
**** Note: There is a bar-meter in the game that displays your network latency. It is hard to see/find, but it is between the Mana-Sphere and the computer icon. Put your mouse over it and it will show you a number.

My network latency is usually between 200-400ms.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]