Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

yes i did everything correctly. nvm about that. i just want to revert it back to original and not map it away anymore

any idea how to do that?

for me, there is a folder by the original MPQ folder that I assume links to the SD card. Just delete it and rename the original to 'MPQs'

This one: http://i.imgur.com/TWYNI.png
yes i did everything correctly. nvm about that. i just want to revert it back to original and not map it away anymore

any idea how to do that?

for me, there is a folder by the original MPQ folder that I assume links to the SD card. Just delete it and rename the original to 'MPQs'

This one: http://i.imgur.com/TWYNI.png

thanks alot.

tried everything but the game is still too laggy to play.

im running with
intel core i5-2410m, 2.3ghz
6gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 3760mb turbo cache.

really no idea what the problem is. could run other games fine
Edited by bitchieboi#6750 on 5/25/2012 6:54 AM PDT
This proposed solution worked perfectly for me and my Samsung R580. I think the laptop has a relatively slow hard drive. So it often took multiple seconds for for audio effects to load or for loot to drop from chests. I had actually thought it was just constant network delays. But setting up the faked path to a normal USB 2.0 flash drive has solved this virtually entirely.

There is still a bit of network lag from time to time but the game is about 20 times more playable now. Thanks a lot for coming up with this solution. I may also try to do the same thing with a larger external drive connected via USB 2.0. And presumably USB 3.0 works better for others.

I agree with others though that it would be good to have some sort of fix which wouldn't require such an elaborate work around.....
Guys, just go grab a 16 GB key and install D3 on it (copy paste D3 folder) instead of copying the MPQs to a 8gb. It is simple and no need to put line of code to redirect. Plus, if you ever go anywhere to a friends house or whatever, just carry your stick with you to play D3. This whole fix would cost you about 15$... instead of trying and waiting for blizzard to come up with a fix, if they do...

Again, this fixed it all for me, and its a whole new game. D3 is actually awesome at max settings.

Hope more people will get to enjoy a stutter free game!
If you have only got an 8 gig drive folow the OPs orignal instructions with a couple of differences.

Backup the mpq folder and copy all the files except the cutscene one to the memory stick. Create a link to the memory stick as described here. Finally create a link for the missing cutscene mpq from the memory stick back to the cutscene mpq in the backup directory. (do not use the /j switch this time).

Your stick will need to be formated as NTFS to do this.

Neat solution for 8gig stick owners.
Edited by Skuz#2569 on 5/25/2012 8:40 AM PDT
Options you can do that WILL work:

***You need at least 16GB USB flash drive (or 16GB SD card), both will work fine.***
1) Copy the entire content of the "MPQs" folder as described in original post.
2) Install the game on external hard disk drive (HDD) with fast read response times (fast transfer rate does not help this issue).
3) Install the entire game on external SSD.
4) Install the entire game on external USB flash drive (USB 2.0 or 3.0) .
5) Install the entire game on SD card (class 6 or class 10).
***remember which ever drive you install the game to, no other program should be using that drive.

Options that will NOT work:

1) If you only copy partial files inside the "MPQs" folder, you will eventually stutter.
2) If you try to use a 4GB (or 4GB SD card). Not enough space.
3) If you try to use a 8GB (or 8GB SD card). Not enough space.
4) Do not instal the game on the same HDD your OS is on and other background running programs. They will all compete for for HDD resources (read/write access) as you are playing and cause you to stutter. This is because Diablo is constantly reading from your HDD, but so is windows and other background programs (you see the problem?).
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 5/25/2012 10:25 AM PDT
I'd like it if blizzard actually fixed the issue itself, or at least released on official statement of them acknowledging the growing issue as well as ways to fix it-- or an official patch in the works.

I'm tempted to solve the stuttering issue, but a 8-16 gig card is a bit pricey for me and i'm not even sure if it will work for me.
I thought about this and this thread helped me learn about mklink, but you can pretty much copy the whole game onto a 16Gb USB stick without having to mklink anything. It will run off of there.

***You need at least 16GB USB flash drive (or 16GB SD card), both will work fine.***
2) Install the game on external hard disk drive (HDD) with fast read response times (fast transfer rate does not help this issue).
***remember which ever drive you install the game to, no other program should be using that drive.

Options that will NOT work:

1) If you only copy partial files inside the "MPQs" folder, you will eventually stutter.
2) If you try to use a 4GB (or 4GB SD card). Not enough space.
3) If you try to use a 8GB (or 8GB SD card). Not enough space.
4) Do not instal the game on the same HDD your OS is on and other background running programs. They will all compete for for HDD resources (read/write access) as you are playing and cause you to stutter. This is because Diablo is constantly reading from your HDD, but so is windows and other background programs (you see the problem?).

8 gig works absolutely fine for me (and will for anyone else I wager) you copy all the MPQ files (and sub directories with MPQ files) to the stick except enGB_Cutscene.mpq. You link enGB_Cutscene.mpq from the memory stick back to the hard disc. Works like a dream.

The reason this works is that all the mpqs you need to actually play the game are on the stick. The game does not need enGB_Cutscene.mpq until it actually needs to play a cut scene.
Edited by Skuz#2569 on 5/25/2012 10:41 AM PDT
bookmark.
8 gig works absolutely fine for me you copy all the MPQ files (and sub directories with MPQ files) to the stick except enGB_Cutscene.mpq. You link enGB_Cutscene.mpq from the memory stick back to the hard disc. Works like a dream.

The reason this works is that all the mpqs you need to actually play the game are on the stick.

I think you and I (and other computer savvy people) would know how to mklink individual files inside the "MPQs" folder to make it work on 8GB (with some stutters at cut-scenes). However, I believe that the majority of people would rather have a one click solution than a 10 step process. If you like to make a detailed post (step by step) on how to make it work with 8GB, then go for it. Many will be happy :).
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 5/25/2012 10:47 AM PDT
Im just bought a 8gb pen drive, cause 16GB so expensive. ZuphZuph, i think i understood your explain about how to do this works at 8gb.

ZuphZuph, cau u make a detaled post (step by step) on how u got fixes it with a 8gb pen drive. Please do it for us. Thx

Guys we need a for who do not want to spend more 30$ with this game.

Please, make a step by step with a 8GB pen drive.
Edited by gttbr#1676 on 5/25/2012 11:07 AM PDT

the 16gb sd card i just bought at walmart says its class 4, will that not work then? says its 16gb sdhc card
8 gig works absolutely fine for me you copy all the MPQ files (and sub directories with MPQ files) to the stick except enGB_Cutscene.mpq. You link enGB_Cutscene.mpq from the memory stick back to the hard disc. Works like a dream.

The reason this works is that all the mpqs you need to actually play the game are on the stick.

I think you and I (and other computer savvy people) would know how to mklink individual files inside the "MPQs" folder to make it work on 8GB (with some stutters at cut-scenes). However, I believe that the majority of people would rather have a one click solution than a 10 step process. If you like to make a detailed post (step by step) on how to make it work with 8GB, then go for it. Many will be happy :).

Quite so. :) Linking the whole directory is a much more elegant solution kudos to you for suggesting it and more importantly maintaining this thread.

Having said that if you are stuck with only 8 megs 'linking back' for that one file means you only need 2 symbolic links the mpq directory onto the stick and the missing file back from the stick onto the disc.

Anyway this and minuteZero's thread should both be stickied......or better still Bliz produce a fix.
05/25/2012 11:05 AMPosted by gttbr
Im just bought a 8gb pen drive, cause 16GB so expensive. ZuphZuph, i think i understood your explain about how to do this works at 8gb.

16GB is like 15$... your 8GB probably costed you... 10$?
05/25/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Error37
the 16gb sd card i just bought at walmart says its class 4, will that not work then? says its 16gb sdhc card

Should work fine for 60FPS or less. Let us know your results, especially if you running at high FPS (60FPS and above).
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 5/25/2012 11:53 AM PDT
guys, its simpe to use mklink individual, its just no use /d or /j option
example:

1 step: inside mpq folder, rename textures.mpq to textures(original).mpq

2 step: Open cmd, turn on admistrator mode ( with ctrl + alt + enter ), and type:

>mklink "c:\...\diablo2\mpq\textures.mpq" f:\textures.mpq"
>enter

This will create a arquive called 'textures.mpq' ( just shortcut ) in paste 'mpq'

Now when system call for "c:\...\diablo2\mpq\textures.mpq" system will open "f:\textures.mpq"
Posted by gttbr

16GB is like 15$... your 8GB probably costed you... 10$?

Diablo game $60

Slaying hordes of demons "stutter-free" all night long ... PRICELESS !
Well guys, im here to show exacly how i did with my pen drive with 8gb kingston and maybe help some users

1) I send all arquives inside MPQ folder to pen drive, except cutscene.mpq

2) I changed name of original folder to 'mpqs_original'

3) At cmd i typed:

>mklink /J "c:\.....\diablo3\pc\mpqs" "g:\mpqs"
>enter

>mklink "g:\mpqs\cutscene.mpq" "c:\.....\diablo3\pc\mpqs_original\cutscene.mpq"

The game opens and now im here playing at act 1 more than 10minutes with no lags, but ill need to test gameplay with massive players and mobs at map.

I Hope more users with 8GB pendrive's can share some information with me about this fix, and how get the best performance using 8GB pendrives.

My OS its in the same partition that diablo3, now im thinking about move the d3files that is in my HD partition 1, to my HD partition 2.

I hope this helps... im waiting for replys about it.
Good luck 4 all

Should work fine for 60FPS or less. Let us know your results, especially if you running at high FPS (60FPS and above).

well lol i just ran back to walmart and swapped it for a class 10 since i hadn't opened it yet. so everybody knows class 4 $20, class 6 $25, class 10 $30 for the 16gb

now do i just unistall game and then install it to card?

trying to install now, but its a slow go for some reason? is it better to just copy it over instead?
Edited by Error37#1221 on 5/25/2012 12:47 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]