Diablo® III

Driver Not Responding, TDR/BSOD issue.

Hello everyone, I would like to make this post to point out an issue that many users are experiencing when playing Diablo III. I would first like to preface this by saying that I did type out a very long and eloquent post about this just a minute about, but received an error when posting due to the forum/profile software so I don't expect this to be as well thought out as the 30 minutes I just spent trying to describe this issue just a moment ago. So please bear with me as I explain this situation.

i3 1.2ghz processor
Nvidia GeForce 335m
8GB RAM
(laptop)

Firstly, like many I highly anticipated Diablo III and bought it on the first day. For the first two or three days I played the game just fine. I played through the entirety of Act I with little to no issues what so ever. Then one night the servers went down for some maintenance so I resumed play at the beginning of Act II the next day. Now I got a fair way into Act II but not without the beginnings of my BSOD disaster. Random complete system crashes with seemingly no reason.

Now to save time I will not keep secret that I have already discovered the reason for these crashes through viewing the BSOD and the minidump debug files. The crash is being caused by something called Timeout Detection and Recovery which I will not go into great detail about, but I will say you can read all about it here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800
Suffice to say this is a failure for the GPU to respond to a certain piece of software in a timely manner and if it fails so many times in a minute the BSOD will be the result with the nvlddmkm.sys error.

I know this issue is solely related to Diablo III because I have performed numerous tests and attempted all the most common fixes while playing the game. Also I can play other games such as Crysis, WoW, SCII, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, and many other games with very few issues what so ever. So before anyone tries to give me advice on how to resolve the issue I can go ahead and mark a laundry list off for you:

- Complete Uninstall and Reinstall of Diablo III (along with complete wipe of game files)
- Complete Uninstall and Reinstall of GPU Hardware and Drivers
- Attempt to use both 296.10, 301.24 BETA, as well as various other driver versions
- Complete defragmentation of system as well as virus scan.
- Full defragmentation of Diablo III files specifically.
- Monitoring of temperatures and framerates during play
- Attempts at various different graphics settings ranging from ultra low to ultra high

Along with various other things, I have spent the last 3 days trying to get the game to function without crashing on my system. I know this is not an isolated incident as across various forums I have noted numerous other people with M Series (such as the 540m) GPUs have had similar issues. So there must be something fundamentally wrong with the way Diablo III is communicating with the M series GPUs. I fear that my only true hope is in the form of a patch from Blizzard or a new driver from Nvidia (whom I have already contacted and are trying to help me resolve the issue for a few days now).

So this is my plea to all the blues out there. I am not crying or whining like numerous other people on this and many other forums. I understand that game development is very difficult and that it is impossible to account for all the various setups out there in the world. I do not want a $60 paperweight (even though I bought digitally), and I do not want a refund. I just want to play my game.

So why did I make this post? Partially because I want a solution to fall into my lap, even though I know if it did it would not be the permanent one that is necessary. The other reason is because I want Blizzard to be aware of this issue that is plaguing many of the M series users and hope that they can respond in an upcoming patch with a solution to this problem.

I have loved Diablo for over a decade now and DIII was poised to be the best one yet. I truly want nothing more than to be able to play my game Blizzard. So please take notice of this and don't let me down.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for responding accordingly.
Reply Quote
Bump. Anybody else on this forum had a similar issue?
Reply Quote
I have been having BSOD issues with nvlddmkm.sys and ntoskrnl.exe, I have tried all kinds of things from fresh install of new drivers to using old drivers. Its very frustrating to play and then lose your progress in game because of these issues.

My rig is

Alienware m17xR3, I7 2720 2.2Ghz, 8gb hyperx 1866mhz ram, 120gb hyperx ssd sata 3, gtx 460m

I hope someone is working on these issues.
Reply Quote
Further research has yielded that this is an extremely common issue with the Alienware Mx series of laptops. And while I have found a temporary solution this is not fullproof as you can still BSOD.

Download MSI Afterburner and underclock your GPU
Reply Quote
Bump. Anybody have any more suggestions? The Underclock worked for a bit, but it has all but failed since then. I'm back to full freeze/bluescreen in less than 10-15 minutes again.
Reply Quote
I'm having exactly the same problem here, My laptop has a 335M (It's an Alienware). From what I've digged up on the net, everyone using the nvidia M series is having the very same problem... I can only hope Blizzard will find a solution for this, because I too tried everything. Let's hope Blizzard releases a patch or something.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I'm having the same driver problems, but on a desktop PC. i7 3.41GH with GeForce 550 Ti card.
It only started happening this morning. Yesterday I played for multiple hours, during the heat of the day, no issue. After the hotfix, can't even play for 2 minutes without a black screen, stuttering sound, and driver reset.
Reply Quote
Blue really needs to acknowledge this. I've been fishing for a response all day. This issue is not our fault, it is the game communicating poorly with our drivers and GPUs. Why can't they just acknowledge that they are either working on resolving the issue, or stating that they have no plans to resolve the TDR issues that Geforce cards experience so that I can file for a refund.
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Death Knight
I have 2 Alienware M11's. One is xR2 the other is xR3. The xR2 can play for up to 6 hours then it will get a BSOD and reboot. Report shows nvidia driver stopped working. The xR3 does not do it. It plays really great but gets very hot and the fan gets loud from running so hard. Today, the xR3 has started to get disconnected from the server. But that is a different issue. Both systems have the exact same video cards in them, the 335m. The only difference between them is the cpu. xR2 is i3 1.2ghz processor and xR3 is i5 1.4ghz. Both have same driver which is the beta driver from dell, version 285.62, P08. That was the recommended driver from Blizzard. I would also like to find a fix as the xR2 is my husbands system and he is getting really pissed. I have done all the things that HadesWTF has tried except trying to upgrade the driver to 301.24 BETA as I did not think it would work with our systems cause the systems also have the Intel mobile video chip. My hope is that Blizzard will find a fix for this and other nVidia card users. I did see a blue post in the Mac tech support acknowledging an issue with nVidia drivers and that they are testing a fix. Hopefully the fix will help PC users also.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
05/22/2012 11:27 AMPosted by HadesWTF
Bump. Anybody have any more suggestions? The Underclock worked for a bit, but it has all but failed since then. I'm back to full freeze/bluescreen in less than 10-15 minutes again.

I get a BSOD that requires a hard reset of my computer. Been posting here since day 1 about it. Problem is I have a Radeon 6950. I too have gone through the entire list of things like you have done. I will say I didn't have any crashes for almost 3 days. Then today it crashed randomly. No heat, no dust, drivers don't matter, settings don't matter, and I'm at a loss now. My 36 hardcore Wizard bit the dust because of this crap. I know it's only a matter of time before my Baba does too. I filed a ticket with customer support, and got 2 automated responses completely unrelated.

*Edit* Let me ask you guys...are you getting a stuttering sound loop as it crashes? Which is probably just because of the sudden stoppage of audio hardware too.
Edited by Kazru#1153 on 5/23/2012 6:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm on the M11x R2 model. I get a blue screen after a a few minutes to a few hours even with underclocking. Of course there is a new driver now that seems to smooth the FPS but doesn't help the crashing on the M11x. It is literally just a Diablo III interacting issue with the drivers for the GPU. It seems to span a variety of Nvidia Geforce cards.

I've been begging for a Blue response all day. I really just want to know if this is going to be fixed in the future. I'm not trying to get mad or anything, I'd say I've been pretty cool holding onto a $60 game that barely runs for 2 weeks. I really just want to know if I should pursue a refund or not.
Reply Quote
And yes I'm getting a ear splittingly loud soundbite as it crashes, sounds like the computer is about to explode.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
05/23/2012 06:51 PMPosted by HadesWTF
And yes I'm getting a ear splittingly loud soundbite as it crashes, sounds like the computer is about to explode.

Of all 20+ threads I've browsed, and started since the May 15th...I haven't seen a single response on the crashing except 1 blue asking what someones temperatures were. I've posted over, over, and over again that it is NOT heat related. Blizzard did say something on their twitter about working with Nvidia engineers to see something, or other. I had to reiterate that it's not only Nvidia users with the problem either. Been flailing my arms in the crowd for days never to be acknowledged on any of my points.

*Edit again* Hades did you play the beta? If so, did you crash then? In that other thread we mentioned this. I never had a single crash in the closed beta. Seems to be fishy.
Edited by Kazru#1153 on 5/23/2012 7:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 07:00 PMPosted by Helvete

Of all 20+ threads I've browsed, and started since the May 15th...I haven't seen a single response on the crashing except 1 blue asking what someones temperatures were. I've posted over, over, and over again that it is NOT heat related. Blizzard did say something on their twitter about working with Nvidia engineers to see something, or other. I had to reiterate that it's not only Nvidia users with the problem either. Been flailing my arms in the crowd for days never to be acknowledged on any of my points.

Oh I know exactly how you feel I've posted at least 2 or 3 threads about the issue and my continued escapades to find a permanent solution or a temp until Blizzard gets their act together. I mean these people don't know how long I've wanted D3, since the day it was announced I've been hyping it. Now I can't play it due to some odd issue.

I've not gotten a single official or blue response but I monitor my temps and my CPU and GPU never get above 55C while running the game because I have a fantastic cooling pad venting heat off the machine. Therefore it is not temps. I've viewed the crash reports in the minidump and it is TDR or timeout display reset (or whatever) causing the issue. And As I've said in my other active thread I'm getting like smooth as butter 60FPS right before I crash out for absolutely no reason, so it isn't my hardware.

It's D3 and I know it can be hard for Blizzard to accept that, but they really need to because I really just want to play the game. They had no problem taking my money so they should have no problem fixing the issue I'm experiencing. It's really not that tall of an order.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
Yeah. I bought the collectors edition because this was such a monumental release for me. I've been talking about Diablo 3 since WoW being in development. I figured it would see light after that. Nope, it was SC2 first. Now the day had finally come, and it's all being tainted by this instability. Where is the love for their customers? I'm an avid Blizzard game enthusiast. I REALLY want to be on your side with this game Blizz. At least give us a "we are sincerely looking at the issue", or a "it's not our problem". So at least I know whether to give a crap, and stop wasting my times on the forums.
Reply Quote
Pretty much that^^

Just tell us if your working on it, or tell us it will never be fixed and to get a refund.

Just tell us something Blue, stop avoiding it like the plague. I've never had a single issue with WoW or SCII....why D3? Why MY game?
Reply Quote
I just filed a ticket with customer support asking if they were working on a resolution or if I should pursue a refund.

I need to know. Because time is running out on my refund window. I don't want a
$60 game I can never play without building a new PC.
Reply Quote
Been almost 2 days with no ticket response.
Reply Quote
I'm experiencing the same issue on my M11x R2, really pissed off since this is the first PC game I have ever broken down and bought >:(
Reply Quote
Thanks to OP for posting this... very comprehensive.

I am also suffering from this problem and my video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M as well. I’ve experienced similar symptoms to OP in that I had a relatively smooth run through Act 1, then the crashes began and have made the game unplayable. I downclocked to 425, as was suggested on many of the posts here, and was able to play without too many problems for a couple of days. After the recent patches I began crashing again even with the 425 setting. The crashes consist of either a BSOD or a freezing of the game along with a horrible “ear splittingly loud soundbite” that OP describes. The odd thing is that my boyfriend, who has an identical computer to mine, was able to play without any crashes until yesterday when he had his first BSOD (of what I fear are many more to come).

Some things to note: I was able to play the beta with no problems, all drivers are up to date, laptop is clean inside, temperature has remained in the mid 50C - low 70C range.

-----Alienware M11xR2, i7 CPU @ 1.20 GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64-Bit
Edited by Gita#1427 on 6/2/2012 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]