Diablo® III

I just... cant stay alive! Help...

Hi guys, Im pretty sure that many posts like this are showing up and I swear I have been reading all the posts in the forum regarding the matter. Some wont work for me specially because of the level and difficulty (Im on Nightmare atm)

First of all, my build is the following:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#biXdSj!YXb!bZaaZa

And this is not working at all. Im usually dead before using force wave (damn suicide bombers and casters and everything that can hit you from far!), my signature spell does decent dmg, but cant be trusted as Im not sure if it will hit the mob, crystal skin saves my !@# but doesnt last enough to save it for real, and the dmg boosters are just gimping me out.

If anyone could give me advice, I would really appreciate. I love the wizard class, specially because it is that hard to play (for me it is).

Thanks!

PS: Oh, im at level 44.
Edited by Manzazuu#1603 on 5/21/2012 7:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What's your dps and vitality? You can rune shock pulse to go in a straight line and through enemies also.
Reply Quote
try this, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UiXRSj!YXb!YZabZa

basically the same, just a few minor tweaks
Reply Quote
This game is far more about gear than about builds. I struggled too in nightmare until I visited the AH. For about 100k I ended up with about 3 times more DPS and 3 times more health. It went from hard to easy in about 10 minutes. Kind of depressing though, as player skill is also in distant second place to gear.
Reply Quote
I would use teleport in place of Wave of Force. It'll save your life much better than Wave of Force. Especially since with that one rune you can use teleport 3 times in a row, putting you 3 screens away from your enemies.

the second I get touched I just use Diamond skin, then Teleport away. By the time I walk back to the fight Diamond skin is up and teleport is almost up. Probably up if you have the 15% cooldown reduction passive on.
Edited by DrStrange#1206 on 5/21/2012 8:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm level 41 and breezing right through Nightmare without so much as a close call.

Here's the build I'm running: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#iYXTSj!YXf!ZZZZZa

I've been thinking of swapping Cold Snap with Deep Freeze, as I rarely need to use Frost Nova at all much less multiple times per fight.

I have ~2300 damage fully buffed and ~7500 HP and just blow through everything so far.

EDIT: You can also rune Convergence instead of Chaos Nexus, but I enjoy the multi-beam spam for things running behind me.
Edited by Scopes#1659 on 5/21/2012 8:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Raziel , Okay,
1. How in gods name do you put teleport in Place of Wave of Force, as Teleport is a Defensive spell.
2. How do you switch to Diamond skin from Teleport and vice versa So Quickly? They are on the same CD, So It makes no sense.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
That's actually almost the exact build I was using for a while at the same level. There are a few tricks to it that prevent getting... well, slaughtered.

First, templar buddy. He gets between you and the bad guys. Won't really hold everything back, but can distract a few baddies and make the others take a few extra steps buying you that extra second.

Second, you don't really need Crystal Shell at this point. Can baddies break through your diamond skin without it? Sure, if they gang up on you.

To start, you would usually approach mobs, and start blasting Disintegrate ray, till they get close to you. Right before the first guy hits you, pop diamond skin. (I used Prism, just so I can keep my disintegrate ray prettymuch indefinitely). While in Diamond Skin, you still have to be somewhat evasive. Don't get surrounded, don't take big hits that are easy to avoid. Partly this is because with only a 6 second duration, you'll develop a bad habit of getting stomped the second your shield breaks.

The second the diamond armor breaks, if there are enemies in hitting range, pop Wave of Force and get away. That should finish off weaker enemies, and give you breathing room for the tougher ones.

If there's much fighting left, you can kite while your cooldowns refresh. A bit annoying, but it keeps you alive.

One problem a lot of people have in nightmare is health. You need it. Around that level, 3-4k should be what you want. More is better, not required.

At level 42, I had about 1.7k dps I think, with 4k health, without needing the auction house. Aside from getting ganged by some elite mobs with some nasty abilities from time to time, I'm still doing pretty well finishing up Act 2.

That being said, I'm changing up my style now, cause it IS getting outdated, and I'm tired of giving up two of my active slots for damage boosts...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
@Gorobashi- If you go to Menu>Options>Gameplay then go to the Interface column, the last option is "Elective Mode" you can put any button anywhere(your primary left mouse click has restrictions, but other than that its anywhere you want). Spells don't share CDs unless I'm mistaken.
Edited by Endymion#1408 on 5/21/2012 8:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
05/21/2012 08:36 AMPosted by Endymion
@Gorobashi- If you go to Menu>Options>Gameplay then go to the Interface column, the last option is "Elective Mode" you can put any button anywhere(your primary left mouse click has restrictions, but other than that its anywhere you want). Spells don't share CDs unless I'm mistaken.

No shared cd's I find. Meteor/blizz work well(after slight arcane regen). Unless that short period is a "shared cd". :)
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Vahkn
This game is far more about gear than about builds. I struggled too in nightmare until I visited the AH. For about 100k I ended up with about 3 times more DPS and 3 times more health. It went from hard to easy in about 10 minutes. Kind of depressing though, as player skill is also in distant second place to gear.

Perhaps the fact that you had to buy the gear is a sign of your lack of "skill" to complete the current content, with your current gear...

...Tell me again how easy it is when you out gear the content with gear others farmed! *thumbs up*
Reply Quote
what endymion said.
i pretty much breeze with nm with pure offensive abilities:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcXYSQ!YXc!aaZYZZ

what i do is, electrocute and arcane orb (fit in between so that u dont cap and waste AP) while pack of mobs are approaching, when they surround you use Frost nova, then pop diamond skin + arcane orb spam, by this time they should either all dead or only 1-2 remain alive and just tele away to gain distance and repeat when cds are available.

u could however change frost nova for frost hydras. they are amazingly powerful (slows and does aoe dmg)
Edited by Asura#6216 on 5/21/2012 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote

u could however change frost nova for frost hydras. they are amazingly powerful (slows and does aoe dmg)

Frost Hydra is level 46, so he'd have to wait 2 more levels.
Reply Quote
81 Blood Elf Warlock
Hard to tell without knowing your dmg and hp, because it may be a significant part of your issue. Main problems I see:
1) You are using up a passive slot for evocation, but only have 1 skill that has a cooldown (forceful wave)
2) No armor skill, if you are soloing and dying frequently having an armor skill may significantly improve your survivability. I'd ditch sparkflint and replace with energy armor(personal preference). Since you have Astral Presence, energy armors -20 AP will drop you back down to 100 (which is worth it IMO), you can use absorption for AP boost til you hit 48 and then bump yourself back up to 120 with the 48 rune if you want. No matter which armor you decide to use, replace evocation with galvanizing ward, the life per tick is helpful on top of the added length. I really see no reason to use evoc with only 1 cooldown spell.
3) Your primary spells. I know lots of people like piercing orb, i find it to be too slow and too inaccurate for most situations. Electrocute +Surge of Power is instant, accurate across the screen, and will fill your AP back up quickly, but thats just a preference, orb is fine. I ran with Disintegrate +Volatility for most of NM (if your dmg is high and can easily kill most trash in a second or 2 with dis, the volatility explosions make a HUGE difference for clearing large groups, but its not ideal for every situation) That said if your dmg isnt high enough to cut through trash fast, disintegrate leaves you very vulnerable while channeling. If you are dying a lot it may be because of this. Which leads me to...
4) Hydra: Its very very tough for me to ever get rid of hydra. In your build (just my opinion) you have 2 "Oh S*it" spells, DS and Wave of Force. I used a similar set up (switching between WoF and Frost Nova) until i realized that i was using them both too often, and if you are using them it means you most likely arent casting anything thats doing any damage. Hydra is amazing not only for scouting, and casting through doors. But even if you cant cast any of your primaries, Hydra will still be doing damage. I ran with arcane for a long time because its nice AOE. Venom is far superior damage wise, but you need to keep your enemies standing in its pools for maximum effectiveness. In my build below I subbed Dis for Blizzard, and it keeps enemies in my pools for longer.

Current Build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UlSRXO!YfW!YbZbab

Im 52, 7k dmg, 14k hp.
My main strat for both solo and group (except for bosses). Pop Venom Hydra, Lay down 2 blizzards around it, whittle away the whole group with electrocute +AP regen. I very rarely have to pop my DS. This has worked well for me, but the great thing about the new skill system is it gives you lots of variety in your options.
Cheers! (and i hope you dont die so much anymore)
Reply Quote
Hey, thanks for all the hints guys.

My hps are 3.1k and dps is 2.9k (is this reasonable?)

One of the builds I tried: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#iYXOSj!YXf!ZZZaZa

I changed storm armor for energy armor. Well, the only problem with this build is that you go ooe (out of energy) after a while and you have no signature spells to help you rebuild energy fast. In a boss battle I went ooe 3 times and went 0 dps.

Im going to try this build now: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcXYSQ!YXc!aaZYZZ

Again, thanks for all the help, you guys are showing me light where I couldnt see any.

@Damp, I like your build. Seems interesting. Will give a try and let you know. I find it hard to get rid of disintegrate because of the multi beams (mobs come from our backs constantly in Nightmare, I cant even imagine how this crap is on hell).

Although even if im dying madly crazy, Im still having a blast. The possibilities are countless, I just couldnt find one that would fit my gameplay style and the moment im in game. Im having a blast with my class.
Edited by Manzazuu#1603 on 5/21/2012 3:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Force armor.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I had almost the same build all through NM. Just replace the Wave of Force with Arcane Hydra (trust me, it's amazing for kiting, which you have to do).

I basically facerolled NM like a god, so the build is fine. I got all new gear on the AH every 5 levels, so that's probably where your problems lies. I'm guessing you're wearing bad stuff.
Reply Quote
Hi guys, Im pretty sure that many posts like this are showing up and I swear I have been reading all the posts in the forum regarding the matter. Some wont work for me specially because of the level and difficulty (Im on Nightmare atm)

First of all, my build is the following:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#biXdSj!YXb!bZaaZa

And this is not working at all. Im usually dead before using force wave (damn suicide bombers and casters and everything that can hit you from far!), my signature spell does decent dmg, but cant be trusted as Im not sure if it will hit the mob, crystal skin saves my !@# but doesnt last enough to save it for real, and the dmg boosters are just gimping me out.

If anyone could give me advice, I would really appreciate. I love the wizard class, specially because it is that hard to play (for me it is).

Thanks!

PS: Oh, im at level 44.

Well you've solved half the problem by identifying it. All you need to do now is look at your list of abilities and see what you think might need to be replaced.

Though, frost nova really works wonders on large packs and particularly bosses.. I'd use that and diamond skin and manage those cooldowns for defense. (Thrown in an explosive blast/short fuse rune and you can wait for them to come to you with diamond skin, explode them, and freeze them and run away to wait for the 6s cd that is explosive blast.)

That and Hydra.. really hydra is a beautiful spell. I'm so glad it came back from the past and into my arsenal.

For every pure % dps upgrade you take like magic weapon, sparkflint, and glass cannon.. I would advise putting more and more distance between you and the mob packs.. which may mean taking a spell with a longer range than shock pulse or more big aoe oriented spells like blizzard/meteor.
Reply Quote
I used this

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WcXOSR!afb!aaZZZb

1H with int shield, decent damaged and could tank anything on NM, not that useful for hell

When you get healing blades use that rune, at level 50 you can use critical mass that and the critical rune on the shield will let you spam diamond skin
Edited by Lugh#1827 on 5/21/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hi, my current build

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UcXYSd!bXZ!aaYZZb

I mainly use the orb to take out enemies but if a big group gets close or a champion pack is around I pop diamond skin- run into the huge pack - frost nova - fire a couple orbs- then wave of force followed by a few more orbs.

Plus being in the middle of the group when i kill them means I pick up the health globes/30 arcane power and can pop enuf orbs to kill anything left over without running out of arcane.

The build means that I have taken out glass cannon and familiar as damage boosters though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]