Diablo® III

Is having 1 primary skill necessary?

I see some wizards with no primary skill at all. Is it best to have at least 1 primary skill? Or is it not necessary? Or does it just depend on what build you want?
Reply Quote
Certain builds eliminate the primary skill requirement.

I can think of two: blizzard/ray build that I'm currently using, and a similar disintegrate build. With the right combination of spells and passives, you can break-even with ray and slow disintegrate's ap usage to a trickle.

I use http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlOXRQ!WfX!bbYZbb if you're interested.
Edited by StyLeD#1443 on 5/22/2012 1:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
depends on the build/difficulty. there are good builds without signature spells, but the ones i find effective on inferno all have one signature spell.
Reply Quote
I honestly think I can forgo a primary with my arcane disruption build with high crit, critical mass, and regenerate AP on crit gear, but primaries have their uses when you need to kite.
Reply Quote
It comes down to what your weapon speed is and whether you use a lot of arcane cost reduction abilities. Astral Presence with a 2 handed mace and Ray of frost with cold blooded rune lets you cast indefinitely. Storm Armor with power of the storm rune lets you cast 20 cost spells for a long time. Getting familiar with Arcanot rune let's you spam 20 cost spells endlessly.
Reply Quote
In inferno you need signature spells since you will always want to run Energy armor which removes a lot of your AP.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Ayas
I honestly think I can forgo a primary with my arcane disruption build with high crit, critical mass, and regenerate AP on crit gear, but primaries have their uses when you need to kite.

which you pretty much have to do on anything past mid/late hell. unless you are going for the critical mass CDR build, but then shock pulse living lightning is so good for it you may end up using a signature anyway
Reply Quote

I can think of two: blizzard/ray build that I'm currently using, and a similar disintegrate build. With the right combination of spells and passives, you can break-even with ray and slow disintegrate's ap usage to a trickle.

I use http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZlOXRQ!WfX!bbYZbb if you're interested.

I noticed you have "Arcane Dynamo" as a passive but you have no "Signiture spells" equipped :(
Reply Quote

I noticed you have "Arcane Dynamo" as a passive but you have no "Signiture spells" equipped :(

Messed up with the skill calc. Supposed to be Cold Blooded (derp).
Reply Quote

I didn't know you can use diamond skin and teleport at the same time. o.O
Reply Quote

option -> elective mode
Reply Quote

option -> elective mode
Today I learned. :D Thanks.
Reply Quote
there is a rune that does the opposite effect.........
Reply Quote
57 Tauren Paladin
05/22/2012 01:23 AMPosted by RuthlessAB
I see some wizards with no primary skill at all. Is it best to have at least 1 primary skill? Or is it not necessary? Or does it just depend on what build you want?

Nope, I don't use a primary skill. I just use Arcane Orb with the lowered AP cost rune and Astral Presence. It really doesn't work well in 4 player co-op since every enemy has so much health, though.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
With Astral Presence, Arcanot and the Templar you don't need to even worry about AP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]