Diablo® III

Advice for a newb?

Just started playing, and honestly, I'm struggling on Act II in Normal with my Barbarian and could use some advice.

What are some general pointers for playing as a Barbarian and not dying on the tough mobs in Normal?

Thank you very much.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
>boring troll
>move on
Reply Quote
Well if you are having difficulty with normal pick up some cheap decent gear from the AH. Try a weapon with life on hit and bolster your vit. Skill wise, revenge and ground stomp will be your bread and butter. Nearly nothing is immune to stun on normal so use it on groups. Also, inspiring presence will give enough life regen on normal for the vast majority of fights so shout away.
Reply Quote
^!@#$ Ahmoi..

Yeah, I had problems in Act II normal as well.
Try throwing axes at the mobs
Reply Quote
Ahmoi, as surprising as this may sound, I'm not a troll and my question was legitimate. I really do suck at this game, and that's all there is to it. Thank you Rumina and Liquid for taking my question seriously and answering it.

So I guess the key is gear that increases vitality and provides life-boosting in any way possible. Also, Revenge and Ground Stomp are the way to go. That makes sense.

I have been using Revenge, but I've noticed that it randomly activates, and sometimes, when I get surrounded by a tough mob and can't run, Revenge doesn't activate quick enough, and I end up dying. I guess that's just bad luck.

Are there any strategies for running away when I'm surrounded, or is the name of the game to simply have high enough vitality to not have to run?

Also, I'm not familiar with Inspiring Presence, but that's probably because I'm only level 18 now. Also, I'll try the axe-throwing technique. Thanks.

What do you guys think about Magic Hammer vs. Seismic Wave?

Lastly (for now), does it matter what follower I use and should I be doing boss runs at all, or is Normal designed to be cleared without having to do a lot of runs?

...Sorry, but I just thought of some other questions:
- Several times, the game has provided me with a second follower, and eventually asked if I wanted to replace my Templar dude with that follower? Should I switch the followers up?
- A lot of the other threads (while mainly about Hell and Inferno) seem to suggest that high-DPS equipment is important. How is DPS calculated?
- Up till now, when I get a bunch of gear, I pretty much always equip the gear with the highest number (save for a few times when the added stats seemed to outweight the big number). Is there a more empirical way to gauge which gear is best given all the stats that come with magical equipment, etc.?
- Should I sell magical/rare equipment that I don't want for cash to the merchants, or should I salvage it for stuff from the blacksmith?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really am that much of a newb and have no friends to play with. Thanks.
Reply Quote
SMASH
Reply Quote
I've an advice for you since you're low level now. Drop the barb go roll something else, unless you're fine with spending lots of hard saved gold on a tank wannable in inferno that can neither tank or kill, plus you get 1 shotted like any other classes. The only biggest differences is that other classes can kill.. but a barb? The most useless class as the game starts in inferno.
Reply Quote
Znov, I very much appreciate your advice, but I really enjoy playing as the Barbarian, and I imagine that by the time I reach Inferno (if I ever do), there will be lots of Barbarian strategies for handling it solo, so I'm not too worried.

I don't suppose anyone could answer my questions in my previous post, could they?
Thank you.
Reply Quote
There could be many different reasons why your struggling.

-Are you using a 2H, sword/board, or DW?
-Can you link your build?
-What stats are you focusing on for gear?

I am currently in Act I of NM as a DW Barb and have not been having issues killing mobs. More than likely its your build/equipment. I focus on +STR and +VIT gear and have +4500 Health and +600 DPS and I am sure that I am on the low end to most well geared barbs of my level.

My current build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bVkSiP!cYe!ZZZaaa
Reply Quote
- Several times, the game has provided me with a second follower, and eventually asked if I wanted to replace my Templar dude with that follower? Should I switch the followers up?

You don't have to replace your follower. Each new follower you meet will remain in town for you to hire. Templar is good to keep for healing

- A lot of the other threads (while mainly about Hell and Inferno) seem to suggest that high-DPS equipment is important. How is DPS calculated?

Unknown. Never was into that. I just buy gear and smash things.

- Up till now, when I get a bunch of gear, I pretty much always equip the gear with the highest number (save for a few times when the added stats seemed to outweight the big number). Is there a more empirical way to gauge which gear is best given all the stats that come with magical equipment, etc.?

Depends on your play style. As DW I focus on +STR and +VIT.

- Should I sell magical/rare equipment that I don't want for cash to the merchants, or should I salvage it for stuff from the blacksmith?

Your choice. Cash is nice but sometimes you can make nice gear in the interim till you find something better. Most times the AH will have better gear. Now if you want to work on achievements for BS than salvage your items.
Edited by iDdraig#1290 on 5/22/2012 3:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Re-roll, as it stands now, if you're having difficulty with barb on normal, it's only going to get much, much worse in the later difficulties.
Reply Quote
MusicMole, I don't want to give up on the Barbarian just yet. I'd rather learn how to play the game and crush things with the Barbarian than go for an "easier" class.

Also, what does "DW" mean? Duel-wield? Can I simply equip two weapons instead of a weapon and shield for more damage? How does the weapon damage stack?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
MusicMole, I don't want to give up on the Barbarian just yet. I'd rather learn how to play the game and crush things with the Barbarian than go for an "easier" class.

Also, what does "DW" mean? Duel-wield? Can I simply equip two weapons instead of a weapon and shield for more damage? How does the weapon damage stack?

Thanks.

DW is indeed dual-wield. And yes, you can simply equip 2 1-handed weapons instead of weapon+shield. But I would not recommend it. Damage from DW does not stack, it just makes you swing one weapon after another, rather than smashing all the time with 1 weapon. And the damage will change as well with each swing, depend on the DPS of current swinging weapon. If you are struggling on normal already, do not play DW just yet, shield will give you much more survivality
Reply Quote
All right, good to know. I guess I just need to play some more before I really worry about anything else. Thanks.
Reply Quote
I'm not the best barbarian but I've experience what you have and am keen to help you with this. I used to have pure strength gear and dual-wielded till I got owned by packs of white mobs in normal mode. Here's a breakdown of what you should do to survive.

Dual-wield VS Sword and Board

Do note that dtrength gives a dmg% modifier to our outgoing damage and also provides armor. Dualwielding 2 non strength weapons may may result in less dmg than a socketed weapon with a strength shield.

Follower

Use a Templar with this build for all modes and give all your hand-me-downs to him

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/follower#0100

Normal Mode

For a decent build, you can try this

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bcYViT!aYX!ZZZaaa

Use Cleave for trash mobs and Bash for bosses as your primary skill. Switch your Rend/Seismic Slam to Hammer of the Ancients for secondary skills.

For gear, use str + vitality gear which you can get from drops or AH. Since leveling is easy, you can change gear at every 10-15 levels.

I recommend getting used to and either dual wield or sword and board(my preference).

Nightmare Mode

A slightly modified build as compare to Normal Mode

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bcYVkP!aYX!ZZZabZ

Gear stat priority remains the same but updated every 5 levels or so.

Sword and board is highly recommended for this. Also, obtain weapons with sockets and use red gems to increase damage output.

Hell Mode

I'm currently progressing thru Hell Mode and I find that some blur or yellow elites will steamroll you with ease rather than it being the other way round. Hence I'll recommend doing some self trial and error with Elective Mode. From here modify and play around with things. See what suits you best.

I hope you have a better understanding and guide to life as a Barbarian in Diablo 3. Knowing all your barbarian's skills and passives is crucial to playing the game. Feel free to add my battle tag and pm me ingame. I'm still learning myself so what I put may not appeal to others. Hope it helps you though.

Cheers.
Edited by Azerys#1605 on 5/22/2012 6:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't suggest you give up, barbarian is fun as !@#$ to play up until Inferno, then you are literally a %^-* kicker who brings nothing to the table.
It's absolutely embarrassing dying in a toe to toe fight as a Barbarian doing sub-par damage with !@#$ tier survivability, as the wizard with 6k hp standing next to you is 3 shotting mobs.
Blizzard really dropped the ball on this one.
Edited by MusicMole#1273 on 5/22/2012 6:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
All great advice. Thank you so much. One question: What does "sword and board" mean?

After reading all the advice in this post, I was super anxious to start slashing away, but Battle.net is down. So lame!
Reply Quote
1 handed weapon and shield.
Reply Quote
I'd say stick to upping ur armor and your vitality primarily.... second i stick anything that steals life, and then damage and strength....

also your choice in skills makes a big diference.... try playin around with dif skill combos see what works best for u
Edited by SweetAnubis#1426 on 5/22/2012 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would recommend using Leap with the Iron Impact rune. It will give you an armor buff when you first leap into a group of enemies. You can also use it to hop out if you're taking too much damage. At which point you could use Seismic Slam with the Stagger rune to stun enemies giving you time to recuperate. Also, you can use Frenzy with the Triumph rune to add additional healing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]