Diablo® III

Legendaries are not bad - Blues are OP!

*WALL of Text incomming* Dedicated analysis of the Diablo 3 items, stats and what conclusion I have made in the past few days *WALL of Text incomming*

Have you ever thought about that?

I mean REALY gave it a thought?! I have spend the last couple of days pondering and reading about how the legendaries and set items are complete crap while blues/rares are BIS(best in slot). More over there have been several occasions where vendors provide absurdly overpowered rings necks and other items.

More to the point if you look at the budgeting scaling from normal to nightmare and from nightmare to hell you will realize that the progression is not arithmetical but geometrical. Aka in essence the level of the item(or tier or w/e you want to call it) MULTIPLIES with the stat it can provide for example % damage which in turn is multiplied by the DPS of the weapon. And so the scaling goes way out of proportion the higher the item thus enabling us to see blue/rare weapons with 1k+ dps and hundreds of the +%damage stat. The result is a weapon or item(to a lesser degree but still applicable) so powerful that if rolled with other affixes would be rendered completely useless.

Now lets look at the legendary items. They have a decent amount of DPS and static affixes with possibly one or two random properties. And since there is No legendary items with the top affixes in the game(because I`d wager someone @ Blizz saw what would happen if they put one with them) there is ultra slim chance for that legendary item to be better then a blue rare one. And to top that we have a pure statistical inability to roll such a legendary item compared to a blue/rare one.

But one can ask why? Its simple. Lets take a +6 random affixes craft rare. You have 6 independant rolls for your affix to appear .And due to the geometrical scaling of the DPS and affixes if you roll the best affix twice(say flat damage combined with %damage) it does not matter that much what the other 4 affixes are because you essentially have a min-maxed item. And if you fail ...well you can craft/hunt those kind of blue/rare items en mass. Now with a legendary item you are double penalized. 1) you need specific zone/difficulty to be able to have a chance to loot one say 4th act on hell 2) You are hampered by the lower drop chance compared to another item of "lower" quality. And then you have not 6 but 1 or maximum of 2 "affix rolls" that can make or break that legendary item.

Last but not least I want to touch about the budgeting of certain affixes and their power compared to the rest of stats you can have. +%damage and +flat damage have in my opinion to high of a budget from the gate. Even WITH arithmetical progression scaling they would still trump all other stats because they provide so much of the "best". Who needs life regen or survivability when you can simply blow stuff up with the huge amount of damage the characters can do with those stats stacked. Also I won't to emphasize the words of Blizzard CMs and Devs themselves claming Hell and Inferno will be abysmal until the people attempting them gear up with enough defensive stats to endure them. But that did not happened because when people grabbed those 1k dps items and stacked them with x%damage stats they did not care about survivability because stuff died before it even reached them. Don't believe me? Look at the 4 monks and 4 demon hunter builds Athene and his crew played and managed to breeze through the inferno with 10k hp and almost 0 defensive stats(Yes I understand that they relied on near invulnerability skill combination but even without it they still managed) or look at 1 tank 3 ranged player combination that is so popular in EU and Asia. People don't care about defensive stats or +magic find(to a lesser degree) because a combination of ultra overbudgeded stats trump everything else in the game.

Before I end this wall of text I want you the players and the Devs and CMs at Blizzard to think about a scenario for a moment:

In my opinion there will be a moment not so long from now when someone will look at the blue/rare vendors on Inferno and will see a 1k+ dps item or other stat- stack item and will buy his heart out. What more he will invite his friends and they will do the same. A week will pass the AH and markets will flood with this item and you will realize that 99.99% of the items and item combinations in the game will be Irrelevant. And then you will realize that what your saw in this post is the hard cold truth.
Edited by TENSOON#2363 on 5/23/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What I propose as a constructive criticism is this(hand waving some number but you get the point I hope)

1) Reduce the budgeting of the +flat damage and +%damage on the weapons by roughly half
2) Reduce the chance if possible for stat-stacking to be in geometrical progression
3) Reduce the %damage from primary stats(3points for 1% damage should be enough)
4) Increase some of the less desirable stats like lifesteal/block/resistance/health per globule/life regen by a factor of 1.2 or 1.5

What will this accomplish is this :

It will reduce the damage you will deal in hell and inferno by a ~50-60%. This will stop the zerg and will force people to care more about defensive stats and health way more then pure damage because they will not be able to implode everything they see no matter the difficulty.
IT will promote legendary, set and high end craft items to be if not a must a very recommended path of progression before you can step in the big boys league(aka inferno boss farming and such)
Last but not least it will differentiate greatly the decent the good and the best players, because the latter will have a deeper understanding of the balance between defensive stats, play skill, and offensive power.

I do not like to fish for a blue response, but I hope the CMs will forward my feedback to the right place and can get an answer about this gloom prediction of mine.
Reply Quote
I totally agree with this thread. I was thinking about this when shopping in the AH last night.

I'm totally going to shell out some gold for one of these ridiculous items in the meantime because I do think a patch or nerf will come ;). Get them while you still can!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Small addition to your post.
So as you said + damage and %damage are 2 most important stats.
And blue as we saw can spawn with 300-600 +damage stat, while all legendaries are guaranteed this stats BUT it caps at maybe 200-400 top, asurewrath for example caps are like 340... So it is simple not possible for it to reach level of blue weapon damage.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The big problem right now is the way damage scales.

The DPS on a weapon gives much better benefits than stats such as intellect.

A weapon with 300 damage and 0 intellect is more power than an item with 250 damage and 100 intellect for a wizard.

It is pretty stupid that wizards do more damage with melee weapons than they do with weapons based around intellect. Just the way they decided to scale the game.
Reply Quote
*WALL of Text incomming* Dedicated analysis of the Diablo 3 items, stats and what conclusion I have made in the past few days *WALL of Text incomming*

Have you ever thought about that?

I mean REALY gave it a thought?! I have spend the last couple of days pondering and reading about how the legendaries and set items are complete crap while blues/rares are BIS(best in slot). More over there have been several occasions where vendors provide absurdly overpowered rings necks and other items.

More to the point if you look at the budgeting scaling from normal to nightmare and from nightmare to hell you will realize that the progression is not arithmetical but geometrical. Aka in essence the level of the item(or tier or w/e you want to call it) MULTIPLIES with the stat it can provide for example % damage which in turn is multiplied by the DPS of the weapon. And so the scaling goes way out of proportion the higher the item thus enabling us to see blue/rare weapons with 1k+ dps and hundreds of the +%damage stat. The result is a weapon or item(to a lesser degree but still applicable) so powerful that if rolled with other affixes would be rendered completely useless.

Now lets look at the legendary items. They have a decent amount of DPS and static affixes with possibly one or two random properties. And since there is No legendary items with the top affixes in the game(because I`d wager someone @ Blizz saw what would happen if they put one with them) there is ultra slim chance for that legendary item to be better then a blue rare one. And to top that we have a pure statistical inability to roll such a legendary item compared to a blue/rare one.

But one can ask why? Its simple. Lets take a +6 random affixes craft rare. You have 6 independant rolls for your affix to appear .And due to the geometrical scaling of the DPS and affixes if you roll the best affix twice(say flat damage combined with %damage) it does not matter that much what the other 4 affixes are because you essentially have a min-maxed item. And if you fail ...well you can craft/hunt those kind of blue/rare items en mass. Now with a legendary item you are double penalized. 1) you need specific zone/difficulty to be able to have a chance to loot one say 4th act on hell 2) You are hampered by the lower drop chance compared to another item of "lower" quality. And then you have not 6 but 1 or maximum of 2 "affix rolls" that can make or break that legendary item.

Last but not least I want to touch about the budgeting of certain affixes and their power compared to the rest of stats you can have. +%damage and +flat damage have in my opinion to high of a budget from the gate. Even WITH arithmetical progression scaling they would still trump all other stats because they provide so much of the "best". Who needs life regen or survivability when you can simply blow stuff up with the huge amount of damage the characters can do with those stats stacked. Also I won't to emphasize the words of Blizzard CMs and Devs themselves claming Hell and Inferno will be abysmal until the people attempting them gear up with enough defensive stats to endure them. But that did not happened because when people grabbed those 1k dps items and stacked them with x%damage stats they did not care about survivability because stuff died before it even reached them. Don't believe me? Look at the 4 monks and 4 demon hunter builds Athene and his crew played and managed to breeze through the inferno with 10k hp and almost 0 defensive stats(Yes I understand that they relied on near invulnerability skill combination but even without it they still managed) or look at 1 tank 3 ranged player combination that is so popular in EU and Asia. People don't care about defensive stats or +magic find(to a lesser degree) because a combination of ultra overbudgeded stats trump everything else in the game.

Before I end this wall of text I want you the players and the Devs and CMs at Blizzard to think about a scenario for a moment:

In my opinion there will be a moment not so long from now when someone will look at the blue/rare vendors on Inferno and will see a 1k+ dps item or other stat- stack item and will buy his heart out. What more he will invite his friends and they will do the same. A week will pass the AH and markets will flood with this item and you will realize that 99.99% of the items and item combinations in the game will be Irrelevant. And then you will realize that what your saw in this post is the hard cold truth.

Already i've seen this done with amulets. At any given point the last 4 days there's been 10 magic amulets with 200 dex 99 vit for sale for 99k, obviously from the same seller.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]