Diablo® III

So how many inferno monks dual wielding?

So I picked this class to use bad !@# Bo's or dual wield. And after getting end game find out that I pretty much have to have uber gear or go super tank mode. I done day's of searches and reading and watching streams and what I notice is every monk in inferno is using 3/4 defensive abilities and a shield. Not what I had in mind, any monks using dual wield, and if so I would love to see a video how you do it. I mean doing your current act, not a previous act where you have the top gear.
Reply Quote
I have been dual-wielding the entire time in Inferno. You can be just as tanky as anyone who uses 1hander/shield. Except you'll do significantly more damage.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#biXegh!XYb!ZYbZaa
Reply Quote
You use this build? seriously? I am going to long on and try it now, it looks like you would die with it. What is your basic rotation, how do you manage your spirit. And what are your stats? What companion do you use and what spells on the companion? I am very interested now. And thanks for the response, I am excited if I can learn to play with dual wield I will be so happy.
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 08:06 PMPosted by Erudite
You use this build? seriously? I am going to long on and try it now, it looks like you would die with it. What is your basic rotation, how do you manage your spirit. And what are your stats? What companion do you use and what spells on the companion? I am very interested now. And thanks for the response, I am excited if I can learn to play with dual wield I will be so happy.

This. I would like to see more detailed information regarding this build and the items that you're using. Additionally, if you would be so kind as to provide information on your farming runs and what particularly has been the most effective for you, that would be great. I would love to be able to use my monk again, and I haven't been able to find any builds that really work for me. I'm interested to try this one, it seems as good as any at this point.

Especially Spirit management, that is obviously the largest concern that I have at this point.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
05/23/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Matteo

This. I would like to see more detailed information regarding this build and the items that you're using. Additionally, if you would be so kind as to provide information on your farming runs and what particularly has been the most effective for you, that would be great. I would love to be able to use my monk again, and I haven't been able to find any builds that really work for me. I'm interested to try this one, it seems as good as any at this point.

Especially Spirit management, that is obviously the largest concern that I have at this point.

I would love to use this build also and dual wield, its why I rolled monk. From what I can tell form looking at the build, you get a 70% armor buff with the deadly reach rune as well as the mantra of evasion rune. So that is pretty substantial right there. Also, as far as spirit goes, notice the sweeping wind rune, assuming you have decent crit and can get to 3 stacks asap, you gain 3 spirit per sec. The range of deadly reach allows you to hit enemies without them hitting you if you play smart.

I am not sure if the exalted soul passive is required or if the blazing wrath rune is required, but from what I can tell the build takes the blazing wrath rune for the nice damage bonus and in turn gains some healing from serenity with its rune. As far as wave of light goes, not sure if it's required. Also, I am sure the gear of the player matters.
Reply Quote
I have been dual wielding since release and into inferno. This build is a little micro intensive, as the abilities I use in a fight are very deliberate, as opposed to just spamming a button or two.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UWYdQg!YdX!ZZZcba

I should first note that this build only works with spirit regen gear. I think that I have about +4 regen right now, which is about how much you need. Most of this build revolves around the dynamic between CW and WOTHF; CW gives an incredible debuff but no knockback which can leave you surrounded. WOTHF gives a great buff to movement speed which is great for avoiding damage from elite spells, plus a slight knockback which buys you time to apply the CW debuff. This combination has really great synergy. Furthermore, BF with echo is probably the best skill for a monk to have imo. Dashing strike lets me never get surrounded, can break through jail, and avoid a lot of damage altogether.

I'm just farming Act 1 of inferno for better resist gear atm but I'm having great success and fun with this. I have about as much trouble with elites as the next guy, but I can stay alive for a long time as I don't really run out of spirit very often.
Reply Quote
73 Troll Druid
wave of light is useless, better off with cyclone strike+ soothing breeze, use it 2x for 1 wave of light, slightly less dmg but you will hit more targets (you can use it once to tighten them up and kite, hit > cyclone and repeat), cluster them better for deadly reach, and its also an 8k heal (rune and your passive), so for smaller mob pulls you can "be in the fray" with having healing, serenity and cyclone healing you/immunity
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I would make a gamble and say that all dual wielding monk viability requires life steal, life on hit, life on spirit use, and regeneration. All or any combination of those. If you have the right build and you stack the 4 recovery stats, stack vitality and dex.....you should theoretically be fine.

I'm doing it now in NM, can't wait to test it out in inferno.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
To those interested, I am tried out the build posted above for dual wielding on some act 3 champ and rare packs, since that is as far as I am, and it went really well. Between the 70% extra armor, extra dodge, and knockback with the bell, survivability seemed fine. This was after only about an hour of testing and is no conclusive, but so far so good.
Reply Quote
Its not nearly as bad as my build i have 2 primarys but there great in the way they work together in act 1 in inferno i can make mobs hit me for 300dmg a hit
Reply Quote
73 Troll Druid
if u arent going into inferno with tons of health or armor or resist u shouldnt be in inferno, this is an inferno thread, its not dangerous u obv arent even geared which brings ur opinion to moot
Reply Quote
Thanks for tips guys, I actually messed around tonight with dual wield and got it working really well, cleard half the act and only died to some random champions that was just impossible to kill as monk I think, well unless you want to kite for 15 minutes. But anyway thanks for tips. I am doing quite well. I even messed around with quickening and some crit gear and it actually works really well, was getting ton of spirit, enough to use Overawe to heal with because of spirit heals. And used the blink that has 30% damage buff and the 15% damage buff from the other heal. All in all was sick sick dps, was actually one shotting some mobs, which I was not doing before and I have quite a bit of spirit. I was thinking of throwing in another offensive spell because I have so much spirit with quickening. Its wierd its like it goes off more then it used to when just using FOT. Before obviously it was bugged and went off with other spells, but now just using FOT it goes off enough.
Reply Quote
Here's what I do. Use deadly reach keep rune to open and get the 50% armor, then refresh mantra of conviction and burst with Hundred fist (lvl 44 rune) I forget along with blinding eye. Use your spirit on lashing tail kick stun to heal your self
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Armor buffs are multiplicative, aren't they?
Reply Quote
Hey guys!

I usually play in a group of 4 with 3 buddies of mine and inferno works out very well for us.
I m always using dual wield atm because 2handers simply are too slow and you will lose the additional 15% dodge (The Guardians Path - passive skill)which are very important if you don t use the evasion mantra.

This is what has worked out for me very well so far. With the Barb shout my resists are at 380 which brings me to 55% reduction or something... getting the reduction over 60 % doesn t seem to be effiecent since there is a soft cap. The same thing counts for Armor, Dodge. Above 50% dodge your Mantra only increases the dodge rate by 8 or less percent instead of the 15%.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdXgVQ!UZd!abbbYa

The exploding palm can do amazing dmg if the mobs have more than 1 mil. hp... but it doesn t seem to work every time on golden or blue mobs thou...

In my opinion there are many possiblities to be successful in inferno mode. The most important one is to have a solid good group of people who often play together so you get some good teamwork going. This is what really makes it easy and the item drops in a 4 man group are alot better than while soloing.

If i m soloing inferno this build has worked out very well for me:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdXgih!UZd!abbaZc

while soloing i really don t need the healing aura so i rather push my dodge rating to almost 70% which goes along very well with my 45k hp and 300 resists.
Edited by Ricx#2251 on 5/24/2012 2:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]