Diablo® III

Why Arcane Hydra?

90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm reading the forums and noticing that tons of people seem to be using Arcane Hydra for the slowing effect and for the life of me I am having a hard time figuring out why.

Sure the passive temporal flux makes it so that Arcane spells slow enemies by 30%

But Frost inherently has slowing effects. Not sure how slow it actually slows the mobs but whenever a mob is caught in blizzard or frost hydra or ray of frost they get slowed and snared.
Add to that the freed up passive slot from not having Temporal Flux and pick up Cold Blooded (Cold Damage dealt to cold or frozen targets increased by 20%)

Arcane Hydra 28% Weapon Damage and exploding Balls, with passive adds 30% slowing effect
Frost Hydra 31% Weaon Damage and a slow effect, add the 20% passive damage making Hydra now hit for 37.2% Weapon Damage ((31% * 20% ) = x + 31%) = 37.2

My Current spec uses the following
Arcane Orb - Tap the Source (reduce arcane power)
Blizzard- Unbound (reduce arcane power)
Hydra - Frost
Magic Weapon - Force Weapon
Familiar - Arcanot

Passives - Astral Presence Glass Cannon and Cold Blooded

I have pieces with Arcane Power on Crit that increases arcane power regen to the point I don't need a signature spell.

I plan to try out a spec using Ray of Frost instead of Arcane Orb to further utilize the Cold Blooded passive but was curious if I am simply missing something from Arcane Hydra that makes it so special.

TL:DR - Not sure why people use Arcane Hydra when you can use a Cold Blooded Passive for 20% more damage that increases Hydra damage and increases Blizzard damage which seems to be common as well.
Reply Quote
The arcane hydra has a vastly longer range than the frost hydra, that is why it is prefered, I don't believe it is related to damage at all.
Reply Quote
Because the Hydra is not the main part of the build, Arcane Orb + magic missile is
Reply Quote
Frost Hydra is a lot harder to use because it has a much shorter range.
Reply Quote
the frost hydra pretty much has melee range where as arcane is a sniper
Reply Quote
Frost Hydra is melee range unfortunately. And the slow doesn't even last a second -- the enemy will get unsnared in between the attacks haha.
Reply Quote
arcane hydra is also an aoe explosion not a cone therefore it can potentially hit a lot more mobs than a frost hydra. (at a much longer range too)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
arcane and venom hydras are the best.
Reply Quote
This is my current build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RbQlSf!Ydf!abZaZa (only lvl 51) and I can tell you that arcane hydra is the main damage component of my build.

I chose it because of the AoE damage that it provides. Slow is applied by blizzard.
I usually end up casting the two then running around kiting (when fighting elites/bosses)

I tried frost hydra for a while, but it is just too short range.
Lightning hydra I don't like because it is only single target.
Poison I'm also not sold on.

But I have been very impressed by hydra (the skill) and would highly reccommend it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
05/25/2012 03:51 AMPosted by Yolandi
arcane and venom hydras are the best.

Good reasoning there.....

05/25/2012 03:47 AMPosted by Deus
Frost Hydra is melee range unfortunately. And the slow doesn't even last a second -- the enemy will get unsnared in between the attacks haha.

Maybe not but each hit adds a slow, combine it with Blizzard or Ray of Frost as I just switched to , and the mobs are fully slowed constantly while adding 20% damage to an already higher damage hydra

05/25/2012 03:47 AMPosted by Kobra
arcane hydra is also an aoe explosion not a cone therefore it can potentially hit a lot more mobs than a frost hydra. (at a much longer range too)

Cones hit everything in front of them making them an aoe spell in itself

Only thing is again the range but just recast while you have t he snared from blizzard and snare them even more inside of the blizzard

05/25/2012 03:46 AMPosted by maomix
Because the Hydra is not the main part of the build, Arcane Orb + magic missile is

I can understand that
However what I am reasoning is that the slowing effects from the cold spells in general seemingly makes Temporal Flux a loss of 20% damage at least. When in fact
Ray of Frost hits harder than Arcane Orb (215% damage from Ray of frost and and 175% from Arcane Orb (228 if u use the rune but general I see people using Tap the source)

I just don't understand the reasoning behind having less damage and essentially the same slowing effects (also ray of frost rune Numb slows even farther 60%)
Reply Quote
Because on inferno you don't sit and channel anything (because you will most likely die if you do this), which excludes using ray of frost. And the elites move so fast that the melee range of frost hydra does mean a lot. It's more dmg and better snare that will just never be applied to the enemies without spamming the hydra at least twice as often, which means you are stopping twice more to recast the hydra. That makes the extra snare moot point.
Reply Quote
This is my build,
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#eRQXgS!XUg!aaZacZ

I use arcane hydra because it works with TF + disruption AT. Its my preferred kiting spec.
Reply Quote
Because on inferno you don't sit and channel anything (because you will most likely die if you do this), which excludes using ray of frost. And the elites move so fast that the melee range of frost hydra does mean a lot. It's more dmg and better snare that will just never be applied to the enemies without spamming the hydra at least twice as often, which means you are stopping twice more to recast the hydra. That makes the extra snare moot point.

This. Frost Hydra is not very good in inferno with its current range. I don't even play this Arcane spec but I'd never use Frost Hydra.
Reply Quote
MM + Arcane Orb (both spec for dmg) + AH = best kite spec you can buy.

Round off w/ defensives of your choice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]