Diablo® III

[Important] Source of High Latency /Ping /Lag

Important!! When submitting requests for help that are related to Network Latency, please include your FULL router make/model #, network card make/model # (from device manager) and DSL/Cable modem make/model #. Also include your geographical location, day of the week and the time of day of the occurrence.

---------- PORT FORWARDING ----------

Do NOT foward ANY ports. They are NOT required to play Diablo 3!!! You are exposing your network to unnecessary risks!

Do NOT put your computer in the DMZ, and do NOT connect your computer to your modem directly. Only use DMZ/direct connection if you are absolutely CERTAIN that you have a functioning firewall installed on your PC.

This document is HIGHLY misleading, and poorly worded, which is leading to the confusion: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/firewall-configuration-for-blizzard-games

This document only lists OUTBOUND ports, in case you are in a secure environment (ie: work/school) and need an administrator to allow those OUTBOUND connections only.

---------- D-LINK ROUTERS ----------

If you have a D-Link router, see this thread/post: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235703921?page=2#23

However, some people in another thread have said it does not work: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150107465 Some users in other threads have attributed this to slow <3mbps internet connections, but no clear verification.

If you still cannot get your D-Link router to work, but it works in DMZ/direct connection, one option is to install DD-WRT on your router if it is supported. However, DD-WRT is 3rd party unsupported firmware, which could lead to a bricked router and voided warranty. Only use this at your own risk and with proper research. Also, dd-wrt isn't recommended for fast connection 15mbit+, without a fast router cpu. This is because it runs a busybox linux kernel, which is slightly intensive.

---------- OLDER/NON-COMPLIANT ROUTERS ----------

If you have an older router, you may experience TCP connection issues. This link may be of some service (must run in IE6 or higher). Make sure the router passes the 'Traffic Congestion Test' (ECN support): http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

Also, see this specific post: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149542858?page=1#13

I'm not recommendeing you run out right away and buy a new 100$ router, use your discretion when selecting a price range and router appropriate to your interne connection speed. Generally, the faster your internet (ie: 20mbps), the faster the router cpu you need. Some research will be required.

Furthermore, there is NO GUARANTEE that this is your problem.

However, of interest is that ER1COFWAR did make a slight mention to an Atheros Wireless network card. I have also seen compatibility problem between older Atheros cards and older Broadcom router chipsets.

---------- TRACEROUTE ----------

tracert us.actual.battle.net
Perform SEVERAL traceroutes, not just one.

Do NOT use pathping. The reason behind this is that pathping uses icmp 0, 8 which several routers will block and you will get a 'Request timed out'.

tracert uses icmp 0, 11 (TTL exceeded) which most routers WILL return.

It is normal for the last few hops to time-out. These are Blizzard routers and they do not return icmp responses.

The greatest offenders seem to be these servers, belonging to AT&T, upstream from Blizzard. Here are just 3 examples:

21 129 ms * 119 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
22 117 ms 118 ms 329 ms 12-122-254-234.attens.net [12.122.254.234]

21 266 ms 265 ms 134 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
22 128 ms * 134 ms 12-122-254-238.attens.net [12.122.254.238]

21 294 ms 128 ms 238 ms gar29.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.241]
22 * 217 ms 134 ms 12-122-254-234.attens.net [12.122.254.234]

There is also definitely congestion on the Blizzard network. However, since those routers do not return icmp responses, they can only be diagnosed using the in-game ping mechanism.

Comparing tracerts to in-game pings leads to the assumption that about half of the lag is due to Blizzard's internal routers/servers being over capacity.

---------- CONCLUSION ----------

So, before you go trying to fix what ISN'T broken on your end, i suggest you wait a few months before buying (never pre-order. it makes companies lazy, once they have the money in their hands), so Blizzard can fix the issues on THEIR end.

Otherwise it is impossible to separate their issues from customer issues and everyone will just end up wasting a LOT of time on this nonsense.

As a final mention: Response times do seem to be gradually improving as time progresses, but the issues have not yet been completely eradicated.
Edited by betatrash#1974 on 6/17/2012 5:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sticky this thread please, so we can eliminate a lot of the confusion on these forums.
Reply Quote
Yep
Reply Quote
Wow you want this to be a sticky for what? It clearly states this in the article:

What ports and settings are required?
In order to connect to Battle.net and allow others to connect to games you create, make sure you have the following ports through Local Area Network set up as described below:

TCP PORTS

UDP PORTS

Blizzard Downloader
1119, 1120, 3724, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, 6881-6999
1119, 1120, 3724, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, and 6881-6999

Diablo
6112-6119
6112-6119

Diablo II
6112 and 4000
None

Diablo III
80, 1119, and 6881-6999
1119, 6881-6999

StarCraft

StarCraft II
1119, 6113, 1120, 80, and 3724
1119, 6113, 1120, 80, and 3724

Warcraft II Battle.net Edition
6112-6119
6112-6119

Warcraft III
6112 (Default) and 6113-6119
None

World of Warcraft Launcher, Game and Background Downloader
3724, 1119, 1120, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, 80, and 6881-6999
3724, 1119, 1120, 4000, 6112, 6113, 6114, 80, and 6881-6999

Battle.net being the game servers, so how would not opening these ports help you to connect to the Battle.net game servers?
Reply Quote
you are misreading the article... no... more likely the article is poorly worded and is leading to confusion. i'm a network engineer...

please edit your post and remove all that, we don't need it here, it is already in the article... it's wasting space. also, tell blizzard to fix that article, it sucks.
Edited by betatrash#1974 on 5/25/2012 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
can i get a confirmation from blue that this is a problem? blizzard server/router capacity and upstream AT&T routers?

if not, i have no choice but to assume that blizzard thinks they can fix these issues with some 'network magic' and don't fully understand the scope of the problem.

thanks.
Reply Quote
Good luck getting a response. Many of us have been trying to get some kind of acknowledgement, however they are refusing to do so. At this point I am assuming they cannot resolve the issue and are hoping that as less and less people are logging in as time goes by, the issue will go away. As someone who works in support, I understand that sometimes just stating that you are aware of the issue and are working on it will soothe some people. They wont even bother to do that. I have held Blizzard's support to a high regard in the past, my opinion has changed very recently.
Reply Quote
bump. still awaiting blue response.
Reply Quote
Support rep told me everyone, including him has an average of 300ms ping and that it is considered "normal" at Blizzard. So if you have 200-400 latency with odd spikes, they don't consider it a latency problem.
Reply Quote
nope. that's not what i mean. i want acknowledgement of the shoddy AT&T servers, and furthermore congestion on the blizzard routers/servers which is causing further lag spikes.

i don't care if they consider it normal, just acknowledge it and stop lying to people.
Reply Quote
I don't think you get what I mean. They consider the 300ms latency normal, meaning "working as intended". The support rep did acknowledge it to me, by saying basically "that's normal, what's your problem?"
Reply Quote
05/26/2012 09:50 AMPosted by MyLittlePwny
I don't think you get what I mean. They consider the 300ms latency normal, meaning "working as intended". The support rep did acknowledge it to me, by saying basically "that's normal, what's your problem?"

05/26/2012 09:40 AMPosted by MyLittlePwny
Support rep told me everyone, including him has an average of 300ms ping and that it is considered "normal" at Blizzard. So if you have 200-400 latency with odd spikes, they don't consider it a latency problem.

seriously? how about spike up to 800/1200/1500 almost every time the game has to load a new scene? also normal?
Reply Quote
again, this has nothing to do with your/their definition of 'normal'...

if dropped packets and unstable pings on AT&T routers are normal, then please acknowledge this.

if further congestion on the blizzard network is normal, then acknowledge this as well...

i really don't care what normal is at this point...
Reply Quote
You wont get a response, this is above any blues capability apparently.
Edited by BelowZero#1346 on 5/26/2012 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
again, this has nothing to do with your/their definition of 'normal'...

if dropped packets and unstable pings on AT&T routers are normal, then please acknowledge this.

if further congestion on the blizzard network is normal, then acknowledge this as well...

i really don't care what normal is at this point...

I agree with you. It's unacceptable. All I'm trying to tell you is that Blizzard isn't going to acknowledge it because they have decided it's fine.
Reply Quote
beastcleave: post a tracreroute if you are in the US, connecting to the only US server: west coast.
Reply Quote
Blizzard can't do much about AT&T failing, however if you contact them they have been informed.

My wife and I both play at the same time with a stable 50ms response with a 20-40Mbs down and 1 Mbs up. On rare instances we get 100ms, but only when 50 or more mobs on screen.

Docsis 3 modems, which only about 1% of users probably own, have SPI filtering on them. If you manually turn this off it solves a lot of issues.

As for the do not port forward, well that's user opinion.
The rest is pretty accurate.
Reply Quote
AirRhino: Please do NOT spread misinformation here.

AT&T is upstream from the blizzard routers, which means that in some way, shape or form, they are responsible, either because they lease the bandwidth from AT&T, or they are their ISP.

as for disabling SPI firewall, BAD IDEA bro. even if you have firewalls installed in windows, the first thing viruses/trojans do is disable your antivirus/firewall in windows...

port forwarding ISN'T user opinion. it is fact. no port forwarding required.

btw, you and you wife must be 10 hops from the servers on a different route, playing during off-peak hours. your experience is in the MINORITY.
Reply Quote
Blizzard definitely CAN help if the problem is with ATT. ATT is Blizzard's ISP. You know all those times they tell us to call our ISP? They need to do the same.

Even if they weren't Blizzard's ISP. Believe me, if Blizzard put pressure on them they'd fix it.

Also, I still think ATT is only part of the problem. Server capacity or bad optimization is the other cause. I get the same latency to ATT at 4am when I have a 100ms ping and at any other time when I have a 400ms ping. I think ATT is responsible for about 100ms of the latency we're all experiencing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]