Diablo® III

Damage Calculator Spreadsheet

This spreadsheet calculates the damage displayed in the tooltip simply by entering the attributes of your gear, as well calculating an "average hit" (not including weapon speed).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtJnAcUh3qX9dDU1Y01MSnFkSVA3R1FZWVpHSnBzRFE

Feel free to compare to this screenshot which shows the exact same displayed damage (3712.29)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skweuuppj1tf1fi/Screenshot050.jpg

Notes:
* Gems do not update displayed weapon damage properly
* Bonuses from Magic Weapon do not update the displayed damage properly

The in-game damage tooltip uses this simple formula :

(1 + passive skill boosts)(Average Weapon Damage (including damage bonuses)(1 + (main stat / 100)(1 + ( crit% * crit damage)(Attack Speed)

I'm guessing this would work for other classes by replacing Int with another primary stat, but I don't know.
Reply Quote
I threw in some rough numbers and in terms of damage per hit (not including attack speed) :

+1 Damage =
+7 Intelligence =
+.85% chance to crit =
+12.8 % crit damage

To increase the displayed damage tooltip :
+1 damage =
+ 7.4 Intelligence =
+.86 % chance to crit =
+.86 attack speed =
+13% crit damage
Edited by Tetrodotoxin#1118 on 5/26/2012 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Spreadsheet continues to be accurate after today's patch.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtJnAcUh3qX9dFJLWS1pZ1BUWWNCRkwxa3o2UGRlT0E
(my personal updated copy)

Updated screenshot from Hell :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4szajhx5a102v0a/Screenshot057.jpg
Reply Quote
Some points for you to consider:

I believe any bonuses on a weapon are directly included in that weapon's damage range and listed attack speed, and as a result they stack differently with other stats. In other words, I believe the formula looks like this:

(1 + passive A) (1 + passive B) ... (average damage + bonus damage) (listed weapon speed) (1 + speed from armor) (1 + primary stat/100) (1 + crit * crit bonus)

Would that resolve the discrepancies you're seeing?
Reply Quote
Hey, I really appreciate the spreadsheet - thanks!

Could you do me a favor, though, and provide a link to the source where you got your formulas though?
Reply Quote

Could you do me a favor, though, and provide a link to the source where you got your formulas though?

I started with the formula that you post here :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149181464?page=1

When that didn't work, I started from scratch until I saw where you went wrong.
Reply Quote
Some points for you to consider:

I believe any bonuses on a weapon are directly included in that weapon's damage range and listed attack speed, and as a result they stack differently with other stats. In other words, I believe the formula looks like this:

(1 + passive A) (1 + passive B) ... (average damage + bonus damage) (listed weapon speed) (1 + speed from armor) (1 + primary stat/100) (1 + crit * crit bonus)

Would that resolve the discrepancies you're seeing?

I included a note further down on the spreadsheet that says "Copy minimum and maximum damage from weapon tooltip (which includes elemental bonuses, any weapon attack speed bonus, and inserted gem)"

You insert the damage range of the weapon and any intelligence it has. All other stats are included in that damage range. Gems are also included, they simply do not increase the range as much as what is listed on the gem. I'll take some screenshots to illustrate and post them later but basically ... if the gem says "+13-26 damage", it will add 13 to the minimum range but only add 14 or so to the max damage rather than 26.
Reply Quote

I started with the formula that you post here :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149181464?page=1

When that didn't work, I started from scratch until I saw where you went wrong.

What was wrong with it?
Reply Quote
This is what you have posted :

(1 + passive skill boosts)*(Weapon DPS + ((minimum damage bonus + maximum damage bonus)/2)*Attack Speed)*(Weapon Damage Multipliers)*(Attack Speed / Weapon Speed)*(1 + ( crit% * crit damage %))*( 1 + (main stat / 100))

It's actually less complicated :
(1 + passive skill boosts)*(Average Weapon Damage + Average damage bonus)*(Attack Speed)*(1 + ( crit% * crit damage %))*( 1 + (main stat / 100))
Reply Quote
They're the same formula (minus on error in Rolfson's that's already known). The only differences are in shuffling factors of speed around and combining terms.
Reply Quote
bump for subscribe. Thanks for the work!
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
I think when there's +attack speed on the weapon the calculation gets messed up a little...it looks like it rolls that value up into the attack speed listed on the tooltip for the weapon.

Example: My weapon lists 1.73 speed with +15% increase. This works out to a 1.5 speed +15%. If I put 1.5 in the attack speed field everything works.

I added a column just for the weapon that rolls up into "Weapon Speed" that figures what the original speed is and it seems to stay true with the weapons I've tested.

ROUND((Listed speed)/(1+(Listed Speed Increase)),2) = Real weapon speed
Reply Quote
Yes, because attack speed on weapon is rolled into the listed speed, there's a slight error in the spreadsheet: cell F8 (attack speed bonus) should not sum from F9 down, because F9 is the weapon attack speed bonus that should already have been factored in. F8 should just be attack speed from armor if it's going to be used in F1.
Reply Quote
Are % dmg bonuses (i.e. 5% dmg to elites, 10% on x skill) additive in the passive skill boost cell?
Reply Quote
Tried this out. It's off by 100-200 but it's more or less right, maybe I'm inputting something wrong.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:35 AMPosted by Vlare
Tried this out. It's off by 100-200 but it's more or less right, maybe I'm inputting something wrong.

I made a similar one, http://mmo-mechanics.com/diablo/compare.php , should be accurate.
Reply Quote
I think when there's +attack speed on the weapon the calculation gets messed up a little...it looks like it rolls that value up into the attack speed listed on the tooltip for the weapon.

Example: My weapon lists 1.73 speed with +15% increase. This works out to a 1.5 speed +15%. If I put 1.5 in the attack speed field everything works.

I added a column just for the weapon that rolls up into "Weapon Speed" that figures what the original speed is and it seems to stay true with the weapons I've tested.

ROUND((Listed speed)/(1+(Listed Speed Increase)),2) = Real weapon speed

You are correct. I added a note explaining that these things were included. However, I have updated the spreadsheet to make that more obvious and to make sure it isn't included in the calculation.
Reply Quote
They're the same formula (minus on error in Rolfson's that's already known). The only differences are in shuffling factors of speed around and combining terms.

You are completely correct. In retrospect, I'm not sure the difference between "works" and "doesn't work" was worth the effort. Thank you for your contribution to this discussion.

As for my comment about gems not displaying properly, here are some screenshots.

Without gem :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ut3e45szov3a8f/Screenshot061.jpg

Adding a gem that is +13-26 :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5yi7iobnsf25rq/Screenshot063.jpg

The minimum damage went up 13 as expected, however the maximum damage went from 193 to 206. A change of 13 rather than 26, an increase in average damage of 13 rather than the expected 19.5.
Reply Quote
05/30/2012 07:54 AMPosted by Tetrodotoxin

You are completely correct. In retrospect, I'm not sure the difference between "works" and "doesn't work" was worth the effort. Thank you for your contribution to this discussion.

With all due respect, not trying to bring a battle to the thread, that "error" was caught very quickly on, before your spreadsheet was published. And even with the "error", damage would have been off by < 1% for all intents and purposes
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin

You are correct. I added a note explaining that these things were included. However, I have updated the spreadsheet to make that more obvious and to make sure it isn't included in the calculation.

Oh I see it now. I just got confused because it still looked like the sheet wanted me to enter it in several places anyway.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]