Diablo® III

D3Prefs.txt

I was doing a routine tidy-up on my computer and discovered a folder called 'Diablo III' had appeared in my 'My Documents' folder.

This folder contained a file called 'D3Prefs.txt'

When I deleted the 'Diablo III' folder from 'My Documents' the next time I started Diablo, my screen resolution was reset to some silly resolution like 800x600

After I had changed my preferences I noticed that the 'Diablo III' folder and the file 'D3Prefs.txt' had reappeared in my 'My Documents' folder

I there any way to force the 'D3Prefs.txt' file to be saved in a more suitable folder, like 'C:\Program Files\Diablo III' rather than bunging up 'My Documents'?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Ermm, well, depending on several factors, you could make it not "appear" in your my documents folder (so its not bunging it up) by making it a "hidden" folder, but that won't work if you took the training wheels off of Windows and have show hidden stuff enabled like most of us do...

Other than that if you want the file *physically* stored elsewhere (I'm not thinking of any real reasons to want this, really.) you could use the MKLINK command to NTFS Junction it onto another drive, or into another folder on the same drive, but the folder and file will still "show" in your My Documents folder, even though they live elsewhere. As above you could "hide" them, but that only works if you left the training wheels on...

Begin Rant:

Who uses My Documents anyway? I mean REALLY now... There's at least 5 better places to put your things(files) that don't involve a 2nd HDD, and probably 30 or more that do... Now if they whacked the folder/file onto my Desktop, then sure, I'd be right there with you, holding my +5 Pitchfork of Stabbing and waving the +9 Torch of Cremation...

End Rant.

But I do agree that the file belongs somewhere else, like \%APPDATA%\ "My Games" or the like. They *PROBABLY* chose to put it in My Documents because of the Draconian default UAC settings of Vista/7/8... Again, though, if you took the training wheels off this isn't an issue...
Edited by FunkEngine#1495 on 5/27/2012 6:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi, did you find a way to move it somewhere else than MyDocuments? Pls help, having similar thoughts on this...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]