Diablo® III

Video Card Unsupported - Can't Play Diablo 3

05/15/2012 07:41 PMPosted by VincentLaw
That brings us nowhere closer to having a solution. There's no need to rub anything in anybody's face, we just want to play the game.

It doesn't bring you closer to a solution because there isn't one. I'm not rubbing it in your face, I'm telling you the truth you refuse to accept. Tons of people get on this forum with a sense of entitlement, that they deserve to be able to play this on their old computer, when that's simply not true.

A $400 PC from 4 years ago simply does not cut it. You get what you pay for, and now you're paying the price for getting a low end machine back then. It's unfortunate, but that's life.

You know absolutely nothing. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that costed me $900 and I'm still running into the same problem. The video board has ZERO relation to how cheap or expensive the computer is. For the people that are actually here trying to solve this issue instead of frustrating others, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done if you have a laptop. They do NOT make video cards for laptops to be sold separately anymore, but they do for desktop computers. A good video board that will give you high performance for DIablo 3 will run between $100 and $200, which isn't that bad. I, instead, will have to either buy a new laptop (which I would hate to do because my laptop is still fantastic, aside from the video board issue), or buy a desktop computer, which is less useful but will cost me about half of what a laptop would. Between my collector's edition and the desktop computer, I will end up spending about $500 just to play the game. I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks to be able to buy the computer and start playing. I wish there was something else any of us could do, but there isn't
Reply Quote
Here is the lowdown of it.

For laptop users- I know you don't want to hear it but it is most likely going to be that your video card is not powerful enough. I know, I know. You have a super ultra Nvidia or ATI that supposedly has the same graphical power as its desktop counterpart, right? WRONG. Here is a link with a good video from Rodney Reynolds describing the differences:

http://www.rodneyreynolds.com/forum/posts/2010/06/05/desktop-graphics-card-vs-laptop-card

In short-You are pretty much going to be in the boat with the rest of the laptop users around the world of "I am going to need to play this on a desktop" which is really what games are still meant to be played on. Now, unless you have a really new Alienware $2000+ computer, you are grouped into this category.

For desktop users-You are the lucky ones. Since today's desktops are so interchangeable with parts from Fry's, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, Newegg, etc, it would actually be very simple to find the solution. There are 2 usual problems that affect desktop performance:

1.) Video Card-this is most likely the problem. If you are running an offbrand or older video card that says it is pushing 1GB but you got it from somewhere like microcenter plus, chances are it's not doing what it says it will do. It's really cheap nowadays to buy a decent mid-high level graphics card without breaking your bank. An example would be the ATI Radeon HD5870 (this is my personal card and 2.5 years ago, I paid $300 for this bad boy. Today, it is around $60-$80.) or an Nvidia 500 series. These are cheap, easy, and POWERFUL and will get you where you need to be after the drivers are updated on it.

2.) Processor-this is not usually a problem unless you are running an older dual core or a single core processor. Nowadays, a quad core processor and a really good mother board can be acquired in a package deal from Newegg.com for $85-$200. This is where you don't want to be cheap. A great processor can last you for years and years as long as you don't overclock it.

If you get those two things new, you've essentially bought a new computer.
Reply Quote
thats nothing i bought the collectors ed. ...... and my computer i just got of xmas... specs are
windows 7 , 3.1 ghz X4 quad 4processors, 4gb memory, but the video card is on the unsusported list .!! just my luck.... now i need a new video card. its also hooked up to my 55 led 3d tv!! cant wait to play very upset about the whole situation spent plenty of money and yet have to spend more..... brand new computer :(... not looking forward to buying video card!
Reply Quote
thats nothing i bought the collectors ed. ...... and my computer i just got of xmas... specs are
windows 7 , 3.1 ghz X4 quad 4processors, 4gb memory, but the video card is on the unsusported list .!! just my luck.... now i need a new video card. its also hooked up to my 55 led 3d tv!! cant wait to play very upset about the whole situation spent plenty of money and yet have to spend more..... brand new computer :(... not looking forward to buying video card!

You can get a really good one for cheap nowadays. Check out my above post.
Reply Quote
It goes without saying that pretty much anything that isn't dedicated graphics is not supported. The intel 965 series wont even run WoW without tweaking it, and Blizzard has given everyone an idea what to expect for a while now. You may have a two year old computer when you bought it, but that doesn't mean that hardware isnt almost 7 years old. The last time the 965 was updated with drivers from Intel was in 2007, almost 5 years ago.
Reply Quote
For those on a budget with desktops, the best solution (and I know you don't want to hear this) is a non integrated video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600083901%20600144219&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%206670

You can pick up a 6670 DDR3 (make sure you get the one with ddr3 ram as it is faster) for 47 bucks right now with shipping and it will run this game extremely well. Add to that you don't need a new power supply as the card is really good on power usage and will work with the power supply already in your machine. As far as installation, it is a breeze. Just wear rubber shoes, touch the case (ground) before grabbing the card and installing it.

For those with laptops? Yeah you are in a tough bind. I am sure more cards will be supported later, and optimization will only get better. Integrated cards are never good to game with, and laptop video cards are nowhere close to the power of their desktop counterpart of the same family. If anyone can find a better deal on a 6670 DDR3, link it for people. Best budget card there is atm.
Reply Quote
i still have to open my computer up to see what type of video card... i'm guessing pci express
Reply Quote
For those on a budget with desktops, the best solution (and I know you don't want to hear this) is a non integrated video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600083901%20600144219&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%206670

You can pick up a 6670 DDR3 (make sure you get the one with ddr3 ram as it is faster) for 47 bucks right now with shipping and it will run this game extremely well. Add to that you don't need a new power supply as the card is really good on power usage and will work with the power supply already in your machine. As far as installation, it is a breeze. Just wear rubber shoes, touch the case (ground) before grabbing the card and installing it.

For those with laptops? Yeah you are in a tough bind. I am sure more cards will be supported later, and optimization will only get better. Integrated cards are never good to game with, and laptop video cards are nowhere close to the power of their desktop counterpart of the same family. If anyone can find a better deal on a 6670 DDR3, link it for people. Best budget card there is atm.

IM wondering if i BUY a NVIDIA 8400 will it support this game ? im getting really pissed i have spent over 100 bucks already on this game and im trying to get up to "par" but no help from tech support
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
After waiting my whole life to download this to find out i cant even play it on a computer thats less than a year old? LOOKS like its gonna be WOW for me!!! ugh im so mad right now:(
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 05:42 AMPosted by TimBoSlice
NVIDIA 8400

The 8400 is a very, very slow video card and is nowhere close to a 6670. The 6670 is better then a gts 450.

Some rules of thumb for video cards. The SECOND number is the most important as long as the families aren't really far apart (this applies to ATI as well). GTS = budget card. So a GTX 260 is WAY faster then a 8400, and faster then a GTS 450. A gtx 460 on the other hand is really damn fast (if you can still find one). Problem with cards like that and up though, are that you may need a new power supply if you have a dell etc, with a cheap powersupply. In that case the 6670 is the best option.

Tom's hardware has benchmarks for the video cards and the 6670 can play the game at the highest settings with decent framerates. Something like a 8400? Would be at the extreme low end. An 8800 GT? Prob could play at medium.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't understand why Blizzard would have not just taken the supported hardware list that they use in WoW and incorporated it into D3....it's a mystery to me...it's not like they don't have all the data they need to have done it this way, instead of risking pi**ing off thousands (or more) PAYING customers....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 05:18 AMPosted by Theenternet
In short-You are pretty much going to be in the boat with the rest of the laptop users around the world of "I am going to need to play this on a desktop" which is really what games are still meant to be played on. Now, unless you have a really new Alienware $2000+ computer, you are grouped into this category.

desktops? doesn't Blizz read the trade mags? desktops are like 8tracks! Acouple more years and hardware manufacturers won't even be making desktops....
Reply Quote
OK LAST TRY WHAT ABOUT THE NVIDIA 210 ? PLZ I DONT CARE IF I HAVE TO PLAY ON MED SETTINGS I JUST WANT TO PLAY :P
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 05:51 AMPosted by Galadriël
I don't understand why Blizzard would have not just taken the supported hardware list that they use in WoW and incorporated it into D3....it's a mystery to me...it's not like they don't have all the data they need to have done it this way, instead of risking pi**ing off thousands (or more) PAYING customers....

Completely different game engines. WoW is built on the Warcraft 3 engine if I remember right. As I said previously though, some of these cards will most likely be supported later and they will probably add lower graphics settings.

For those with desktops? If you are gaming with integrated graphics? Pony up and spend 40-50 bucks on the 6670 DDR3. You will have a much better gaming experience. You can't even compare integrated graphics to even low end dedicated cards.

Laptops? That is just the way they are. You can get a decent gaming laptop without spending a grand. You do, however have to do research on the purchase and read reviews etc. Integrated graphics and gaming is a big no no though. Integrated graphics are made to do one thing. Let you surf the internet and watch dvd's/movies. Anything past that? Not good.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 06:01 AMPosted by Brucelee
Laptops? That is just the way they are. You can get a decent gaming laptop without spending a grand. You do, however have to do research on the purchase and read reviews etc. Integrated graphics and gaming is a big no no though. Integrated graphics are made to do one thing. Let you surf the internet and watch dvd's/movies. Anything past that? Not good.

I've been playing WoW on a laptop for 4 years, never an issue...as far as the warcraft 3 engine, I get that, but what I was saying is simply the LIST of video drivers, the could have easily used the same list of what to support. You can't build a business (game) on speculation of what your customers will/could do in the future. They dropped the ball on this one, they should have been inclusive and considered ALL their PAYING customers.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 05:59 AMPosted by TimBoSlice
OK LAST TRY WHAT ABOUT THE NVIDIA 210 ? PLZ I DONT CARE IF I HAVE TO PLAY ON MED SETTINGS I JUST WANT TO PLAY :P

Second number matters the most. A 1 is a very poor gaming card. Do you live near a microcenter or a frye's (think that is how you spell it)?

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricehigh&N=4294966938%2B37

70 bucks at microcenter if you have one by you, and you really can't compare performance to a 210.
Reply Quote
ya i have one its a lil drive but i think i might go check it out
Reply Quote
My answer from the last thread I was in applies here:

"You have a 5 year old integrated graphics chip that was never meant to play games. It could not have played the latest release from 2007, even on low settings. And yet you come here to complain that it won't play a game released in 2012? Sorry, but you got completely ripped off if you bought the thing new less than a year ago."

Now maybe you didn't buy it a year ago, but the rest applies. The simple fact is that you do not have the processing power to run this game. End of story.
Reply Quote
hey on micro center site were you talking about the nvidia gt 430?
sorry im not crazy educated in this department lol
-------------
thx for all the help guys, your helping a vet. be able to play lol
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 06:12 AMPosted by TimBoSlice
ya i have one its a lil drive but i think i might go check it out

Yeah they might have an open box deal (they have them all the time).

If they don't have an affordable 6670 get a gts 450 (low as I would go). It isn't much slower then the 6670. If they have something like an open box gtx 460 for around the same price? Grab that sucker, you got the deal of a lifetime as long as you have a decent 400-500 watt power supply.

Ask someone to help you and say you want at least the power of a gts 450, and as cheap as possible. They will help you out. :) Just don't let them talk you into something so powerful that you need a new power supply lol. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]