Diablo® III

Video Card Unsupported - Can't Play Diablo 3

My answer from the last thread I was in applies here:

"You have a 5 year old integrated graphics chip that was never meant to play games. It could not have played the latest release from 2007, even on low settings. And yet you come here to complain that it won't play a game released in 2012? Sorry, but you got completely ripped off if you bought the thing new less than a year ago."

Now maybe you didn't buy it a year ago, but the rest applies. The simple fact is that you do not have the processing power to run this game. End of story.

IF you were addressing me ? ( since you did not really say who ) i can and have been playing the game with dual core just a tad slow for me and tech support told me just up the graphics card and ill be fine
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
My answer from the last thread I was in applies here:"You have a 5 year old integrated graphics chip that was never meant to play games. It could not have played the latest release from 2007, even on low settings. And yet you come here to complain that it won't play a game released in 2012? Sorry, but you got completely ripped off if you bought the thing new less than a year ago."Now maybe you didn't buy it a year ago, but the rest applies. The simple fact is that you do not have the processing power to run this game. End of story.

The SIMPLE fact is, Blizzard roped thousands of PAYING customers into committing to WoW for a year, based on the availability of D3. They just wanted to keep people occupied while they prepared MoP (after a really crappy Cata release). This was a tease, and if they do the same "upgrades" to MoP, they'll have a customer revolt I'm sure. End of story.
Reply Quote
http://www.hwcompare.com/7607/geforce-gt-430-oem-vs-geforce-gts-450/

hey on micro center site were you talking about the nvidia gt 430?
sorry im not crazy educated in this department lol
-------------
thx for all the help guys, your helping a vet. be able to play lol

The GTS 450 is at least twice as fast in everything and in some cases much faster then that. GTS 450 will run this game really nicely. gt 430 not so much.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Paladin
05/15/2012 07:41 PMPosted by VincentLaw
That brings us nowhere closer to having a solution. There's no need to rub anything in anybody's face, we just want to play the game.

It doesn't bring you closer to a solution because there isn't one. I'm not rubbing it in your face, I'm telling you the truth you refuse to accept. Tons of people get on this forum with a sense of entitlement, that they deserve to be able to play this on their old computer, when that's simply not true.

A $400 PC from 4 years ago simply does not cut it. You get what you pay for, and now you're paying the price for getting a low end machine back then. It's unfortunate, but that's life.

Actually, a 4 year old PC would play d3 just fine -- if it were top of the line.

Also, just to play devil's advocate a bit, the 965 Intel Chipset is NOT on their list of unsupported graphics cards.
Reply Quote
Are all you people new to gaming? I understand your frustrations, but you're aiming at the wrong people. Blizzard are not to blame, only you are.

Modern games require a modern graphics card. Do you see people buying Skyrim and Crysis 2 and saying "ZOMG why doesn't my $2 graphics card work?".

If you didn't know that your computer lacked the requirements then you need to stop being angry and do some research, we're not going to do all the work for you and spoon-feed you information.

Let me address some common issues.

Yeah but my integrated graphics...
Stop right there. Forget it. Integrated graphics is a complex way of saying "this machine cannot run games". If you have integrated graphics and are able to run Diablo III, grats, you're one of the few. Otherwise do not depend on integrated graphics.

But I run WoW fine!
World of Warcraft is about 8 years old and a calculator can run it. It's an extremely outdated and simple graphics engine that doesn't require much. Diablo III is brand new and will require some more power. Diablo III is not cutting edge technology, so you don't need a beast to run it, but you should get a dedicated graphics card and meet the minimum requirements.

It's Blizzard's fault for...
Stop right there. No. It isn't. You need to check your own specs to make sure you meet the requirements. Blizzard cannot support every god-awful card on the market or every card from the 1970s. It is your responsibility to make sure your machine can run the game.

Blizzard needs to look out for their customers!
Yes, and they are trying to accommodate everyone. But realise that you are not the centre of the universe. 99% of the Diablo 3 community is happily playing without issue. Blizzard have done quite a reasonable job to make a stable, smooth game. There will always be problems, but it's usually the result of a poor quality machine, incompatible software, or some other misunderstanding on the user's behalf. I'm not saying that Blizzard is flawless and I'm not fanboying them. But look at it both ways, it's not always the other guy's fault.

But my laptop runs other games!
That's great, but it can't run them all. That doesn't make it Blizzard's fault, your laptop is just at the limit of its abilities. Laptops are NOT very good at running games unless you buy a gaming laptop. To run Diablo III you'll probably want to spend $800 (minimum) or $1000+ and have a dedicated graphics card. If you didn't buy a 'gaming' laptop then don't expect it to run Diablo III well.

What graphics card should I get? I don't have much money.
You can spend under $100 if you have a desktop computer (PC). Do some research, help us help you. Come back and say "I think I should get this one because..." and give us your reasons to show us that you've done your homework, then we can help you. We won't do all the hard work.

But why won't they let me at least try with my card?
I'm not sure, but it's possible that your card is literally incapable of doing something important, and therefore the game can't even start. Either that or it's Blizzard's way of saying "This card really, really won't work; we promise".

I have never asked for likes, but if this helps you, feel free to do so. I will continue to answer questions if I'm able.
Edited by Locust#6730 on 5/16/2012 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
this well solve all of your problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlqieM_bgc&list=UUJ1rSlahM7TYWGxEscL0g7Q&index=3&feature=plcp
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Galvadin

It doesn't bring you closer to a solution because there isn't one. I'm not rubbing it in your face, I'm telling you the truth you refuse to accept. Tons of people get on this forum with a sense of entitlement, that they deserve to be able to play this on their old computer, when that's simply not true.

A $400 PC from 4 years ago simply does not cut it. You get what you pay for, and now you're paying the price for getting a low end machine back then. It's unfortunate, but that's life.

Actually, a 4 year old PC would play d3 just fine -- if it were top of the line.

Also, just to play devil's advocate a bit, the 965 Intel Chipset is NOT on their list of unsupported graphics cards.

Yeah to be honest it doesn't even need to be top of the line. My e8400 at 4ghz has slaughtered everything in front of it (gaming wise) and I built it at least 4 years ago. Cost a whole 500 bucks and the only upgrade I ever got for it was a GTX 260 that was on sale to replace the older 8800gt. It maxes this game. :)

As long as you have a duocore at close to 3ghz, or a quad or up anywhere close to 3ghz? This game is going to fly with even a 6670.

Integrated cards weren't made for gaming. It is just the truth. Noone is trying to be mean to anyone here. We are just saying? Spend 40-50 bucks online and get a 6670 or go to a fryes/microcenter and get a gts 450 or 6670 (6670 is faster) for 60-70 bucks.

If you have a laptop? Not all laptops are good for gaming. If you want to game on any laptop you should read online reviews and look for the best available deal. The CPU in a laptop is already slower then a desktop (heat), and clocked lower. Adding integrated graphics on top of that? Don't expect any newer game to run well at all.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
@ Locust

I understand what you are saying, and I accept the fact that I play on a crappy old (4 years) Laptop. Here's what I DON'T like about all this: Blizzard got thousands of their loyal paying customers to commit to a year "subscription" to WoW with the promise of D3. I don't care if it runs or not. Years ago I played the original Diablo...never really liked it, and stopped. The fact that I can't run D3 is unimportant to me. I just don't like the way Blizzard approached WoW customers. Thats all...

BTW, your post was VERY informative and helpful, thank you
Reply Quote
I'm also not a big fan of gimmicky deals like buying a year's subscription of WoW. I was cautious of it and stayed away. That's just my preference though, I don't like 'contracts' wherever I can avoid them.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 05:55 AMPosted by Galadriël
In short-You are pretty much going to be in the boat with the rest of the laptop users around the world of "I am going to need to play this on a desktop" which is really what games are still meant to be played on. Now, unless you have a really new Alienware $2000+ computer, you are grouped into this category.

desktops? doesn't Blizz read the trade mags? desktops are like 8tracks! Acouple more years and hardware manufacturers won't even be making desktops....

Are you serious? I mean, if you were exaggerating some, please let me know. I have been in the IT world in the military and civilian world since I was 12 years old (obviously, Military started at 18 for me) and now I am going on 27. Desktops being like 8-tracks? Shifting the desktop out of mainstream IT and gaming is going to be like trying to get the American Economy to get rid of the dollar currency. A desktop, hands down, will get you the most power for your dollar. I understand laptops allow for mobility, but let's be honest. If you are going to play Diablo 3, you aren't going to go to the local starbucks and sit and play for an hour and hop off (at least not most gamers).

To get the most bang for your buck, you will be wanting to get a desktop. Laptops don't have the high powered capability that desktops have (nor the heat dissipation). There are numerous articles, research documents, and educational resources that point to desktops outclassing laptops.

Anyways, as for your statement of comparing Diablo 3 to WoW. That's comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they are both games. However, they run on different engines and the specs will be different than WoW. Otherwise, they could just have a universal spec for all their games. Unfortunately, that is not the case.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 06:38 AMPosted by Locust
I'm also not a big fan of gimmicky deals like buying a year's subscription of WoW. I was cautious of it and stayed away. That's just my preference though, I don't like 'contracts' wherever I can avoid them.

You, sir, are a smart smart man....with I had been so far-sighted!

Blizzard - fool me once.......
Reply Quote
Good point locust
so here what i came up with
with the 6670
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0382891

I will have to upgrade my PSU to a 400-500 , bc mine is only a 300.( this is fine )

Here are the Specs on my current pc i know not special so plz dont flame lol

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1008835/1008835sp3.shtml

NOW say i go right now buy the PSU and the 6670 will it be compatiable to this system .... fingers crossed
Reply Quote
Good point locust
with the 6670

I will have to upgrade my PSU to a 400-500 , bc mine is only a 300.( this is fine )

NOW say i go right now buy the PSU and the 6670 will it be compatiable to this system .... fingers crossed

If you upgrade the ram to about 2-4GB (which is also not very expensive nowadays) I think you will be ok with that setup. You need to make sure your motherboard has a pci-e slot for the video card.

Edit: Scratch that. I just saw you have one pci-e slot
Edited by Theenternet#1969 on 5/16/2012 6:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 06:39 AMPosted by Theenternet
Are you serious? I mean, if you were exaggerating some, please let me know. I have been in the IT world in the military and civilian world since I was 12 years old (obviously, Military started at 18 for me) and now I am going on 27. Desktops being like 8-tracks? Shifting the desktop out of mainstream IT and gaming is going to be like trying to get the American Economy to get rid of the dollar currency.

I am serious, and I worked in the IT industry for 20+ years and am going on 51. Hardware manufacturers will follow the windblow, and if mainstream business wants small, faster, portable units, that's what they'll build. Look at old Beta vcrs....they were superior in almost every way but one..the record time the tapes would allow...mass consumer usage and demand pushed beta out. Smaller, faster, and more portable is the future. If you want a desktop 5 or 10 years from now, be prepared to build it from archaic parts and technology.
Reply Quote
@ Locust

I understand what you are saying, and I accept the fact that I play on a crappy old (4 years) Laptop. Here's what I DON'T like about all this: Blizzard got thousands of their loyal paying customers to commit to a year "subscription" to WoW with the promise of D3. I don't care if it runs or not. Years ago I played the original Diablo...never really liked it, and stopped. The fact that I can't run D3 is unimportant to me. I just don't like the way Blizzard approached WoW customers. Thats all...

BTW, your post was VERY informative and helpful, thank you

Well after dealing with EA and SWTOR? Blizzard looks much better lol. I spent close to 200 dollars on my CE SWTOR game and the game is already dead/dying as far as pvp. Add to that? The optimization in that game and the game engine is laughable. A Sandy Bridge at 4.5 ghz with SLI monster cards crawls to a halt in large scale pvp in that game (when it existed).

It took seeing how bad EA was, to appreciate Blizzard, rofl. :)
Reply Quote
I'm in the same situation that my video card is unsupported. This is my laptops specs:
HP G62 Notebook PC
Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU
T4500 @ 2.30 GHz
3.00 GB
64-bit Operating System

I'm wondering what I should do, either get a new desktop computer or would getting a better video card work and be able to run Diablo 3 smoothly?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Well after dealing with EA and SWTOR? Blizzard looks much better lol. I spent close to 200 dollars on my CE SWTOR game and the game is already dead/dying as far as pvp. Add to that? The optimization in that game and the game engine is laughable. A Sandy Bridge at 4.5 ghz with SLI monster cards crawls to a halt in large scale pvp in that game (when it existed).It took seeing how bad EA was, to appreciate Blizzard, rofl. :)

I can understand that. One of the reasons I started playing WoW was the reputation Blizzard had with customer service. Seems they may have adopted an EA model of customer service though
Reply Quote
Good point locust
with the 6670

If you upgrade the ram to about 2-4GB (which is also not very expensive nowadays) I think you will be ok with that setup. You need to make sure your motherboard has a pci-e slot for the video card.

Edit: Scratch that. I just saw you have one pci-e slot

HEY I HAVE A PCI-E slot so goood !@#$! thx for all the help guys BLIZZARD SHOULD HIRE YOU! ;)hopefully i can get this going today :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
BTW..all opinions are welcome. Since it looks like I may need a new system, and don't want to spend alot of dough (the wife would kill me LOL) let me ask...

New LAPTOP, or

New DESKTOP?

Opinions please
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 06:46 AMPosted by Galadriël
Are you serious? I mean, if you were exaggerating some, please let me know. I have been in the IT world in the military and civilian world since I was 12 years old (obviously, Military started at 18 for me) and now I am going on 27. Desktops being like 8-tracks? Shifting the desktop out of mainstream IT and gaming is going to be like trying to get the American Economy to get rid of the dollar currency.

I am serious, and I worked in the IT industry for 20+ years and am going on 51. Hardware manufacturers will follow the windblow, and if mainstream business wants small, faster, portable units, that's what they'll build. Look at old Beta vcrs....they were superior in almost every way but one..the record time the tapes would allow...mass consumer usage and demand pushed beta out. Smaller, faster, and more portable is the future. If you want a desktop 5 or 10 years from now, be prepared to build it from archaic parts and technology.

You are forgetting one thing. We are hitting a wall in the computer industry and it is called heat. You can only go so small on the die's. Moore's law is over. The Star Trek Holodeck isn't coming anytime soon. Tablets are awesome, and so are laptops, but it isn't gettting much faster. It took YEARS to make a faster gaming chip then the e8400 which could overclock to 4ghz at damn near stock voltage. All people were doing was adding cores, and the speed never got any faster on the cores. Sandy Bridge changed it a bit but again the problem is heat.

Cooling is going to lead to any future speed breakthroughs and allowing things in a small case.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]