Diablo® III

Video Card Unsupported - Can't Play Diablo 3

@TimBoSlice

I'm thinking yes, that would work. Your CPU would be the next bottleneck, but a new setup like that would probably run the game better.
Edited by Locust#6730 on 5/16/2012 6:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
You are forgetting one thing. We are hitting a wall in the computer industry and it is called heat. You can only go so small on the die's. Moore's law is over. The Star Trek Holodeck isn't coming anytime soon. Tablets are awesome, and so are laptops, but it isn't gettting much faster. It took YEARS to make a faster gaming chip then the e8400 which could overclock to 4ghz at damn near stock voltage. All people were doing was adding cores, and the speed never got any faster on the cores. Sandy Bridge changed it a bit but again the problem is heat. Cooling is going to lead to any future speed breakthroughs and allowing things in a small case

And you don't think a "breakthrough" in cooling isn't coming...technological breakthroughs usually appear once the current sales levels have topped out. Once people have all the current technology they can buy, along comes a breakthrough...it's commerce, not science, that holds things up...
Reply Quote
BTW..all opinions are welcome. Since it looks like I may need a new system, and don't want to spend alot of dough (the wife would kill me LOL) let me ask...

New LAPTOP, or

New DESKTOP?

Opinions please

Desktop is always the way to go for gaming, unless you have a ton of cash.

A 400-500 dollar computer that you build yourself will max this game. mmo-champion.com usually has builds every once in awhile. Youtube videos show you how to do every step (it is like playing legos), and add to that you can go to tom's hardware (website) and view benchmarks of diablo 3 to see what is the best bang for the buck (cpu wise) and GPU wise.

A 500 dollar desktop will clownstomp a 1000 dollar laptop. A 700 dollar desktop will clownstomp the best laptop you can buy (2000 dollar and up alienwares).

You could prob get a 700-800 dollar laptop that will run the game decent. Just do lot's and lot's of research, read reviews on newegg.com and elsewhere, and be prepared for heat problems if gaming on it more then casually.
Reply Quote
I'm in the same situation that my video card is unsupported. This is my laptops specs:

I'm wondering what I should do, either get a new desktop computer or would getting a better video card work and be able to run Diablo 3 smoothly?

You are one of the people with a laptop that is simply incapable of running the game. The key is, again, integrated graphics. If you want to play the game you will need a rig that can do so. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 06:46 AMPosted by Galadriël
Are you serious? I mean, if you were exaggerating some, please let me know. I have been in the IT world in the military and civilian world since I was 12 years old (obviously, Military started at 18 for me) and now I am going on 27. Desktops being like 8-tracks? Shifting the desktop out of mainstream IT and gaming is going to be like trying to get the American Economy to get rid of the dollar currency.

I am serious, and I worked in the IT industry for 20+ years and am going on 51. Hardware manufacturers will follow the windblow, and if mainstream business wants small, faster, portable units, that's what they'll build. Look at old Beta vcrs....they were superior in almost every way but one..the record time the tapes would allow...mass consumer usage and demand pushed beta out. Smaller, faster, and more portable is the future. If you want a desktop 5 or 10 years from now, be prepared to build it from archaic parts and technology.

In terms of enterprise, yes. I agree with you 100%. In enterprise, we are mostly moving our county systems over to thinclients, tablets, and the like. However, for gaming, it's another story. Believe me. Portable does not equal better. We aren't at the point in our technology where we are making really awesome cutting edge systems the size of a gameboy yet. That's why desktops won't become obsolete for a long long long long time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Brucelee

I have a ton of cash, the wife just won't let me spend it! LOL LOL LOL
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 06:58 AMPosted by Galadriël

I have a ton of cash, the wife just won't let me spend it! LOL LOL LOL

God, story of my life.
Reply Quote
New LAPTOP, or New DESKTOP?

You can buy a brand new desktop for <$800 that would be the about the minimum for Diablo 3 or second hand possibly a better price. I'd vote Desktop, unless you travel a lot and want to play D3 on the go. Laptops can be great, but a truly good laptop is going to cost a lot more. Desktops are just better at running games; they're better value, run cooler and run faster.

Get a laptop if you are prepared to spend ~$1000 and really need the mobility.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 06:57 AMPosted by Theenternet
In terms of enterprise, yes. I agree with you 100%. In enterprise, we are mostly moving our county systems over to thinclients, tablets, and the like. However, for gaming, it's another story. Believe me. Portable does not equal better. We aren't at the point in our technology where we are making really awesome cutting edge systems the size of a gameboy yet. That's why desktops won't become obsolete for a long long long long time.

I think, once the general computer using public is using tablets, etc...gamers will all be pushed aside to dedicated gamming oh..what's the word...consoles...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Posted by GaladriëlDesktop is always the way to go for gaming, unless you have a ton of cash.I have a ton of cash, the wife just won't let me spend it! LOL LOL LOLGod, story of my life.

Funny how so many husbands are in the same boat!
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 07:00 AMPosted by Galadriël

I think, once the general computer using public is using tablets, etc...gamers will all be pushed aside to dedicated gamming oh..what's the word...consoles...

That will be a sad day, indeed.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 07:00 AMPosted by Locust
Get a laptop if you are prepared to spend ~$1000 and really need the mobility.

I don't need the mobility, I just prefer to sit on my couch with my laptop while I watch sports...LOL
Reply Quote
Then you have a dilemma. Once a desktop PC is planted you won't be moving it around :P

If you like to sit around with a smaller device then go with a laptop. Are you in the US? Newegg seems like a good place to get great value. I'm not, I'm in Australia, but my 2 year old laptop was $1100 when I bought it and I'm sure it would run D3 on medium/low settings. You could get the same laptop for about $800 now.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Then you have a dilemma. Once a desktop PC is planted you won't be moving it around :PIf you like to sit around with a smaller device then go with a laptop. Are you in the US? Newegg seems like a good place to get great value. I'm not, I'm in Australia, but my 2 year old laptop was $1100 when I bought it and I'm sure it would run D3 on medium/low settings. You could get the same laptop for about $800 now.

Canada actually..and my laptop was 1500 new when I bought it 4 years ago...I don't really object to a new machine every now and then, that's not the point I was originally trying to make. I just object to the way Blizz got me (and other customers) to commit to a year of WoW as a carrot for D3, that's all
Reply Quote
Then you have a dilemma. Once a desktop PC is planted you won't be moving it around :P

If you like to sit around with a smaller device then go with a laptop. Are you in the US? Newegg seems like a good place to get great value. I'm not, I'm in Australia, but my 2 year old laptop was $1100 when I bought it and I'm sure it would run D3 on medium/low settings. You could get the same laptop for about $800 now.

Exactly. My laptop is 3 years old, was $1000+ when I bought it, and it meets all the other recommended system requirements. It makes no sense for a game to refuse to run because of an old card. I don't care how bad it would look - even Skyrim could run on this laptop at minimum settings.

Granted, I do also have a desktop, but my desktop weighs like 35 lbs. I can't carry that sh*t around. Now I'm stuck at the office doing actual work.
Edited by TheVelourFog#1271 on 5/16/2012 7:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
05/16/2012 07:12 AMPosted by TheVelourFog
Granted, I do also have a desktop, but my desktop weighs like 35 lbs. I can't carry that sh*t around. Now I'm stuck at the office doing actual work.

Actual work!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

lol
Reply Quote
Well part of what I was saying is that, although my laptop is old and wasn't very expensive, it does have dedicated graphics - the necessary and primary component to playing games.
Reply Quote
didn't they say there's a list of graphic cards that can open up the game but really crappy performance, maybe somebody can like, make a mod like what they did to skyrim and do it on diablo 3?
Reply Quote
Lol I bypassed the error in d3prefs and I immediately got my first death. Didn't even know I was being attacked.

It was almost bearable after I set resolution and max fps all the way down, though. I just have to move a lot slower now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]