Diablo® III

*Spoiler* My friends and I cry...

90 Night Elf Druid
It seemed fitting in the Diablo 3 universe for one of the most iconic characters to be killed off in such a pedestrian way. While I'm sure a lot of people didn't like it I enjoyed it because it's a great example of how sometimes people don't get what they deserve, and you don't see that enough in any narration let alone a video game story.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 05:52 AMPosted by Eadoin
It seemed fitting in the Diablo 3 universe for one of the most iconic characters to be killed off in such a pedestrian way. While I'm sure a lot of people didn't like it I enjoyed it because it's a great example of how sometimes people don't get what they deserve, and you don't see that enough in any narration let alone a video game story.

To pull a trite example, Ned Stark didn't get what he deserved but his death still served a great narrative purpose.

The only reason for Cain to die was 'why doesnt Cain expose Adria and her sham Black Soulstone plan since he should know what it was about and that Kulle was a crazy double-crosser and... TOO MANY QUESTIONS, LET'S JUST KILL HIM OFF EARLY'.
Reply Quote
It's a shame that he didn't live long enough to see his beloved Leah turn into the most powerfully evil creature in all of existence. He would have probably died from a heart attack at that point anyway. Being laser beamed by a fairy seems, even if just a little, better than dying of a heart attack.

But in all seriousness, she wasn't a fairy. She was a woman who got carried around by two ugly insects on her shoulders. I feel like the real victim here was Magda. Being flown around by two vicious insects all day, her legs must be so weak and she can't stand on her own anymore. When she was a young girl, she dreamed of becoming a doctor and saving people. Now she's just a puppet to those evil moths... it's a sad story.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 06:12 AMPosted by Ichorid

To pull a trite example, Ned Stark didn't get what he deserved but his death still served a great narrative purpose.

The only reason for Cain to die was 'why doesnt Cain expose Adria and her sham Black Soulstone plan since he should know what it was about and that Kulle was a crazy double-crosser and... TOO MANY QUESTIONS, LET'S JUST KILL HIM OFF EARLY'.

Ned Stark was killed due to the consequences of the choices he made. Anyone can understand and appreciate that.

Deckard Cain was captured off-screen and killed by a character with less than 5 minutes of screentime. No one can appreciate that.

Difference here? Better writing (Not to say GRRM is a good writer, but its hell of a lot better than D3's writers).
Reply Quote
If anything, it -did- spur me to anger, and I wanted to kill Maghda.

So, it did serve -that- purpose...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I agree, blizzard killed two of the three iconic Diablo Chars in one game (im assuming Diablo himself is still very much alive) I really liked Cain and Angel Tyreal was badass, a mortal tyreal just is not the same
Reply Quote
I agree, blizzard killed two of the three iconic Diablo Chars in one game (im assuming Diablo himself is still very much alive) I really liked Cain and Angel Tyreal was badass, a mortal tyreal just is not the same
I've killed him three damn times already he better stay dead.
Reply Quote
I would not be surprised if they killed of Tyrael in an expansion, as it seem Blizzard really do not like their own characters. First they kill of Cain, one of the most iconic Diablo characters... And then they kill of the completly new character Leah, whom I thought would take over for Cain... wierd writing if you ask me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]