the first gives me
21.1 dps
20 Intel
5% extra xp on monsters killed

The second gives me
25.5 dps
3-4+ dmg
39 extra mana

Now I assumed that I should just stack intel but I notice that all spells are related to your weapon damage

When I equip the second weapon my damage increases by 30 points, but my intel drops (obviously)

Now does that mean that my damage is lower? or that higher seeing as intel dropped...or should I just ignore that if It tells me my damage has increased??

Pretty confused actually...
Reply Quote
woah my head hurts

good question though
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/16/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Zavala
When I equip the second weapon my damage increases by 30 points, but my intel drops (obviously)

i'm not sure why your intel would drop.... why would it not stay the same when adding the second weapon
Reply Quote
100 intel is worth 100% damage increase (correct me if im wrong)

so you need to do the math to see if the intellect is enough to overcome the damage difference

edit: so if you have 20 intel, that is 20% damage increase. If your dps is 10 with 20 intel
that would mean net 12 dps.

If you have another weapon with 14 dps and zero intel, then the math tells you to skip the intel and go with the higher dps weapon

hope that helps (just regurgitating what smarter people have posted)
Edited by Sloth#1604 on 5/16/2012 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah sorry it's just i'm lvl 24 and haven't switched up my weapon from lvl 17-ish. Have plenty of yellow items sitting around with the +2-4 dmg on them that seem to really boost my stats but lower my intel

Stuck on that part of the game
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
05/16/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Xips

i'm not sure why your intel would drop.... why would it not stay the same when adding the second weapon

Because you can't duel wield ceremonial daggers? and the second dagger has no intel on it
Reply Quote
100 intel is worth 100% damage increase (correct me if im wrong)

so you need to do the math to see if the intellect is enough to overcome the damage difference

1 int = 1 dmg + .1 resistance

so 20 int = 20 dmg + 2 resist

OP: I don't know the attack speed or min/max weapon dmg, but the game is telling you that your abilities will do +30 dmg if you use the second weapon at the expense of 2 resist.
Reply Quote
I've been wondering the same thing. As far as I can tell, the DPS listed on the character sheet IS your DPS. Since the weapon DPS contributes to this, as well as intel, trading weapon DPS for intel can be beneficial. It's counter-intuitive as you're not using your weapon for your magic but it seems to be the way it works.
Reply Quote
Derpes

1 int = 1 dmg

I am not sure, but i think you mean 1%. so at 10 dmg plus 100 int. You will do 20 damage, not 120.
Reply Quote
If I'm not mistaken the damage number in your inventory UI is accurate and includes changes in int. If it does not I would question its usefulness.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
05/16/2012 11:36 AMPosted by PwnScones
If I'm not mistaken the damage number in your inventory UI is accurate and includes changes in int. If it does not I would question its usefulness.

This is what I wanted to find out, stacking int seems to be the wrong way to go in terms of dmg

Was hanging onto all sorts of crap with int on it. If it's accurate and takes into account int loss then thats good to know
Reply Quote
I'd go with dagger #2.

If 1 point of INT increases dmg by 1%, then you're looking at a total DPS of 25.32 for dagger #1.

Right?
Reply Quote
'd go with dagger #2.

If 1 point of INT increases dmg by 1%, then you're looking at a total DPS of 25.32 for dagger #1.

Right?

assuming there are no other stats in play that looks correct. So if the +dmg stat is added AFTER the dps listed on the item, then number 2 should be better.

However if you have other items with, say +20 total damage, then you have to take 21.1+20 = 41.1 x .2 = 8 additional damage. So you have to look at the whole picture. The UI is probably the easiest way to check
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Indeed it is strange. I had two rings with 2-4 bonus damage on them. I replaced them with two 15int rings and the damage on my UI went down. What's the point of int if bonus damage is better? I'm not getting extra mana.
Reply Quote
^ because you are low lvl. When you are lvl 60 and your 10 int is 10% of 1000 damage, that is 100 damage. compared to +10 additional damage, int doesnt look so bad anymore

edit: was in response to 2 above me. Poster directly above made point much more clear i think
Edited by Sloth#1604 on 5/16/2012 11:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think you don't need do the calculations by yourself. The dps on your character panel is the calculated dps.
Reply Quote
Here is a rough calculation on how it works:

+1 int = +1% damage.

If you have 100 int, you are adding +100% damage.

Lets say, for example, you have two daggers:

Dagger 1 stats
10 damage
+ 2-3 damage
= net 12 - 13 damag

Dagger 2 stats
10 damage
+10 int
= net 12 damage

In this case, you would want dagger #1. Seems like damage is the better stat now.

Now lets say in 30 levels you are again torn between two daggers.

Dagger 1
500 damage
+40-50 damage
= 540 - 550 damage

Dagger 2
500 damage
+100 int
= 500 base + 100% = 1,000 damage

Seems like you take dagger two now.

In short, you want to make sure you have a good mix of + Damage, + Int, +vit (survivability), and +IAS.
Reply Quote
The damage it shows on your character screen on the left side is an aggregate of your weapon damage, damage modifiers, attack speed, and crit chance/damage. That means that when the tooltip shows that a weapon increases your damage, it has taken into effect all of the modifiers (like Int).

An important thing to note is that (from what I can tell) the intelligence you already have will modify the +damage on weapons (as well as your attack speed etc.). What I think can be taken from this is that +damage is superior to +Int unless it is a huge amount.

The weapon damage from Int is pretty easy to calculate because its just plus percent damage. Plus flat damage is modified by everything including Int.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]